Just flies

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited September 22, 2007 in Holy Macro
Some recent fly shots from the garden.

Brian V.

Signal fly Sepsis fulgens (not signalling)

1308722277_c55ea87af3_o.jpg

1308722291_e724a37e2c_o.jpg

Dolichopid fly

1308722309_1c51438d0c_o.jpg

Dance flies mating (Empididae probably Empis sp.)

1313235595_460a89b49e_o.jpg

Dance flies having a disagreement - the female (on her back) has killed and is eating the male

1313235611_02bf75c1df_o.jpg

Dung fly bubble blowing

1318407477_59aa029045_o.jpg

Soldier fly not doing anything

1318306851_5319ca2380_o.jpg

Comments

• zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I wish I had something constructive to say, but all I have is "Wow!"

The Dolichopid fly shot is far and away my favorite. Looks like he's geared up to take on the world. The colors in the eyes and the carapace (don't know if that's the correct term for it or not, the top of the back with the hairs coming out, guess the whole exo would be the carapace) amaze me.
    Travis
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Some recent fly shots from the garden.

Brian V.

Signal fly Sepsis fulgens (not signalling)
    Dolichopid fly
    Dance flies mating (Empididae probably Empis sp.)
    Dance flies having a disagreement - the female (on her back) has killed and is eating the male
    Dung fly bubble blowing
    Soldier fly not doing anything

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Lordy Lordy :jawdrop and WOW!!!
    Gawwddd Brian you seem to have this never ending supply of bugs rolleyes1.gif

You offering them free food and lodging or what rolleyes1.gif
    I love Images #2 & #3 the whole series is stunning. clap.gif
    The detail you capture is truly amazing Brian, I'm guessing you did you stacking technique right :D

Excellent series yet again from you ........... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Wow, Indeed!
    Great series, Brian!clap.gif I'd say the Dolichopid fly is my fav - say, what is that thing under the last two segments of its rear abdomen?

I'm guessing from the DOF that you might have done 2 or 3 slices on this one - could you share the particulars? I also assume this was done with your custom flash setup. I would think that thing would scare them off after one shot . . .

Too bad about the male dance fly . . . is this typical post-nuptial dance behavior, or was this just a gal in a bad mood who mugged an innocent bystander?:D

The other thing I wonder about is how the heck you sneak up on these (usually sensitive) little critters without scaring 'em off - I mean, the end of your macro lens must be about an inch from their eyeballs! And with that flash contraption hanging off the top of your camera . . . headscratch.gif

Thanks!
    Dane

Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Excellent!

There's a lot to be said for large macros. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 4, 2007
    Very nice, Brian.

I especially like the use of color in the background in #2 and #3.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I never thought flies could be so beautiful before LV came along. :D

The hairs on these look so much more like spikes than hair. I am beginning to view them as teeny airborne soldiers of the animal kingdom.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I wish I had something constructive to say, but all I have is "Wow!"

The Dolichopid fly shot is far and away my favorite. Looks like he's geared up to take on the world. The colors in the eyes and the carapace (don't know if that's the correct term for it or not, the top of the back with the hairs coming out, guess the whole exo would be the carapace) amaze me.

Thanks Travis :)
    Dolichopid flies have amazing metallic finish on their bodies and eyes so the colouring depends a bit on the type of light and the angle of the shot.

Brian V.
    edited September 5, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Lordy Lordy :jawdrop and WOW!!!
    Gawwddd Brian you seem to have this never ending supply of bugs rolleyes1.gif

You offering them free food and lodging or what rolleyes1.gif
    I love Images #2 & #3 the whole series is stunning. clap.gif
    The detail you capture is truly amazing Brian, I'm guessing you did you stacking technique right :D

Excellent series yet again from you ........... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy :)
    Yes #2,3,5,6 &7 have some hand stacking in them from 2 or 3 shots.
    Well I certainly don't charge them for B&B :)
    Interesting I've suddenly had an outbreak of soldier and dance flies- suspect the dance flies eat the soldier flies.

Brian v.
    edited September 5, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Great series, Brian!clap.gif I'd say the Dolichopid fly is my fav - say, what is that thing under the last two segments of its rear abdomen?

I'm guessing from the DOF that you might have done 2 or 3 slices on this one - could you share the particulars? I also assume this was done with your custom flash setup. I would think that thing would scare them off after one shot . . .

Too bad about the male dance fly . . . is this typical post-nuptial dance behavior, or was this just a gal in a bad mood who mugged an innocent bystander?:D

The other thing I wonder about is how the heck you sneak up on these (usually sensitive) little critters without scaring 'em off - I mean, the end of your macro lens must be about an inch from their eyeballs! And with that flash contraption hanging off the top of your camera . . . headscratch.gif

Thanks!
    Dane

Hi Dane,
    Not sure of the technical term but the dolichopid is a male and think that's it's clasper/genitals.
    Yes you are right, all except #1 & #4 have some hand stacking on them from 2 or 3 shots- often just the eye detail.
    Normal thing when sneaking up on them- keep out of the light and move in slowly. Obviously you only see pics where this has worked :). The flash diffuser does not seem to bother them aapart from them liking to fly off and sit on it (very annoying) but the dolichopid flies are very sensitive to the flash itself- they often fly off when the pre-flash fires so you get a pic of the bottom of their feet.

brian V.
    edited September 5, 2007
    Thanks for looking and commenting Sid, Pathfinder and schmoo :)
    Fairly obviously I find flies quite fascinating and in some cases quite beautiful (in other cases delightfully ugly).
    brian v.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Fantastic stunning series Brian mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    awesome as always, #2 and #3 are amazing. When you take the pics for the stacking are you adjusting the focus on the lens or moving closer to the subject?
    edited September 6, 2007
    Fantastic stunning series Brian mwink.gif
    Thanks Awais :)
    Brian V.
    edited September 6, 2007
    f00sion wrote:
    awesome as always, #2 and #3 are amazing. When you take the pics for the stacking are you adjusting the focus on the lens or moving closer to the subject?
    Thanks Scott :)

When taking a series of pics for a stack I move the camera in in-between shots. I just find this the easiest thing to do as I tend to focus like that anyway (ie set the magnification I want and then move the camera to achieve focus). I suspect if you tried adjusting focus with the focus ring you probably would scare the bug off.
    Brian v.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Super, super Brian #2 & #3 are awesome. wings.gif

[Saw my first blue fly of the season this evening, so will have to dust of the 105 mwink.gif]
    edited September 7, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Super, super Brian #2 & #3 are awesome. wings.gif

[Saw my first blue fly of the season this evening, so will have to dust of the 105 mwink.gif]

Thanks Al, :)
    I've got the opposite problem here- the macro season doesn't seem to start or end :)
    Brian V.
    edited September 17, 2007
    Hi Dane,
    Not sure of the technical term but the dolichopid is a male and think that's it's clasper/genitals.
    Yes you are right, all except #1 & #4 have some hand stacking on them from 2 or 3 shots- often just the eye detail.
    Normal thing when sneaking up on them- keep out of the light and move in slowly. Obviously you only see pics where this has worked :). The flash diffuser does not seem to bother them aapart from them liking to fly off and sit on it (very annoying) but the dolichopid flies are very sensitive to the flash itself- they often fly off when the pre-flash fires so you get a pic of the bottom of their feet.

brian V.

Thanks for filling those details, Brian.

I presume you used your 5x macro lens for these flies, and the lens must have been about an inch or two from their little "noses." Not a pastime for those short on patience!rolleyes1.gif

Blessings,
    Dane
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all

edited September 17, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Thanks for filling those details, Brian.

I presume you used your 5x macro lens for these flies, and the lens must have been about an inch or two from their little "noses." Not a pastime for those short on patience!rolleyes1.gif

Blessings,
    Dane
    Dane- no none of them are at 5X think the highest is 3X but most around 2X.

Brian V.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Wow is right, now I see what “Macro” is all about. MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
    edited September 19, 2007
    Dane- no none of them are at 5X think the highest is 3X but most around 2X.

Brian V.

Thanks, Brian

That's pretty remarkable - I guess anything over 1:1 looks big to me!:D

Did you crop these at all?

I'd like to get a MPE 65 at some point, and I'm curious to know roughly how close your lens has to be to the subject to get, say, 3x magnification.

With my 100 macro at 1:1, the end of the lens is 6 inches or 15cm from my subject without the lens hood, which fills in another 3 inches of precious real estate, so I often leave it off when shooting sensitive bugs. I like the working distance, but yearn for greater magnification of those miniature marvels!

Thanks!
    Dane

edited September 19, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Thanks, Brian

That's pretty remarkable - I guess anything over 1:1 looks big to me!:D

Did you crop these at all?

I'd like to get a MPE 65 at some point, and I'm curious to know roughly how close your lens has to be to the subject to get, say, 3x magnification.

With my 100 macro at 1:1, the end of the lens is 6 inches or 15cm from my subject without the lens hood, which fills in another 3 inches of precious real estate, so I often leave it off when shooting sensitive bugs. I like the working distance, but yearn for greater magnification of those miniature marvels!

Thanks!
    Dane

Actually can't remember if I cropped any but it will be marginal composition type cropping if I did, but I probably didn't. The focus distance in front of the lens with an MPE-65 at 3:1 is 2 inches, at 5:1 it's 1.6 inches so it's pretty close but you get used to it.
    Have you tried just extension tubes- a full set of Kenkos will take you to 2:1 or reversing a 50mm lens onto the front of your macro will give you 3:1.
    Brian V.
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    clap.gifclapclap.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited September 22, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif