Scenery in Seward, Alaska

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited May 16, 2008 in Landscapes
My husband and I just had our 10th anneversary this weekend and spent most of a week down in Seward Alaska. Let me just say that though I live in Alaska, it was a blast to get out and see other environments within a couple hundred miles. Anyway, here are some of the shots I got during our fabulous week. Hope you like them and if you don't tell me so and why. I like a good critique!
BTW, this is my first time posting outside of the "people" category!
1. on the beach: (a little noisy, I didn't have time to run and get my flash and it was close to dark)
190061018-M.jpg
2. Spawned out salmon. (They are everywhere this time of year. There must have been 30 within just a couple of yards.) The seagulls already got to his eyes.
190060536-M.jpg
3. The view from "our lake" We rented a little awesome cabin right on the shores of Kenai lake and man was it beautiful. One morning during breakfast, as though our view wasn't good enough a bald eagle soared by right on the water line. Pretty amazing!

You can see the standing dead trees in the water. We surmise that they are some of the trees killed in the big earthquake in 1964 when the ground sunk 10 - 15 feet. There was lots of dead trees standing and fallen around the lake and driftwood everywhere. This lake is the spawning grounds of all the big kenai river king salmon. Yummie.
190065118-M.jpg
4. On the way to meet some friends for breakfast we were in road construction traffic. This shot was taken from inside the car through an open window over my husbands shoulder and the steering wheel. One of those can't stop, but my- how lovely.
190070966-M.jpg
5. I just love the monocrome colors of the next shot. 189938600-M.jpg

Well folks! thanks for looking! I hope that all of you have a chance some day to come to Seward, it was so beautiful!

Perhaps I will get to edit the pictures from our boat tour of the glaciers soon and be able to show you some Orcas from the trip.

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I love Alaska! :D Thanks for sharing!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Alaska would be my ultimate trip, i can't wait to visit this place. I will need 3 month vacation to see what i wanna see. Great shots! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    good capturesthumb.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • jstaytonjstayton Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2007
    I agree -- the monochrome colors of the 5th picture are wonderful!
  • JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Like your shots a lot, but, could do without the dead fish.
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    JGD wrote:

It's a mood piece mwink.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    They are all nice. Agree with CatOne. Keep the fish shot and story to go with it. :D
    Michael
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    JGD wrote:
    Sorry it bugged you.

But, yes I like it because of what it says- death bringing life... that whole sort of thing.

Besides, I thought it was strange- this fish looked absolutely perfect. (except for the eyes, of course) I have caught many a salmon that was in way worse shape than this guy. It was hard for me not to want to take him home for supper. Especailly when I went out to the docks and they had fresh salmon for like $15 per pound. :) I resisted the urge though.
  • toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    That looks like a really superb place. I like #4 the best of the lot there - well done!
    edited September 5, 2007
    It is beautiful! Thanks for your comments everyone!
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Thanks for sharing...
    I am also going to the Kenai peninsula for about ten days thie summer. I am spending five days in a fishing lodge on the kenai River but, don't have anything locked in for the other days.

Could you provide info on the cabin you stayed in on Kenai Lake? Was that convenient to Seward?
  • neasneapneasneap Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2008
    These are really great.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Very beautiful set !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited May 16, 2008
    Wow, I didn't expect this thread to be dredged up after all this time!
    Thanks everyone for your comments!