Options

Would you crop this?

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited September 2, 2007 in Finishing School
As a newbie to photography, I'm just beginning to learn about when to crop & when not to. I've been debating for months now about the left side of this photo. I've even tried blacking out the background to the left. How would you crop it?

I'm here to learn so don't be gentle with me. :deal
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    LAB.ratLAB.rat Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    I like looking for a feeling of balance in a crop, not so much thinking about thirds or other "rules."

If it was important to me I might do this...

- pick a "real picture aspect ratio", like 3:2
    - look for a favorable crop, if necessary leaving me a small amount of work afterwards (had to darken the left upper corner here, not a first class job...; should have done the pink spot on the right as well maybe)
    - blur background (used lens blur filter)
    - slightly desaturate background
    - on a seperate 50% neutral gray layer, burn edges and spots which are still taking too much attention
    www.thelightsrightstudio.com/tutorials-video.htm
    - selective contrast/sharpening where I want it

... which is what I've done here, but you could do more still, because the colors are jumping out more than the faces :D

picturemz6.jpg
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Thanks for responding and taking a go at it. I'm aware of the thirds rule for horizons but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I must now dig out my Elements manual and get better acquainted with the program so I understand how you did what you did.headscratch.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography