Few portraits

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited September 4, 2007 in People
I took these today as a favor for my BIL business. What do you think?

191190946-S.jpg

191191369-S.jpg

191198997-S.jpg

They didn't want to listen and wanted me to shoot into the Gulf waters, bright sun and all... I hate this one. :rolleyes

191190503-M-1.jpg
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Anyone? I guess these are aweful and people are just nice not to say anything bad ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I've never been accused of adhering to the "Say something nice or be quite" rule, so here's what I see:

The background for the portraits is quite nice. You need to get the exposure on it the same in all of the shots.

1 - Face appears underexpposed and there's something wrong with skin tone. It looks like there too much magenta? Usually, the "shoulders to the camera" pose is not as flattering as if you had opened it up just a bit (turned her just a bit more towards the camera). Doing so would have decreased the strength of the wrinkles in her neck.

2 - Same here, except the post is better the previous

3 - The exposure is much better here. If you had dabbed some of the skin oils from his forehead, the hot-spot there would have been greatly reduced.

4 - this is some really tough lighting. Had you been able to turned them just a bit more away from the sun and then filled with some flash, this would have come off better. Most of the people here are underexposed. The guy in back, second from left has his face covered by the palm frond. If you are attempting to make a friendly group shot, having the folks in the back row cross their arms as you did is usually not the way to proceed. This can present a very emotionally closed posture. The guy on the right has done a really good job of counter this with his huge friendly and real smile.

I think you have a good start here and a solid foundation from which to continue. I think I would also would recommend you analyze these a bit and then schedule a re-shoot. You will be much happier with the results from the second shoot and so will your clients.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I've never been accused of adhering to the "Say something nice or be quite" rule, so here's what I see:

The background for the portraits is quite nice. You need to get the exposure on it the same in all of the shots.

1 - Face appears underexpposed and there's something wrong with skin tone. It looks like there too much magenta? Usually, the "shoulders to the camera" pose is not as flattering as if you had opened it up just a bit (turned her just a bit more towards the camera). Doing so would have decreased the strength of the wrinkles in her neck.

2 - Same here, except the post is better the previous

3 - The exposure is much better here. If you had dabbed some of the skin oils from his forehead, the hot-spot there would have been greatly reduced.

4 - this is some really tough lighting. Had you been able to turned them just a bit more away from the sun and then filled with some flash, this would have come off better. Most of the people here are underexposed. The guy in back, second from left has his face covered by the palm frond. If you are attempting to make a friendly group shot, having the folks in the back row cross their arms as you did is usually not the way to proceed. This can present a very emotionally closed posture. The guy on the right has done a really good job of counter this with his huge friendly and real smile.

I think you have a good start here and a solid foundation from which to continue. I think I would also would recommend you analyze these a bit and then schedule a re-shoot. You will be much happier with the results from the second shoot and so will your clients.

Thank you Scott for much needed analysis Laughing.gif
    I shot tons of frames with these guys, they are a tough bunch, they wont smile, they wont cooperate. Is this a man thing? :D
    The headshots actually weren't planned at all. She broght me inside of this huge condo hall area and i had no choice, i didn't bring flash with me or was even prepared for this. Good thing they had nice light walls. rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks again Scott!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300