What to improve?

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited September 2, 2007 in People
What can i do to improve this shot? I see something, like shiness on her forehead, and may be crop or anything else? I can't pin point. I've been staring at it too long :dunno

Thank you for any suggestions.

189804459-M-1.jpg
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Hi Marina,

Just my first impressions, you might want to try a tighter crop (off the top - to where the adult's part in her hair begins after bangs flip and from left to right - from the left in to where the cuff of the sweatshirt is visible and the child's leg almost hits the corner) I'm undecided if any crop from the right is necessary... It appears a little too blue-green to me esp. on the flesh areas and you already mentioned the shine on the forehead but I'd probably also treat the shine in the adult's hair esp. on top.

Hope this helps. I do like the image very much.

Take care,
    - Deanna
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Thank you Deanna, i appreciate you taking time and commenting. I'll have to play with this to see what i can do.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 31, 2007
    I agree with Deanna about a tighter crop. I would leave the right edge alone and crop the rest. The shiny forehead is a minor problem, which shouldn't be too hard to fix. There's something about the skin tone of the mom that bothers me, but I'm not exactly sure why. Too neutral? ne_nau.gif Maybe more contrast?

I think it's a nice shot nevertheless. You could just crop it a bit and call it a day.

Cheers,
    edited August 31, 2007
    Thank you Richard for your efforts!! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Hi Marina!

First of all I like your picture! Is it you in it?

Anyway, the picture is cool because the subjects look good, and they display really precious expressions IMHO. thumb.gif

I think that one reason you may not be completely happy with it is lighting. It looks like you have used very direct lighting, like in-camera flash and this usually produces certain shadows (look below the woman's shin, and behind the baby's arms) to which you might object. It is also responsible for the shininess on the forehead you mention.

If I were you, really, I would leave this picture as is (because I really like it, most of all) and on future pics I would try different things in lighting just for the sake of trying and finding out what they could do. Things like natural light from a window, or flash bounced on the ceiling... There's a chance one of those might give the results you want.

Hope I could help some.
    Thanks for your attention!
    And take care!

-- thiago
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 2, 2007
    nice shot and some good advice-
  • m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Interesting shot you got there.
    Alex Q.
    edited September 2, 2007
    Hi Marina!

First of all I like your picture! Is it you in it?

Anyway, the picture is cool because the subjects look good, and they display really precious expressions IMHO. thumb.gif

I think that one reason you may not be completely happy with it is lighting. It looks like you have used very direct lighting, like in-camera flash and this usually produces certain shadows (look below the woman's shin, and behind the baby's arms) to which you might object. It is also responsible for the shininess on the forehead you mention.

If I were you, really, I would leave this picture as is (because I really like it, most of all) and on future pics I would try different things in lighting just for the sake of trying and finding out what they could do. Things like natural light from a window, or flash bounced on the ceiling... There's a chance one of those might give the results you want.

Hope I could help some.
    Thanks for your attention!
    And take care!

-- thiago

Thank you Thiago for a good advice! This was just a snap shot of my sister and her little girl. It turned out better then i expected, and yes, i used in camera flash, which is why it shines Laughing.gif. I just bought new flash and will be experimenting with future photos.
    Thank you again!!! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300