Options

1st Post! Hi all. 6 pics attached.

FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited March 8, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Below are just a few pics I snapped last night. Last year I enrolled in film school and it turned me on to still photography. Films still my life, but Im loving still right now. 6 pics below, I hope Im not overloading thread. Guys let me know if its too much, and I will resist the urge in future posts. I love BnW, and Im currently handheld only, so dont crush my ego still I get some money in my pocket . :D Lemme know what you guys think, this will be the first time in my life, EVER, to be critiqued on still photos, so have your way with me!:lol3

dsc01708_1.jpg

dsc01749_1.jpg
Above - My personal fav for these six.

dsc01786_1.jpg

dsc01621.jpg

dsc01649.jpg
Above - And I guess this would be second in line. Wish it wasnt so soft. I just missed that magic hour!

2223.jpg

Let me have it :D
No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    Welcome freeups.

I really like this one.

dsc01621.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Welcome freeups.

I really like this one.

dsc01621.jpg
    My favorite of the bunch by a longshot.

Nice, dood!
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    I like the bum sleeping on the subway, except that it's a rad underexposed.

I think the kid shot looks overexposed, but that could be just me. The kid's cool, and so too is the framing by the hand rails.

The first two need work, IMHO. Not sure what the point is of either of them. Traffic trails, cool - but there needs to be more. Maybe I'm missing some finer point of composition. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Below are just a few pics I snapped last night. Last year I enrolled in film school and it turned me on to still photography. Films still my life, but Im loving still right now. 6 pics below, I hope Im not overloading thread. Guys let me know if its too much, and I will resist the urge in future posts. I love BnW, and Im currently handheld only, so dont crush my ego still I get some money in my pocket . :D Lemme know what you guys think, this will be the first time in my life, EVER, to be critiqued on still photos, so have your way with me!lol3.gif

nice shots, freeups. i like the subway shot, too. really cool.

aw
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    I like the street shot.

The kid is cool too, the framing of the handrail makes it.

The first 2 are suprisingly sharp for hand held but I think they would be nicer if you used a tripod and slowed the shutter down so the moving lights made streaks.

Nice stuff, and welcome.
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    Welcome Freeups,

I liked the napping fellow.

I took the liberty of tweaking it.

2730338-L.jpg
    Hutch
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2004
    Aiiee.. I forgot my manners. Freeup, welcome to the site! clap.gif Post many more... never a problem posting photos here, that's why it's here. Don't be bashful, and do what you did - put 'em all in one thread.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    Thnx all!

Any suggestions for a cheap, but reliable, tripod for me to get my hands on? Any preference for purchasing equipment online? Im using a digital right now, so Im also in search for a 35 cam. For the camera, I need much help. What kind of camera do you guys suggest? Basically, what is a good starting kit for a very amateur photographer? I have decent access to filmmaking equipment, but I dont know how much of that could be used for still. Like I said, very fresh in the game. rolleyes1.gif Gonna hunt around the forum a lil bit, see if I can find my answers there. If theres some good threads on this topic, link em up if ya dont mind. Thanks again all!

The assignments Fish.... CANT WAIT MAN! Awesome idea.

Mac :D
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Any suggestions for a cheap, but reliable, tripod for me to get my hands on? Any preference for purchasing equipment online?
    Freeups, I like shopping at bhphoto.com and adorama.com. Both are real shops with very good and honest service. You can get cheaper prices elsewhere, but I've had great experiences with those two.

For a tripod, you don't want to get anything too small or too cheap, because then you'll end up with two tripods. Remember, a tripod is to help steady a camera. If it sways in the breeze, it's not doing its job. So, with that said, I like the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods, and you can get solid combos (legs/head) for under $150. Such as this one:

BG3005N.jpg

Good luck, and welcome to da grin.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2004
    You want a changeable lens camera? Overall, I would think that digital's cheaper in the long run... but a much steeper up front investment. The payoff is that you can shoot to your heart's content with no incremental cost. In film, every shot costs something. I'd think digital is the way to go for starting out.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Freeups, I like shopping at bhphoto.com and adorama.com. Both are real shops with very good and honest service. You can get cheaper prices elsewhere, but I've had great experiences with those two.

For a tripod, you don't want to get anything too small or too cheap, because then you'll end up with two tripods. Remember, a tripod is to help steady a camera. If it sways in the breeze, it's not doing its job. So, with that said, I like the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods, and you can get solid combos (legs/head) for under $150. Such as this one:

BG3005N.jpg

Good luck, and welcome to da grin.

Nice rig, tho I'd prefer a ballhead. A whole lot easier to use, especially when you're in a hurry to catch the light.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    Some really nice shots there Freeup!!! Welcome to Dgrin and post lots of pics.!!

Cheers,
    Tim
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice rig, tho I'd prefer a ballhead. A whole lot easier to use, especially when you're in a hurry to catch the light.
    Ballheads are definitely convenient. I have both heads, and you can switch them out in about two minutes. p/t heads (especially with built-in bubble levels) are nice for landscapes and portraits.

Oooo...I just noticed a bogen ballhead with two bubble levels and separate fast action ratchet lever for the 360° pan: $95. Hmmm.

BG488RC4.jpg

For some reason, the vast majority of leg/head combos include p/t heads. But you can get a good set of legs for ~$100 then add a good ballhead for $75-100.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Below are just a few pics I snapped last night. Last year I enrolled in film school and it turned me on to still photography. Films still my life, but Im loving still right now. 6 pics below, I hope Im not overloading thread. Guys let me know if its too much, and I will resist the urge in future posts. I love BnW, and Im currently handheld only, so dont crush my ego still I get some money in my pocket . :D Lemme know what you guys think, this will be the first time in my life, EVER, to be critiqued on still photos, so have your way with me!lol3.gif

dsc01708_1.jpg

dsc01749_1.jpg
    Above - My personal fav for these six.

dsc01786_1.jpg

dsc01621.jpg

dsc01649.jpg
    Above - And I guess this would be second in line. Wish it wasnt so soft. I just missed that magic hour!

2223.jpg

Let me have it :D
    Welcome freeups! so glad to have to join our well behaved group (not). Great shots of the subway. I liked the sleeping girl... and the passed out guy. Show us some more stuff, there are some really good photographers on this site that will help you.
    Lynn:D
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2004
    Freeups, another note with regard to buying a tripod and head: make sure that whatever you buy can support the camera/lenses you plan to buy. In fact, I'd suggest buying the camera etc. first.

The weight that tripods and heads can handle, varies greatly. Some tripods/heads are designed for small, light cameras. Others are designed to carry heaving SLR cameras and lenses. What you don't want is a light tripod that can't support your expensive new SLR. At best you get blurry shots from a shaky tripod, at worst it all comes crashing down.
    Sid.