Options

To the summit of Clingman's and beyond

LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited September 7, 2007 in Landscapes
From the parking lot observation level to the top of Clingman's Dome is a .5 mile walk up a steady incline. Anyone not in top shape will likely require rest at one or more designated assent rest benches, or at least stopping to level your heart rate some. It's a workout for those of us not in great shape. :huh The trail area below is fairly flat looking, a bit deceptive.

191365506-L.jpg

Once to the crest, , the trail turns to concrete:

191365756-L.jpg

Come on, you can do it, your almost there!!!

191365667-L.jpg

Finally, at the top, a cool observation deck awaits your arrival, with a bench for resting in the shade if you desire. The wind came at a nice clip! I had to sinch up my chin strap on my Columbia hat. Yeah, those people that thought I looked stupid before, I didn't look so stupid then! Well, maybe...

191365422-L.jpg

It was a very very hazy day, but views like this were around every part of the deck: My 28mm 1.4d loves to introduce magenta to the sky at Clingman's... But finally, at over 6,000 feet elevation, here's a partial view. I will take my 10.5mm fisheye up there one day when it's really clear, that would be a blast.

191365373-L.jpg

Off at a distance of around 75 miles or so, is the one peak that I think is higher than Clingman's in this area, it's in North Carolina.

I hope you enjoyed the trip...

Comments

• Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    What on earth is going on with those colors?
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    Creative photography. Making the best of what is before you. If you've ever dealt with afternoon sun/haze in the Smokies, at 6000 feet, maybe you'd know.

I used a Singh Ray blue and gold polarizer which allows me to dial in blues, or dial in golds, as I wish, I vary it for best results. Also, photoshop had some PP. If you don't like it, well, I've no problem with that either. It is what it is- I dialed in the best photos I could with these tools on this day. The 28mm with precision ground asperical element does have a unique signature, probably not everyone likes it, and that's ok too... Once I got going, I just didn't want to change lenses to my 17-35.

and Hack, respectfully, I didn't take the time to put this together to just have someone take a shot at me right off. It's my opinion, your comment wasn't very thoughtful or specific I might add. You prefer black and white maybe? rolleyes1.gif Otherwise, if you want to discuss each shot specifically, and address whatever color issues you speak of, go ahead, take a shot, but generic one liners are cheerfully ignored in the future.
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 4, 2007
    What pyrtek probably meant is that these photos have a really strong magenta cast. Is your monitor calibrated? I am all for creativeness, but this really doesn't look too good.

The cast aside, I really like the last picture: the trees look so out of this world. I'm also intrigued by this elevated path; do you by any chance know why it's there? Can't the ridge/top be reached by a regular trail on the ground? Very interesting!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    annnna8888 wrote:
    What pyrtek probably meant is that these photos have a really strong magenta cast. Is your monitor calibrated? I am all for creativeness, but this really doesn't look too good.

The cast aside, I really like the last picture: the trees look so out of this world. I'm also intrigued by this elevated path; do you by any chance know why it's there? Can't the ridge/top be reached by a regular trail on the ground? Very interesting!

Ana

The path is there for the convenience of tourists Ana, to be able to make this trek, and to avoid the heavy trail beating it would take without pavement with the strong elevation. It would also heavily wash at this descent.

I saw a lady probably 80, making the trip. She would not probably be able to over rocks. As the highest peak in the Smokies, it is very visited, by all ages. This makes paving the trail with a rest room area on the way make more sense. It's setup for tourists, not for just hikers.

There are only 2 paved trails in the Smokies I am aware of, and this is one, the rest are nature trails, and they do get pretty beat up, I'll say, as this is the most visited national park in the USA.

The Magenta mostly is a trait of the 28mm 1.4d lens. Maybe the Singh Ray Blue and Gold had some impact as well, I can't say for sure without going back and re-trying the shoot. I'll pay a bit more attention to that, but perhaps someone, can enjoy the trail trip without being critical of color anyway. I truly never asked for critical review of these shots. It's more of a nature trip documentary. I don't plan to sell them, it was more about this is what I did yesterday, and describing the trip for others that may wish to do it too.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    Ok, replacement photos: Hopefully, you color purists will like these better. Still a touch of magenta in 1, but will have to do today. clap.gif

191720597-L.jpg

191720522-L.jpg

191720562-L.jpg

191720500-L.jpg
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Color purists? Why the need to be so pejorative? This isn't "Creative
    photography. Making the best of what is before you." It's giving what is
    before you a strong magenta cast. If you think that is creative and artistic,
    enjoy. And no, your new versions aren't much better. You really seem to
    have a problem with your monitor and we're just trying to help you see that.
    For reference, here's your first picture with the cast removed:

BEFORE:

191720597-L.jpg

AFTER:

p533815773.jpg

Doesn't that look better?

I wasn't taking a shot at you. I asked what was going on with the colors,
    because I had no idea if the cast was intended or not. I don't see why you
    need to be so defensive.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 5, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    Doesn't that look better?
    Definitely. thumb.gif
  • Options
    goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    annnna8888 wrote:

Ana

Ana, the elevated path is only at the end of the paved path. It gets you to the top of the tower which gives you the 360 degree veiw. Without the observation tower at the top of the mountain, all you see is the trees around you.

The trees in this area are very interesting for sure. They used to be beautiful Hemlocks and Frasier Firs, but now, due to an infestation of the woolly adelgid, they are nothing but empty carcasses.
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    What on earth is going on with those colors?

I would have said the same thing.

It looks better without the magenta cast. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    goofry wrote:

The trees in this area are very interesting for sure. They used to be beautiful Hemlocks and Frasier Firs, but now, due to an infestation of the woolly adelgid, they are nothing but empty carcasses.

I am a big fan of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm on it almost on a weekly basis. It is astonishing the tree death I have seen in just the last 5 years. If you want to see the great hemlocks and fraziers, better move quick. Some eco-system workers I know say they may be gone in as little as 5 years.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours