C&C for my photoshop job

i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
edited September 5, 2007 in People
Working for a newspaper these days... trying to teach myself photoshop. Criticize away, I know it will only help :)
I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
~Herbert Keppler

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    You should not be manipulating the image if it is for the newspaper to use.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    This one isin't - it's going in the yearbook (they steal photos from us.)
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I had just assumed since you had mentioned working for the newspaper. The skintones are much too red, unless that is a specific look you were going for. Personally I think the skin is too smooth, there is no detail. But on the other hand I'm sure she would love it.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Personally I think it's too overboard. But again thats JMHO.ne_nau.gif
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Personally I think it's too overboard. But again thats JMHO.ne_nau.gif

the more i look at it the more i think there's too much red (although i think it may have just been the monitor I was on - it's not the nicest...)

~Herbert Keppler
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Working for a newspaper these days... trying to teach myself photoshop. Criticize away, I know it will only help :)
    You should get a larger response at The Whipping Post (just read the rules first deal.gif ).
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    My $.02
    First, if that was the look you were going for, you got it. Looks like a Playboy centerfold's butt - "airbrushed" to perfection. Yeah, a bit too red, but maybe that's also what your were looking for - heat of the moment fervor or whatever.
    That being said, I think you took her way too far. The poor girl is probably not happy with her skin, but your treatment sets a perfect standard for her. Think she'd be happy with you? No way. What you've done is just to show her how fouled up her (pretty) face is. If 'twere me I'd soften the scarring a lot, but let her look at her own face - not some face she'll never have.
    Still, I'm impressed with what you were able to do. Better'n me!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    First, if that was the look you were going for, you got it. Looks like a Playboy centerfold's butt - "airbrushed" to perfection. Yeah, a bit too red, but maybe that's also what your were looking for - heat of the moment fervor or whatever.
    That being said, I think you took her way too far. The poor girl is probably not happy with her skin, but your treatment sets a perfect standard for her. Think she'd be happy with you? No way. What you've done is just to show her how fouled up her (pretty) face is. If 'twere me I'd soften the scarring a lot, but let her look at her own face - not some face she'll never have.
    Still, I'm impressed with what you were able to do. Better'n me!

I'll second this comment. Just for fun, try making a layer of your original and another of your finished product and blend them a bit so some of her real complexion shows through but not to the extreme it shows in the right image. The mix between the red and green tones may balance out a bit too...
    Something like this. As you haven't given me permission to play with your photo I'll take it down if you prefer:
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Waht he said!!!
    15524779-Ti.gif Dude, you're good bowdown.gif .
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.