New to the Macro World, need advice re: equipment :)

DonnaMcDonnaMc Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited September 14, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hello everyone...

I was thinking I should ask for some advice regarding the equipment required for sharp macro photography.

I currently have a Nikon D50 with a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens and a Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-f6.3 Di and SB600 external flash. I quickly realized that these lenses alone cannot achieve the 1:1 ratio that is desired for a decent closeup.

Unfortunately, a new dedicated macro lens is not yet in my budget. My question to the group is what is the best option for me to take sharp macros. Im interested in photographing dewdrops, flowers, bugs, etc.

I have read that a lens reversing ring, extension tubes or close-up filters may help, but will the results be any good? Am I better off saving for a macro lens? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

P.S. I also notice that many macro photographers use Canons. I may be opening the floor for debate here but are Canons considered superior to Nikons for their macro capabilities? I read that they do offer the 5:1 macro lens, but other than that is there much difference?

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    The best solution I think to get to 1:1 would be to get a set of auto Extension tubes and use them with your 50mm lens. That will give you just above 1:1 capability. Kenko or Jessops in the UK or Pro-optic (Adorama) in the US all do sets.
    Only advantage of canon over Nikon AFAIK is purely the ability to use the MPE-65 lens you mention.
    Further down the line if you are still interested in macro then the ext tubes will work well with a 1:1 macro lens allowing you to get to around 2:1 magnification.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    DonnaMc wrote:
    Hello everyone...

I was thinking I should ask for some advice regarding the equipment required for sharp macro photography.

I currently have a Nikon D50 with a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens and a Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-f6.3 Di and SB600 external flash. I quickly realized that these lenses alone cannot achieve the 1:1 ratio that is desired for a decent closeup.

Unfortunately, a new dedicated macro lens is not yet in my budget. My question to the group is what is the best option for me to take sharp macros. Im interested in photographing dewdrops, flowers, bugs, etc.

I have read that a lens reversing ring, extension tubes or close-up filters may help, but will the results be any good? Am I better off saving for a macro lens? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

P.S. I also notice that many macro photographers use Canons. I may be opening the floor for debate here but are Canons considered superior to Nikons for their macro capabilities? I read that they do offer the 5:1 macro lens, but other than that is there much difference?

Hi there Donna,

I'm with Brian on recommending the Extention Tubes.
    They are light and really do come in handy.

Lens reversal is not something I have been successful with at all ne_nau.gif
    Far less mucking around using Kenko Tubes.

But...... that lens you speak of, the 5:1 ohhhhhhhhh Lordy Lordy,
    this lens is truely amazing clap.gif only available in one Brand - CANON -

..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    HI Donna ,I couldnt agree mor with Brian and Skippy.
    A set of 3 extension tubes will do so much for you .
    I use them with my macro lens ,50mm1.8 and a 70-210 push pull at 100mm for bigger subjects.
    If you buy used make sure theyre the new ones with cpu pins so you can ajust your f stop and have metering.
  • DonnaMcDonnaMc Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Thank you!
    Many thank Brian, Skippy and Dave! Well, I feel more confident now about getting extension tubes, they do seem like the best choice and its great that they can be used with a macro lens down the road. I am leaning towards the Kenko set to use with the 50mm. I am looking forward to seeing how it will change my photos and I hope to have some to post soon!!

Cheers!
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Donna, wanna buy my lens :D I'm selling darn thing, it's beautiful, sharp as a razor, but unfortunatelly, i found myself not enjoying macro as much as would. It's new, i used it couple of times, just not my thing ne_nau.gif

Mine is Sigma 105 F/2.8, if you're interested that is.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited September 8, 2007
    Hi all,
    The kenko tubes are ordered from B&H and should be here this week :) (no retailler in my city has extension tubes for sale!?). I am looking forward to exploring what they can do for me.

In response to the lens for sale, I have to recover from the extension tube purchase and explore macro a bit first, but this may be something I will be interested in purchasing over the coming months, if it is still available for sale.

Well, hope to be able to post some pics soon!

Thanks!!!!
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Donna, wanna buy my lens :D I'm selling darn thing, it's beautiful, sharp as a razor, but unfortunatelly, i found myself not enjoying macro as much as would. It's new, i used it couple of times, just not my thing ne_nau.gif

Mine is Sigma 105 F/2.8, if you're interested that is.

That's a hellova nice lens!
    Least ya gave it a shot with the right lens. thumb.gif
    I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it....iloveyou.gif mine!!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Mark WaldschmidtMark Waldschmidt Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Can anyone suggest how to get better macro shots
    I use A Canon EOD Digital Rebel, the first one. I have the standard lens that came with it, and a Canon EF 70-200mm1:4 L USM, and a Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG Macro. I take tons of bug pictures, nature shots, but after looking at the work on this site, I feel like I suck. The sharpness is incredible. What am I doing wrong.

Please tell me what you think of my stuff, pardon the annoying watermarks. http://home.comcast.net/~marklori43/
    edited September 13, 2007
    First macros :)
    Well, the extension tubes arrived today and I really love them. Couldn't believe how close up I could get to various things when using them with the 50mm f1.8 Nikkor. I have a new appreciation for other's superior focusing and stacking techniques after witnessing the extremely shallow depth of field you have to work with! I took a few pics with the tubes just handholding and using dedicated flash on camera, I cheated by doing all this indoors playing with flowers and water (too cold here to go outside!). Thought I would share a few below. I have some practicing to do :)

1) 50mm with 52mm extension tube attached. Hard to keep it all in focus even when it seems like I am directly above it.

195331829-M.jpg

2) 50mm with 52mm of ext tubes, will practice this, its easier to see the benefits of stacking after trying this on my own :)
    195331661-M.jpg

3) More practice, 50mm with 52mm ext tubes, my bf is holding the bg flower for me

195331343-M.jpg

4) Just playing with depth of field, 24mm extension tube with 50mm

195331853-M.jpg
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    Lovely first shots using the ext tubes :)
    Brian V.
  • D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    Off to a roaring start .good job