Wet camera solutions

mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 4, 2007 in Cameras
I got caught in the rain last night with my camera. It got pretty wet but still works, sort of.

There is moisture in the top display area and this effects how that displays as well as the display in the view finder. Also it seems to have some simple function issues. It obviously needs to just be dried out.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do that? I am thinking large ziplock bag and a few of those little baggie things you get in shoes and clothes.

Do you think there is anything Canon can do for me? It is a Canon 30D and sadly no longer covered by the warrenty.
Brian Larter
brianlarter.com
aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
BG-E2 Battery Grip
50mm f/1.8 MK 1
28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
17-40mm L USM f/4.0

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    I have used a large freezer bag ziplock with a hole cut out for the lens. It does make it difficult to get feeback from the scree if its small. but it did the trick as long as you keep the camera level so the water doesn't run into the hole for the lens. There are more elegant solutions.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 1, 2007
    If the top LCD display is "foggy", it's probably not too bad. Just put the camera where the sun can shine on it to dry it out, or use a hair drier on very low heat and at a little distance.

If it is having difficulty displaying the information, then it got pretty wet inside and there may be other problems. I still think drying as quickly as possible (without baking the camera) is the best course of action for now.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Well, usually the driest location in the house is the oven. When I went to the ocean, and got dew all over my gear (it was a night shoot), when I came home I fired up the oven for a couple mins... then let it cool off for 5-10... put all my gear on cookie sheets in the oven for 3-4 hours... and it all came out good.

Also, I have an electric oven, so there is no pilot light. If you have gas, you should be good with the dryness in there as it stands.

I will warn you... DON'T COOK YOUR CAMERA IN THE OVEN!!! I also put post-it notes on the oven knobs and my monitor reminding me. You may also want to let everyone in your house know what you're doing so someone doesn't turn on the oven... well, if you decide to take this route.

Good luck and let us know what works for you...
  • mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    It is currently sitting in a large ziploack bag with silica with all the doors open. When i get home maybe I'll dry the over idea.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
    BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 2, 2007
    Take the batteries out of it, open it up and let it sit in a warm location. If it's
    got a battery grip, remove that or open the battery compartment. Just
    trying to give the moisture a way out by improving air circulation--however
    small it is.

As for the oven, I'd only use that technique if the camera belonged to
    someone else lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Done for
    Naaahh, all these guys are full of it. The camera's toast. Just send it to me, and I'll take the junk off your hands. I promise, if it ever dries out, I'll send it back. naughty.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.