Options

DVD Slideshow SW?

timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
edited December 15, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I've got a pile of pictures that have already been pre-processed using Lightroom, and I'd like to turn them into a DVD slideshow. I've tried Nero's DVD slideshow maker, and wasn't terribly impressed with the 100 images per "title" limitation, or it's work flow. I'm figuring at 6 seconds each, I should be able to get around 700 images into a single DVD - provided the SW can handle it.

Is there software that can do what I'm looking for?
  • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc

Comments

• Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Photodex ROCKS.
    timk519 wrote:
    I've got a pile of pictures that have already been pre-processed using Lightroom, and I'd like to turn them into a DVD slideshow. I've tried Nero's DVD slideshow maker, and wasn't terribly impressed with the 100 images per "title" limitation, or it's work flow. I'm figuring at 6 seconds each, I should be able to get around 700 images into a single DVD - provided the SW can handle it.

Is there software that can do what I'm looking for?

Photodex ROCKS!

I have been using photodex for a while. It's about one of the easiest to use programs I have ever used. I am using the proshow gold but am upgrading to producer. Try the demo www.photodex.com .

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    DVD Slide Shows
    Ditto.

Photodex ProShow Gold or Producer. I've been using Gold for about two years.
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Photodex Producer user..

9/10 thumb.gif

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Thanks for all the feed back everyone, it looks like the nominations are unanimous! I'll be downloading the product and checking it out ASAP.

Thanks again everyone! clap.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I also have a few on topic questions after using the Photodex Producer Trial version...

1. Their transition menu is overwhelming and full of way too many variations of cheesy effects I would never use. ALL I WANT is a simple zoom in or out, and I didn't find that option. Is it somewhere I'm not seeing?

2. I thought on their website they included a few royalty free music tracks, but I didn't see those, either. Are they included in the full (paid version?) Or, are you purchasing RF tracks on your own? Have you had any trouble importing them?

Thanks!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I also have a few on topic questions after using the Photodex Producer Trial version...

1. Their transition menu is overwhelming and full of way too many variations of cheesy effects I would never use. ALL I WANT is a simple zoom in or out, and I didn't find that option. Is it somewhere I'm not seeing?

2. I thought on their website they included a few royalty free music tracks, but I didn't see those, either. Are they included in the full (paid version?) Or, are you purchasing RF tracks on your own? Have you had any trouble importing them?

Thanks!

1. The camera moves are done on each slide. Double click on the slide and then click on motion effects.

2. I think the royalty free music comes with the media source package, not the producer.

3. Importing music is about as easy as it gets. Drag and drop.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    1. The camera moves are done on each slide. Double click on the slide and then click on motion effects.

Thanks Rusting! Awesome! will try that!
    2. I think the royalty free music comes with the media source package, not the producer.

3. Importing music is about as easy as it gets. Drag and drop.

Not from my iTunes music library. Photodex didn't recognize one file, and none of mine were purchased from iTunes' store; they were imported thru my own CDs.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Not from my iTunes music library. Photodex didn't recognize one file, and none of mine were purchased from iTunes' store; they were imported thru my own CDs.

Photodex imports from MP3, WMA or WAV..so if you imported into iTunes as AAC (default), then Photodex won't recognize it. Of course, simply pop in the CD and import from there, or convert to MP3 in iTunes.

Have you tried Microsoft PhotoStory 3? It isn't as capable as Photodex, but it is free, and offers music, panning, lots of nice transitions...not bad at all.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspx
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Have you tried Microsoft PhotoStory 3? It isn't as capable as Photodex, but it is free, and offers music, panning, lots of nice transitions...not bad at all.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspx

That is way cool!!!! Thanks so much for that link. I love the simplicity, and the transitions are just what I'm looking for. My only question then is how to get the .wmv file into a more universal web viewing format?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    That is way cool!!!! Thanks so much for that link. I love the simplicity, and the transitions are just what I'm looking for. My only question then is how to get the .wmv file into a more universal web viewing format?

well .wmv is fairly standard these days, though it is a MS specific format, just about everyone can play the file. Embedding Windows Media player in a web page is fairly simple too. The important thing is that you are embedding the player, this is not a Flash file, but a video file. Again, not perfect for everyone. I find it is very good for screen shows sent to relatives on CD, since it just plays on their PC.
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    16x9
    I'd like to be able to make a DVD to play on a 16x9 TV--with out the black borders on the sides. I've used MS photostory in the past--but that only has 4x3 capabilities. (I then took multiple photostory files and used a DVD creation package -- NERO I think-- to make a menu and create that actual DVD).

What I want to be able to do is make the picture series in 16x9 so I can play it like a "widescreen" movie DVD. I know that TV resolution is much lower than on a computer--but I'd like to be able to have something to show friends and family on my home TV--not just gathered around a computer/laptop monitor.

Can Photodex do this easily?

I know I've been pretty inarticulate in this post. Hopefully someone can understand what I'm trying to write...
    Regards

Will
    edited December 5, 2007
    ProShow Producer
    For those interested in either Gold or Producer versions of this software, you should check out this site. It is a forum of extremely helpful folks who will help with any problems or questions you may have about this software. There are music sections, free templates and tips and tricks when using this program. Photodex, who makes this software, actually reads this forum and have made corrections and updates to the software based on these folks' suggestions. I use the latest Producer version and have found absolutely nothing else around to compare. Closest I can find would be Adobe Flash ..... and most don't want to get that involved .....
    http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    NERO is s--t ,photodex is great and photo story is easy .Funny I use Nero to TRY and do a slide show for the boy scouts and after frustration and anger with Nero used photodex .Simple one shot and done .I only wanted to post a thread that pounded on Nero [ that error program] and here I found one started thumb.gif never buy Nero deal.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/