Creating those cool collages

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited September 8, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've noticed more of us are using some sort of collage presentation to show our favorites. They're getting fancier and fancier and I almost like reading the thread to see those variations as much as I like seeing the top picks!

So, how do you do it?

Jesse

Comments

• indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    I use Google's free picture editing software, Picasa, for all of my photo editing. (But one time I used PS Elements to take away blemishes so I'm moving up in the PP world.)

There is a function where you can select the images you want to use in a collage. I tend to crop and adjust the pics especially for the collage so they look just right as a square.

Easy peasy.

Jesse
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I'm a PS guy. "CS3, baby, yeah!" mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Like Nikolai, I'm a PS guy as well (CS2 still though).

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm a PS guy. "CS3, baby, yeah!" mwink.gif
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Collage Construction Details
    Jesse,

In CS3, you open each image in its own window at 72 dpi and say 2 inches wide or high. Then you decide their order and the relative size of a page which will contain the Top 10.

With that 11th image open @ 72 dpi, you then click on #1 with the move tool and place it in the upper left hand corner of #11. Follow this with the remaining 9 images.

Take #11 and perform a levels, moving the black and white sliders about 20 points inward to right and left, respectively. This pops the images in #11.

Upload - either as an attachment if the small kb limit not exceeded, or as an image in a private gallery you devise. Place it, with the proper HTML hooks [See Smugmug tutorials], in your page with appropriate remarks...

Its been a while since I used Elements, so I'm rusty on its commands...

If you have access to NAPPtv.com, you can download a movie weekly which contains Photoshop user tips in the form of very informative tutorials. Cuidate: these files are 100-200 Mb long! They show best on a moderately fast PC.

Matt Kloskowski has a more advanced tutorial on blending collages using a Sax, Guitar, and piece of Sheet music with masks and brushes in the 97th episode labeled putv090307...
    191536711-M.jpg

Attaboy Girl ... its a pleasure to see how your intuition and leadership works!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I use PS. I copy the images to their own directory, use a PS script to resize all of them automatically, open them all and copy/paste them into a new image sized for posting. Merge them into a single layer, add drop shadow, and put a gradient on the background. Save as jpeg and download to SmugMug with SE.

Sounds like a pain in the rear, but really only takes a few minutes.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I like it easyyyyyyyyyyyy.....I have a GREAT collage maker..
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I like it easyyyyyyyyyyyy.....I have a GREAT collage maker..

What's HIS name????? rolleyes1.gif
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    :lol4 :lol4
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    edited September 4, 2007
    I just figured out a method using CS3 by going to the entry thread, right clicking, select COPY, switch to CS3, create a new layer and PASTE. Each photo has it's own layer, and I resize the photo by selecting it and Transforming.

I'm sure there are much more handy ways to do it... like Donna's Great Collage Maker...mwink.gif

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    I just figured out a method using CS3 by going to the entry thread, right clicking, select COPY, switch to CS3, create a new layer and PASTE. Each photo has it's own layer, and I resize the photo by selecting it and Transforming.

I'm sure there are much more handy ways to do it... like Donna's Great Collage Maker...mwink.gif

It's even easier than that. Simply create an original document at 300 dpi and size say 15"x15" (or 16"x20"). Then, when you copy paste 72dpi web images they will automatically become thumbs. Once you done, save it for web and resize. deal.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 4, 2007
    Travis wrote:

I never Kiss and Tell...I'm a Lady!! :ivar
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited September 4, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's even easier than that. Simply create an original document at 300 dpi and size say 15"x15" (or 16"x20"). Then, when you copy paste 72dpi web images they will automatically become thumbs. Once you done, save it for web and resize. deal.gif

HTH

Yea!!!! That sounds LOADS easier! See that, Stirfry? An easier solution!

• indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Ain't life grand!
  • HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    I've noticed more of us are using some sort of collage presentation to show our favorites. They're getting fancier and fancier and I almost like reading the thread to see those variations as much as I like seeing the top picks!

So, how do you do it?

Jesse

One of the best programs I've found for collages is "FotoFusion." Import your photos, and with a couple of clicks you can set edges, shadows, whatever. Great for Class groups, etc.also.

1332681240_0829bb47eb_o.jpg
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
    edited September 5, 2007
    Hinson wrote:
    One of the best programs I've found for collages is "FotoFusion." Import your photos, and with a couple of clicks you can set edges, shadows, whatever. Great for Class groups, etc.also.

I love this Program, one of the few that I use.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Add me to the fotofusion list... it's quick and easy for collages.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Hinson wrote:

1332681240_0829bb47eb_o.jpg

Which version are you using?
    edited September 6, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Which version are you using?

I'm still using the older 3.7. It seems to do everything I need but the new 4. version does offer some nice templates that I'd like to have. Of course you can create your own templates in 3.7 so it's just a bit more work.

Hinson
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Well, I've had my Imac for just over a year, and this thread forced me to try something.
    It's called Comic Life. It came with the Mac and is used for making comic strips.
    Well, it works really well for Collages also.
    Drag and drop, grab a corner to resize, there are lots of other things, I think for frames, but I haven't tried them yet.

Just 8 random shots from my computer.
    After I got the jist of it, it took a couple of minutes to make this.

192565283-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited September 6, 2007
    Sorry, what I meant was there are 3 different versions. A basic, enhanced and professional. (The pro is $299).
    edited September 6, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Sorry, what I meant was there are 3 different versions. A basic, enhanced and professional. (The pro is $299).

Sorry, I misunderstood. I have the 3.7 Pro verson.
    edited September 6, 2007
    Thanks! I'm playing around with some of the different suggestions and doing my own 'experimentations' in CS. I threw a folder full of different shots into photomerge......of course it couldn't merge them rolleyes1.gif , but then it allows you quite easily to drag and drop and arrange them on the page manually. I've been using the same method as Felicia. Not the best and it takes me forever! eek7.gif
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Another really simple method in PS is to create a contact sheet. Just select the directory that has the photos, set the size you want your final page to be, number of columns and rows, and you're done. Importing photos, of any size, resizing them to fit, and arranging them on the contact sheet is all done quickly and automatically. If you un-check the flatten layers option they'll be on separate layers so you can add drop shadows, gradient backgrounds, or whatever.
  • NathalieRoseNathalieRose Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Well, I've had my Imac for just over a year, and this thread forced me to try something.
    It's called Comic Life. It came with the Mac and is used for making comic strips.
    Well, it works really well for Collages also.
    Drag and drop, grab a corner to resize, there are lots of other things, I think for frames, but I haven't tried them yet.

Just 8 random shots from my computer.
    After I got the jist of it, it took a couple of minutes to make this.

192565283-L.jpg

Davey,

I was playing with Comic Book today, but how do you save it as a jpeg? I can save it but can't seem to figuer out what it's saved as.

Thanks!
    N.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Davey,

I was playing with Comic Book today, but how do you save it as a jpeg? I can save it but can't seem to figuer out what it's saved as.

Thanks!
    N.

File>export>export to image, then chose jpeg.

193149029-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.