Fortress Sydney

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited September 7, 2007 in People

Hello. It has been a while since I've posted here. And even now I wondered if this is the right forum but in the end this is a "human story".

This is how the Sydney’s exclusion zone for APEC looks like. 2.8m high fence spanning 5km marks the border between the Sydney and World leaders. Erected for security reasons it inconveniences thousands and is a real eyesore. I doubt any one in Sydney would like to present this beautiful city to the world leaders in such light. I understand the security concerns. However, I think the government went over board on this occasion.
I have to add this photo was taken with permission from police, as not all photographs are welcome by the security forces.

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    I meant to comment on this when I first saw it but time got away from me as too often happens these days. I wanted to tell you how much I like your street photography and how interesting it is to see the real life impact of the news that we are hearing and reading about from afar. I suppose that the need for security has always meant inconvenience for ordinary folk and defacing of the environment, but in these times it seems to be worse than ever. Boston experienced it during the 2004 Democratic Convention. On the other hand, I like the pattern of the barriers and find myself wondering where the man with a briefcase is going, striding so purposefullly, so it gave you a good subject for your photograph. Thank you for sharing.

Virginia

Email
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Thank you Virginia.

The security here for APEC meeting is a major overkill. Australia is a peaciful country. The protestors tomorrow may make me eat my words but there will be only a handful of them and police could deal with them without spending countless millions on the security arrangements.