Newbie Here Looking to Get Better

MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited September 1, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello, I'm a total newb to dgrin as well as photography. In fact I was just poking around and found this forum today. I recently took some shots and I thought I'd enter one in the Man or Machine contest just for fun and some feedback. I would greatly appreciate your input on these shots.

Thank you,

Mark

Option 1:
190153616-M.jpg

Option 2:
189543560-L.jpg

Option 3:
190161968-M.jpg

Comments

• adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    hello there.
    For the contest option one is the most suitable. Plus points are the yellow bungees vs. blue B/G. very eye catching.
    It's a pity the the guy is dressed in drab brown and there's no eye contact.

All your shots have good focus and a nice tonal balance esp. the last one.

Keep it up.
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Hello, I'm a total newb to dgrin as well as photography. In fact I was just poking around and found this forum today. I recently took some shots and I thought I'd enter one in the Man or Machine contest just for fun and some feedback. I would greatly appreciate your input on these shots.

Thank you,

Mark

Option 1:
    Option 2:
    Option 3:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    ..., I'm a total newb to dgrin as well as photography.

Being a total newb isn't a bad place to be sometimes. Develop your point of view a bit before youe let all of us bozos tell you what it should be!

I know you've entered already, and that's fine, but I like the floating freeness of #1.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Welcome to Dgrin! I hope you find it as worthwhile a place to spend your time and grow from as I do!

I agree with shot #1 for it's simplicity, however, it would express the theme more strongly if there were more emotion in the face.

#3 would have been awesome if it weren't for the cone and ladder in the foreground obstructing the action. The front right corner could also do with a little darkening to stop the brightness from drawing the eye out of the frame.

Best of luck,
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Thank you for your comments! Many of the same thoughts went through my head as I looked at my pics. The drab brown in #1, the cone and ladder in #3 (I should have taken more shots from different angles).

I can adjust for the brown shirt, but the other things would be much harder to do anything with. If you hadn't seen the brown shirt before this, I wonder if you'd be able to tell I altered the color in PS.

190297089-L.jpg

Input I've received elsewhere people indicated they felt there was something incomplete or uncomfortable about the bungee shots (I kind of like the odd angles and simplicity and the feel of free-falling or flying). On the other hand, others felt the man working at night painted an interesting story and was more on theme for Man or Machine. I'm really soaking up all this input because everyone either brings something new that I hadn't thought of or reinforces my feelings.

I like the different shots for various reasons as well as dislike them to an extent for other reasons. Trying to figure out which one is more successful than another is almost impossible for me. I'm sure every one of you has wished you could enter more than one pic, haven't you?