First time shooting with my new DSLR

2»

Comments

• Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nice to be able to just fire away with no shutter lag, eh? naughty.gif

as soon as I can figure it out I believe I can shoot 2.5 times per second!

yeah it was long overdue, along with a lot of other things. just being back at a MX track is so cool. the bikes are so solid and they just land from those jumps like a walk in the park. seeing the experts just launch into the whoops and not really care where they hit the bumps knowing the suspension and their confidence in their ability and skill is humbling.

I need to start reading these directions for the D40.

and buy a EXC 200. :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 4, 2007
    awesome lighting here - dust and light really blend into a cool effect thumb.gif

190873674-Th.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    amadeus wrote:
    thanks. I needed to get over the hump and get the DSLR. I'm sure the Canon is great also but my son has some Nikon's and a little lens sharing is always a nice option. One thing that really caught my ear about the D40 was battery life and I shot over 250 shots Sunday on the same battery. I never checked the level but it had more than enough juice for a long day.

Congrats!

About lens sharing: One thing about the D40 is that it doesn't have a mechanical auto-focus drive, which means many of Nikon's AF lenses won't auto-focus on it. Only Nikon's newer AF-S lenses will auto-focus. You can still use the older lenses, but you'll have to focus manually.
    Tim
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    a few more to post just because I can. being very interested in returning to the ranks of motocross participant as opposed to spectator I paid particular attention to the Vintage class, which at the local level means air cooled bikesm as opposed to water cooled bikes which came onto the scene in the early 1980's. the class also requires drum brakes as opposed to disc, and twin rear shocks instead of single shock. all of these features ushered out the standard motorcycle and marked the arrival of the modern motorcycle. Vintage bikes can still go quite fast in the right hands. So as it turns out after the first race I found out the #509 was an acuaintance of mine, but its hard to recognize people in a full face helmet and goggles.

A Vintage 1980 RM 400 Suzuki. rider is 46 years old.

190862987-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    so later in the day during the second heat I tried to get as many pics of #509 as I could. Its always more fun shooting someone you know.

I had also developed a better strategic plan for covering as much of the track per lap as possible. Got this corner several times with good results.

190875432-L.jpg

and then was able to just walk 50 feet over to where a half a lap later he was coming thru the whoops.

also shooting into the shade and then with the sun on the same lap.

190875838-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    from the same vantage point of the whoops shooting at a distance and catching 2 of the more notable jumps on the track.

same lap.

190876522-L.jpg

190876110-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    taking the high line to enter the whoops.

190877708-L.jpg

a few seconds later.

or it might have been the next lap. entering the whoops.

190877799-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    #509's son was also riding in the 250 Expert class. I'm assuming they let you chose your own #'s as he was also #509.

Got him getting some good air.

190879841-L.jpg

this one might have been better but it was blocked by someone in the whoops. at least it helps the viewer to see the distance I as taking the jump shosts from.

190881174-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    a few of the junge 509 in the whoops on the red Honda.

now that I think of it he was riding the red Honda in the 125 class. The 250 4 strokes can run in the 125 class.

190880526-L.jpg

190880185-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    then he rode the yellow Suzuki 250 2 stroke in the...250 class.

Again, Expert class.

this one I'll fault the camera for focusing on the grass in front, but that may have been where I fixated it on.

190870536-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    now that I see this one its a pretty good one. him and 371 spent a lot of time together.

190868324-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    190869094-L.jpg

190868181-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    25 years ago this would have been an incredible sight.

nowadays it is pretty basic tactics.

these guys have absolutely no fear in the air.

190870203-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    as with #371 he seemed to spend some time with #78.

all in all very happy with the decision to buy the D40. the more I look at these pics the more I like them. memory is ridiculously cheap with 2 gig @ $35 and battery life was as stated more than acceptable.

thanks for viewing.

190870606-L.jpg