AF Nikkor 80-200mm - Teleconverters

SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited September 3, 2007 in Cameras
Thread aka "I already have enough gray hair and I'd like to keep it on my head, thank you."

Today was the day to get a teleconverter for my new Nikon lens. With another trip to the U.P. pending the excitement in the air here at The Peaceable Kingdom was palpable.

The store I wanted to buy it from didn't have it in stock so we went across town to another location that did. But I had forgotten and both stores forgot that the TC20E-II isn't compatible with the good old vanilla AF Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D ED . In a race against store closing time it was back across town to return it and get one that was compatible. End result? A good price on a used TC-14B. Which does not do autofocus with my new lens. (Not to mention losing the viewfinder exposure meter.)

According to Nikon's knowledgebase, "The 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF supports the TC-201 and the TC-14A (occasional vignetting) & TC-14B (AF not possible)." If I can find a TC-14A, will the bugger work with autofocus and will I have my metering back inside the viewfinder?

Are there other t.c. options that won't cause a greater-than-necessary amount of degradation to the end result? I'm seriously researching a pro camera body so can't afford to get a bigger zoom lens...yet.

Frustrated thanks,
PJ.
Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)

Comments

• SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007

Thread aka "I already have enough gray hair and I'd like to keep it on my head, thank you."

I'll answer my Self here with the response I received directly from Nikon:
    Sorry, but no, the "D" version of the 80-200 cannot be used with a teleconverter.

The newer AF-S version or the 80-200 (which has since been replaced by the 70-200 AF-S) could use a TC, but not the non AF-S version. Sorry.

Time to regroup and replan my upgrade.

PJ.

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    The 80-200 is a marvelous lens, i would keep it. If you need longer reach for your trip why not rent a lens?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited September 3, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    The 80-200 is a marvelous lens, i would keep it. If you need longer reach for your trip why not rent a lens?

To be honest, Harry, I love the 80-22mm. At least most of the time. I'm having focusing issues and not entirely sure if it's because it's on a D70 or if it's one of the apparently more-frequent-than-usual "lemons" of this particular model? I was testing it out indoors last night and it wasn't passing muster at any aperature (on a tripod using the shutter timer), though it's snatched some glorious outdoor shots.

So...I said to hex with all of it and just bought a new D2Xs for a really good price. Will hopefully have it by next weekend and that will tell me exactly where my problem lies.

Where does one rent lenses and is it an expensive proposition? I'd love to try to fly with at least a 400mm while again at Seney. The juvie osprey should be quite a hoot by the time we get back there.

PJ.

edited September 3, 2007
    To be honest, Harry, I love the 80-22mm. At least most of the time. I'm having focusing issues and not entirely sure if it's because it's on a D70 or if it's one of the apparently more-frequent-than-usual "lemons" of this particular model? I was testing it out indoors last night and it wasn't passing muster at any aperature (on a tripod using the shutter timer), though it's snatched some glorious outdoor shots.

So...I said to hex with all of it and just bought a new D2Xs for a really good price. Will hopefully have it by next weekend and that will tell me exactly where my problem lies.

Where does one rent lenses and is it an expensive proposition? I'd love to try to fly with at least a 400mm while again at Seney. The juvie osprey should be quite a hoot by the time we get back there.

PJ.

Check this article.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited September 3, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Check this article.

Perfect! I'd managed to ferret out a couple of them before seeing your post.

Would you recommend going for the most powerful lens, even if it's a zoom? Seems only one is carrying any prime (300mm) and it's not in stock.

Also, have you used any of them?

Thanks bunches,
    PJ.

edited September 3, 2007
    I would check out the 80-400, it gives you good reach. its light, its handholdable, and its IQ is very good especially if you step it down a bit.
    Harry