Isn't there always a man somewhere behind a machine?

BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
edited September 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Alaskan Hauler

190345655-M.jpg

Windrower

190345663-M.jpg

New Mexico’s mountains and plains support different breeds of men. Some live in town, but haul to Alaska. Others live on the high plains, and have farmed for 60 years. Looking back, they've been good friends a long time.

Which of these images do you like the best? Comments and criticisms welcome!

TIA
Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
[/FONT]

What do You think? 1 vote

Impact
0% 0 votes
Composition
0% 0 votes
Technical
0% 0 votes
Other
100% 1 vote

Comments

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Joe, most definintely not! In my entry, that is my daughter's leg pushing that pedal.

1. I couldn't be on the bike and push the shutter at the same time, and
    2. I no longer shave my legs for my cycling!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:

ROTFLMAO......Good'un Mark!!

Bisti...I like number 2 FWIW.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Generic Man
    HoofClix wrote:

Mark,

Man is a generic term...

Did you appreciate either image?
    Joe

[/FONT]
    edited September 1, 2007
    Term unknown
    Tentacion wrote:
    ROTFLMAO......

Donna,

I am not familiar with this term...

Can you see any improvements to the images?
    Joe

[/FONT]
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Oops...ROTFLMAO = "Rolling On The Floor, Laughing My A@@ Off".

Bisti... here in the forum I have noticed that people like "Sharp, sharp, sharp" i.e. Words, People, Shreds of paper (lol). which sometimes I wonder why? when the words are NOT the central focal point to the photo, but a mere enhancement, if that...But if this is the case, then I would say your words need to be sharpened on the machine.. I myself, would add some dynamic contrast to the rust parts of the machine..and with your fantasitc digi editing skills, I would bring down the highlights on the left side of the machine...I think this photo is a photo that would look absolutely fabulous in a Dynamic, HDR format...but since your focus is the machine...I would defininetly enhance it..My eye sees more burn to the sky, almost a stormy and sunny day mix (does that make sense) making those golden hues of wheat burst...One other thing, I see is the "rake" part, I would add a little burn to the black lines to bring out the dimension of them...

But these are just my thoughts, and next to you, I am but a simple amatuer after viewing the work you did on your other Fair photo...

Sometimes I have LOTS of ideas, but tend NOT to express them when it comes to anyone's photography, cuz I don't want them thinking of me in a bad way...

Take Care and hope my thoughts do not offend..
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Windrower is very nice... The trees in Alaskan hauler look artaficially blured... the truck through the trailer muddles the whole thing up... Windrower is very nice! :D

Winston
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Windrower is very nice! :D

Winston
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Joe, most definintely not! In my entry, that is my daughter's leg pushing that pedal.

1. I couldn't be on the bike and push the shutter at the same time, and

1) That's what the timers and RCs are for deal.gif
    2) at this blur level, who cares mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Joe, must admit that neither image really moves me that much. And Ah yes.. Mankind is behind all machines..

Nikolai wrote:
    1) That's what the timers and RCs are for deal.gif
    2) at this blur level, who cares mwink.gif

I just knew that I'd get a comment on remotes, etc... I think a JD Power survey might have put a high probability on it being you... I did use a timer, but that's all for another thread later on..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited September 2, 2007
    Thanks Winston
    Windrower is very nice... Winston

Yep, Winston, I agree...

Alaskan Hauler
    At that PP point in that pic, I was still trying to master Quick Mask and get the trees under some control. With a very full Sat aft and nite, I put it up 'As Is', expecting someone would add several things about it, as you did.
    And, unfortunately, it was taken during the late early morning, when the light was past its alluring point. So, it seems flat.
    I could find no capacity to stand above the old trailer and get its bed with old boards to aid the loading process.

Windrower
    Windrower was one of those wait and pray the sun would peek thru the clouds at a good angle situations, then provide some spice for the image. When it finally did, I snapped the image then drove home.

As Donna sugggests below, I am in preliminary PP on it; will probably post an update today sometime before entry closing.
    Joe

[/FONT]
    edited September 2, 2007
    Thanks Mark
    HoofClix wrote:
    Joe, must admit that neither image really moves me that much. And Ah yes.. Mankind is behind all machines..

Mark,

As I sit thru judge after judge, occasionally gettin awards, I find their personal preferences tend to color their perceptions, beyond their knowledge of Impact, Composition, and Technical. When I first glance at an image, it can either 'catch' my eye or not. That 'catch' is a combination of impact and composition from the image and their own bias...

The two guys who 'provided' the machines for the image are seniors, have their own decided tastes, and live very different lives. I was impressed with their different choices in where and how they live.
    Windrower was within a quarter of a mile of the original adobe house where its owner was born... and is nearly his age.
    Mountains to the west were busy 'making weather'. The weather required some patience to simply capture the image...

and, ...I ain't done w the PP!

Thanks for your review...
    Joe

[/FONT]
    edited September 2, 2007
    Stay Tuned
    Tentacion wrote:
    Sometimes I have LOTS of ideas, but tend NOT to express them when it comes to anyone's photography, cuz I don't want them thinking of me in a bad way...

Take Care and hope my thoughts do not offend..
    Donna

Donna,

No offense taken! Never be afraid to pose thoughtful expression to others as you develop your own photographic tastes...

Yesterday's image posting was one of a series of tasks amidst a very full day. I like to have the freedom of letting an image sit at least a day after I began PP, before I do a final pass. Somehow, a night of sleep let's me come at this complicated photography process with a fresh eye!

As to your comments, I've looked at each one, and I think each one is cogent. One of my dynamic processes in this growth with LPS and other aspects of photography is an ongoing interaction with a mentor of 30 years photography experience. In the State Fair judging, one of the processes which was apparent was the simple fact each guy or gal really develops their own style.
    In the particular case of this mentor, one of the significant attributes of his style is an almost pastel awareness of subtle color ramifications. At the present time, he's simply way better than me. But, with time, as we go through images, I'm starting to get better.
    I also have a second mentor. Rather than subtle pastel colors, this guy's emphasis is on dramatic impact and startling images. As a youth, he wanted to be a painter, but ended up a Ph.D. in physics. Now, he's letting that painter 'come to the fore...'
    Naturally, a novice, caught between these two guys, I presently oscillate from subtle to dramatic. During that oscillation, I'm also teaching myself the finer points of CS3.
    These guys are first-place winners, both at camera club and State fair level.

As Paul Harvey might say, "... And now, stay tuned for the rest of the story!"
    Joe

[/FONT]
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Windrower is very nice...

Winston

That's my pick too.thumb.gif