1287017613_ebce1b1b96_o.jpg

Mosquito

1287017621_75df4e8668_o.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    :whew
    Wonderful
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Wow! Another awesome set! clap.gif Your posts ALWAYS impress me!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    The spider looks gravity-defying! It almost surprises me how something so plump can seem weightless when the web is invisible.

Holy cow I can't believe the variety of colors in the mosquito eyes!
  • PhilHPhilH Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Absolutely awesome once again thumb.gif

What has happened to the Sawfly's left antenna/thingy?
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Thanks for looking and commenting everyone- much appreciated :)

Phil- the nearside antennae on the sawfly is suffering from a problem with focus stacking . The end of it was oof in all the photos but the stacking software is trying to put the in focus BG there instead. There wasn't and easy way to correct this.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Some recent bug shots from the garden.
    Brian V.

Orb web spider
    Hoverfly egg laying
    Sawfly portrait
    Wingless bark fly
    Dance fly Empis sp
    Mosquito

Hold the BUS! Details, details I want details rolleyes1.gif

The Orb on the Web, is that an MPE-65 shot? and is it stacked?
    If it is an MPE-65 what did you shoot at ? x2, x3 ?

This entire series is yet another Awesome Insight into the Wonderful World of Macro and Nature clap.gif :ivar

Excellent work thumb.gif ........... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited September 1, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hold the BUS! Details, details I want details rolleyes1.gif

The Orb on the Web, is that an MPE-65 shot? and is it stacked?
    If it is an MPE-65 what did you shoot at ? x2, x3 ?

This entire series is yet another Awesome Insight into the Wonderful World of Macro and Nature clap.gif :ivar

Excellent work thumb.gif ........... Skippy :D
    I thought the shots had quite a lot of detail ne_nau.gifmwink.gif

Skippy all the shots are with the MPE-65. All are focus stacked except the hoverfly in #2. Think I was shooting the orb web spider somewhere between 1:1 and 1.5:1. Most of the other shots except the hoverfly are at higher mags- think the mossie is at 5:1.
    Brian v.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Super set Brian thumb.gif The detail on the Mozzie is unbelievable.
    edited September 2, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Super set Brian thumb.gif The detail on the Mozzie is unbelievable.

Thanks Al,

These mossies sit on a fence panel just above the water barrel they hatched from- Luckily I don't seem to get bitten by them.
    Brian v.
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Never thought a mosquito could look so beautiful--the eyes that is.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    fantastic work
    what lens ?
    edited September 2, 2007
    Thanks for looking and the kind comments T and Randy :)
    Randy - all with my MPE-65 lens
    Brian V.
  • KevinKevin Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    just great ;)

thanks brian
    Kevin.
    the Photo Muse: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com
  • drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007

Skippy all the shots are with the MPE-65. All are focus stacked except the hoverfly in #2. . . . I think the mossie is at 5:1.
    Brian v.

Awesome work Brian!clap.gif I have a 100mm f2.8, and haven't so much as touched a MPE-65 yet - I'm afraid that if I did, I'd have to buy it,iloveyou.gif especially after seeing that mossie!

I'd guess you'd have to use a tripod and maybe even a focussing rail to get that degree of sharpness when you're stacking at that magnification. Could you share your setup for high-mag shots like this?

Thanks,
    Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

edited September 4, 2007
    Kevin wrote:
    just great ;)

thanks brian
    Thanks for the comment Kevin :)
    Brian V.
    edited September 4, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Awesome work Brian!clap.gif I have a 100mm f2.8, and haven't so much as touched a MPE-65 yet - I'm afraid that if I did, I'd have to buy it,iloveyou.gif especially after seeing that mossie!

I'd guess you'd have to use a tripod and maybe even a focussing rail to get that degree of sharpness when you're stacking at that magnification. Could you share your setup for high-mag shots like this?

Thanks,
    Dane

Thanks for the comments Dane :)

No I don't use a tripod for high mag shots like the mossie, I just rest the lens on the same surface the subject is on. In this case the mossie was sitting on a fence panel. I've got pretty good at moving the camera in small increments for getting the shots for the stack. For shots of small bugs on leaves I quite often pick the leaf off and put that on a hard surface for the shot and do the same thing (I always put the leaf back where I got it unless the bug has flown).
    Camera setup is the one on the RHS in pic below.

Brian V.

166020261-M.jpg
  • drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    ... I don't use a tripod for high mag shots like the mossie, I just rest the lens on the same surface the subject is on. In this case the mossie was sitting on a fence panel. I've got pretty good at moving the camera in small increments for getting the shots for the stack.

Small increments, with surgical precision, I would say!bowdown.gif You must have well-trained bugs for them to sit quietly on flat surfaces for you - mine are usually perched on a plant with a breeze blowing, or at worst positioned in some awkward place, and I wind up in some kind of contorted position, somewhat akin to working under the dashboard of a car.
    For shots of small bugs on leaves I quite often pick the leaf off and put that on a hard surface for the shot and do the same thing (I always put the leaf back where I got it unless the bug has flown).

That confirms it - they ARE trained bugs!:D
    Camera setup is the one on the RHS in pic below.
    Brian V.

Thanks for the pic. Looks like a professional duct tape & paper towel job - now, that's creative! What's on the inside for supportive framework?

Add a basic flash bracket and a cheapo ball head (I assume that's what that black thing is), and you're armed and dangerous!

I've mainly used available light for the last few years (hence the tripod), but have recently added a dedicated flash and off-camera cord. I've balked at the bracket because I didn't think the basic ones would allow me get the flash out far enough to provide side light with my 100mm macro, expecially if it's less than 1:1 - and I didn't want to spring for a snazzy one from Kirk. I've had thoughts of making my own . . . anyone got a used bracket or ball head they want to part with?mwink.gif
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

edited September 4, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Small increments, with surgical precision, I would say!bowdown.gif You must have well-trained bugs for them to sit quietly on flat surfaces for you - mine are usually perched on a plant with a breeze blowing, or at worst positioned in some awkward place, and I wind up in some kind of contorted position, somewhat akin to working under the dashboard of a car.

That confirms it - they ARE trained bugs!:D

Thanks for the pic. Looks like a professional duct tape & paper towel job - now, that's creative! What's on the inside for supportive framework?

Add a basic flash bracket and a cheapo ball head (I assume that's what that black thing is), and you're armed and dangerous!

I've mainly used available light for the last few years (hence the tripod), but have recently added a dedicated flash and off-camera cord. I've balked at the bracket because I didn't think the basic ones would allow me get the flash out far enough to provide side light with my 100mm macro, expecially if it's less than 1:1 - and I didn't want to spring for a snazzy one from Kirk. I've had thoughts of making my own . . . anyone got a used bracket or ball head they want to part with?mwink.gif

Thanks for the comments :)
    The diffuser is made from coca-cola cans see http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/72157594312315664/

Yes the flash bracket is a cheapo vidcam light bracket with a cheapo ballhead fitted onto the top clamp fitting. For long lenses I just rotate the ballhead and straighten the flash- it quite happily reaches the end of my MPE- 65 which is pretty long at 5:1.

Brian V.
  • PhilHPhilH Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Phil- the nearside antennae on the sawfly is suffering from a problem with focus stacking . The end of it was oof in all the photos but the stacking software is trying to put the in focus BG there instead. There wasn't and easy way to correct this.
    Brian V.

Thanks for the explanation Brian but i'm curious on one point...

Macro is quickly becoming a passion with me and all my shots are hand held, do you use a tripod for some of your shots? I only ask this after you mention stacking.
    edited September 5, 2007
    PhilH wrote:
    Thanks for the explanation Brian but i'm curious on one point...

Macro is quickly becoming a passion with me and all my shots are hand held, do you use a tripod for some of your shots? I only ask this after you mention stacking.

Phil- I don't use a tripod, I either use a pole (used to be a metal bean pole but now I use a collapsible tent pole) which I grip in my left hand along with a bit of the camera or I simply rest the camera on something (often me).

Brian V.
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    i'll add my 'wow' too!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited September 6, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    i'll add my 'wow' too!

Thanks Tessa :)
    Brian V.