Options

Celebration...and Freak-Out

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited September 5, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Well, I just took down my first solo show today. I had it hanging all of August in a local coffeeshop, and I sold nine prints! :barb I consider myself a complete noob, so I am so ecstatic that so many of my prints actually sold. And of the 1,000 business cards I kept there (courtesy of Overnight Prints, which did a great job) only 50 remain. :huh I couldn't believe that kind of traffic went through there. And I've made arrangements with the owner for another show next year. Woo-hoo! :ivar

Amid all this awesomeness, I've been contacted by the president of a local creative marketing firm. We met at the coffeeshop and will be meeting again next week to discuss my possibly doing some product photography for his clients to go in brochures, web sites, etc., his company produces. Their web site is incredible, and the design style fits very well with what I like and produce. Okay, artistic hurdle jumped. :D

However, I am a noob. I will be going out to buy the Shay-recommended book on pricing so I can get my feet wet deciding how best to set up pricing for something like this. After my conversation Tuesday, I should have a better idea what I can put together price-wise for him. The bigger problem is...what should I ask come Tuesday?

He has specifically mentioned food photography to me. I felt I could handle this (sans elaborate food styling) because, well, food doesn't move (at least, I hope it doesn't...otherwise, I won't be eating at any of the restaurants he helps advertise). What are some things I should have in mind when I go to this meeting? As I've never worked with a client before (other than selling a single print) or photographed food, I was hoping the community here could give me some pointers or direction. :wink

I'll be doing some footwork this weekend for pricing and contracts--the latter of which intimidates me greatly--but I don't know the first thing to ask about a job like this. What things should I absolutely not leave the meeting without asking? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    wings.gifbarbwings.gif Way to go!! Very exciting and congratulations!! Doesn't it makes you tingle all over!! :ivar:ivar
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    wings.gifbarbwings.gif Way to go!! Very exciting and congratulations!! Doesn't it makes you tingle all over!! :ivar:ivar

Thank you! :D It does make me all tingly. I'm still a bit flabbergasted. Last time I went in, only two prints had sold. I was so shocked today to find eight of them had those bright, red stickers on them! wings.gif

'Course, now I'm all tingly from stress and fear about this upcoming meeting Tuesday. So cool. So terrifying. I have no idea what I'm doing! mwink.gif

Thankfully my local B&N had the book from Shay's post. It should make good reading on my bus trip up to NY tomorrow. But nothin' beats personal experience from the way more pro photographers around here. I'm really hopin' to put together a cheat sheet of important questions I shouldn't forget to ask the potential client. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Well, good luck Kerry. I visited your website, i wanted to point out one thing. When you click on "purchase prints" it takes you to "your cart is empty" page. Is it supposed to work that way? headscratch.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Well, good luck Kerry. I visited your website, i wanted to point out one thing. When you click on "purchase prints" it takes you to "your cart is empty" page. Is it supposed to work that way? headscratch.gif

Yes, but I have since learned of a whole 'nother page I should put together for it to point to. 11doh.gif Suppose I should fix that ASAP! Thank you for the reminder.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Kerry,

I'm coming to this late but I read your post while I was on the road and I was ecstatic for you. That's fantastic that you had such great success at your local coffeeshop (especially in Alexandria!) and I'm thrilled that you got such a great gig. I love food photography and am quite envious you'd get paid to shoot that! bowdown.gif I'm sure you'll do just fine, as I've seen your site and being in your field you have an eye for what's good and what ain't.

Since it's Wednesday I'm assuming that you've had your meeting already so I'll just end with: I hope it went well and that you'll update us with your progress when you get the chance.