Options

Photo Stiching Software

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited September 4, 2007 in Finishing School
What is recommended for Photo Stitching Software on a PC? What should be avoided?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Photo-Stiching software
    RogersDA wrote:
    What is recommended for Photo Stiching Software on a PC? What should be avoided?

Thanks.

I use PanoFactory but I got it before CS3 shipped. CS3 supposedly has a much improved photo-stiching function.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited September 1, 2007
    Panorama Factory is a pretty nice tool. And it's reasonable in price too.

If you have CS3, it's even easier to stitch things.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    I found PTGui able to handle stuff that stymied PanoFactory. Both are good apps, PTGui is better.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    dmmattix wrote:
    I use PanoFactory but I got it before CS3 shipped. CS3 supposedly has a much improved photo-stiching function.
    Mike

I was looking at PanoFactory on the web. Thanks for the advice. As for CS3 I may be holding off on that as I have Creative Suite installed, so I have to upgrade the entire suite to get photoshop CS3. eek7.gif

ian48 wrote:
    Panorama Factory is a pretty nice tool. And it's reasonable in price too. If you have CS3, it's even easier to stitch things.

See above. Thanks for the help.
    I found PTGui able to handle stuff that stymied PanoFactory. Both are good apps, PTGui is better.

Thanks for the head-up. I will look into PTgui.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,217 moderator
    edited September 2, 2007
    As for PanoramaFactory, it now prepares images for HDR merging, but doesn't itself perform any HDR functions. Here's how it works:

If you have different exposures of the same subject, you stitch a panorama from one select exposure set. Then you select the Stitch for HDR function, import a second (or third, etc) set of images and it stitches to the same rules as the first (and is hugely faster than the first stitch set).

What you'll have is several identically stitched sets to import into whatever HDR engine of your preference, all perfectly aligned.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Most of these programs have a test or demo version you can install. Typically you'll be able to create water-marked panoramas.

Personally, I wound up buying Autopano Pro a few months ago (www.autopano.net). I'm happy with it. But I recommend shopping around.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,217 moderator
    edited September 3, 2007
    From the results I am seeing from all these various programs, and assuming the shooter has used their head in exposing the individual pictures properly (meaning manual everything), I don't believe there are any bad software packages out there among the leading 5.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    As for PanoramaFactory, it now prepares images for HDR merging, but doesn't itself perform any HDR functions. Here's how it works:

If you have different exposures of the same subject, you stitch a panorama from one select exposure set. Then you select the Stitch for HDR function, import a second (or third, etc) set of images and it stitches to the same rules as the first (and is hugely faster than the first stitch set).

What you'll have is several identically stitched sets to import into whatever HDR engine of your preference, all perfectly aligned.
    PTgui is on the same bandwagon and also includes the HDR stitching/tone mapping functions.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies