Dropped a lens.... really bad thing to do

DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
edited September 4, 2007 in Cameras
I was out on holiday when, changing lens, I opened the bag too much and my Nikkor 18-70 with both caps and hood fell on the floor. Was I p!ssed off ! The zooming was stiffer in the wide end, but the worst thing was that the image in the viewfinder sort of tilted when it focused. From the lcd it looked like it was focusing properly, so I kept using it.
When I got back I sent it to Nikon, today I got the price preview for the repair. They say they'll open the lens to repair zoom rings. Substitute lubricants in the rings. Fine tune and focusing control. And some other things I can't translate because I don't know what they are, but I assume they're internal parts that need either fixing or lubricant. They're asking 100€ for this. I don't know if I should pay it and get back a supposedly impecable lens or just tell them to send it back again because it's not like the iq is different, it's just not as nice to use. My budget is very limited, so even if I told them to send it back and put those 100€ towards a tamron 17-50 I wouldn't buy it in a near future. So... I leaning towards paying the money, but it's hard to do it when all that ( I think ) is wrong with it is a bit of stiffness and tilting. What would you do ?

Comments