Some more Friday Night Football

KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
edited September 15, 2007 in Sports
The high school season kicked off here in Georgia on Friday night. Except for a deluge which required an hour delay at the end of the 1st quarter, it was a great night. Here's a few shots from Milton versus Forsyth Central.

190631931-L.jpg

190418441-L.jpg

190635060-L.jpg

190431564-L.jpg

Kent
"Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
Web site

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    I looked at the photos on your web site to see EXIF data. I see you shot at ISO 3200 without a flash. I'm curious how underexposed (if they were) the original images were and what kind of noise reduction you applied.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • caughtnactioncaughtnaction Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Friday night pics
    The photos at the football game were great! What kind of camera and lense did you use to get these! I have just purchased a Canon 30d and I'm looking to get a lense for low light games but I have a small budget! Thanks, KS
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Good job. I especially like the shot of Lance's run, and I for some reason I'm chuckling at the (non-)expression on the ref's face in #3 as the tackle happens right in front of him.
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    donek wrote:
    I looked at the photos on your web site to see EXIF data. I see you shot at ISO 3200 without a flash. I'm curious how underexposed (if they were) the original images were and what kind of noise reduction you applied.
    They were not underexposed at all. As the game progresses and day light diminishes, I frequently check the histogram to make sure the exposure is okay. I slowly bump up the ISO setting and go down on shutter speed until I get to ISO 1600. At this stadium I'm able to get good exposures at ISO 1600 and 1/400 shutter speed. (I shoot in manual mode).

I'm not quite sure why I opted for ISO 3200 and 1/500 this time; just experimenting I suppose. I'll probably shoot the next game at 1600 and 1/400.

Anytime that I shoot at 1600 or higher, I run everything through Noiseware Standard at the "weak noise" setting.

Kent
    Web site
    edited September 4, 2007
    The photos at the football game were great! What kind of camera and lense did you use to get these! I have just purchased a Canon 30d and I'm looking to get a lense for low light games but I have a small budget! Thanks, KS
    I shoot with a Canon 30D with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and a Canon 20D with a Sigma 24-60 f/2.8.

Generally, if I've made a quick switch to the 20D/24-60, I'm running to get out of the way because the action is getting too close!

I believe all three of these shots were taken with the 30D/70-200.

Kent
    Web site
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Very nice! I like the first one a lot. I think we've discussed your preference for not cropping. Personally, I think #2 would look even better with a tighter crop that emphasized the runner.

I like your work. Any problems getting sideline access at a HS game?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited September 4, 2007
    btw, do you use any noise-reduction software or is that pretty much as the 30D delivers?

(thinking it's finally time to upgrade from my 10D mwink.gif)
    edited September 4, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Very nice! I like the first one a lot. I think we've discussed your preference for not cropping. Personally, I think #2 would look even better with a tighter crop that emphasized the runner.

I like your work. Any problems getting sideline access at a HS game?
    Thanks for the comments. You're right, now that I take another look at #2, it could have been cropped tighter. I'm slowly learning to shoot tight and then crop tighter, but old habits die hard!

Kent
    Web site
    edited September 4, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    btw, do you use any noise-reduction software or is that pretty much as the 30D delivers?

(thinking it's finally time to upgrade from my 10D mwink.gif)
    I use Noiseware at the weak noise setting for images taken at 1600 and higher. Too much noise reduction starts taking out details and makes faces look like they're painted on.

Kent
    Web site
  • CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Very nice! I like them all especially the last three, with the stiff arm run being my fave of them all.
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.
    edited September 14, 2007
    And now our guy Kent is published once again... football on page 28 of this week's paper has his byline. Congratulations, Kent.
    clap.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    And now our guy Kent is published once again... football on page 28 of this week's paper has his byline. Congratulations, Kent.
    clap.gif
    Which paper?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited September 15, 2007
    football in Alpharetta Revue & News, and Rugby in the Atlanta Journal & Constitution