At the hive again

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited January 16, 2008 in Holy Macro
Cool that there is finally a macro forum here... :cool:

I went to see the bee keeper again, and this time I took more photos of the hive.

188037923-L.jpg

188038791-L.jpg

This next bee, and several others, were providing air conditioning in the 37C degree heat (high 90s F).

188039101-L.jpg

188039375-L.jpg

188057447-L.jpg

There is an outdoor faucet that the bee keeper allows to drip so the bees have a source of water. Since there are busy drinking they didn't pay much attention to me getting close.

2x:

188559563-L.jpg

3x:

188561818-L.jpg

4x:

188563626-L.jpg

5x:

188563892-L.jpg

C&C always welcome :)
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Cool that there is finally a macro forum here... :cool:

I went to see the bee keeper again, and this time I took more photos of the hive.
    This next bee, and several others, were providing air conditioning in the 37C degree heat (high 90s F).
    There is an outdoor faucet that the bee keeper allows to drip so the bees have a source of water. Since there are busy drinking they didn't pay much attention to me getting close.
    C&C always welcome :)

Wow John :jawdrop awesome shots clap.gif

I really like them all John, and in particular image No. 4
    You should be really really pleased with these.

You can see a significant difference between x3 x4 and x 5 magnification,
    and what I like about that is that you can clearly see there is a huge difference in what is clearly in visible as far as detail goes.

Excellent Post John clap.gifivar .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Wow John :jawdrop awesome shots clap.gif

I really like them all John, and in particular image No. 4
    You should be really really pleased with these.

You can see a significant difference between x3 x4 and x 5 magnification,
    and what I like about that is that you can clearly see there is a huge difference in what is clearly in visible as far as detail goes.

Excellent Post John clap.gifivar .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy. The life size shots (the ones at the beginning) are at F16. 2x is F11, 3x to 5x is F8. So as the magnification increases depth of field drops, but also because I'm having to open up the lens to keep diffraction to a minimum. The 4x and 5x images would have been sharper had I opened the lens up to F5.6, but I wanted a little more depth of field. Always trade offs in macro...

I am VERY happy with this set -they came out better this time than the last (a minor change to the lighting). I was contacted by someone from NASA's Earth Observatory web site -they want to use some of my bee photos on their web site. If it pans out I'll post links to the pages :)
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Thanks Skippy. The life size shots (the ones at the beginning) are at F16. 2x is F11, 3x to 5x is F8. So as the magnification increases depth of field drops, but also because I'm having to open up the lens to keep diffraction to a minimum. The 4x and 5x images would have been sharper had I opened the lens up to F5.6, but I wanted a little more depth of field. Always trade offs in macro...

I am VERY happy with this set -they came out better this time than the last (a minor change to the lighting). I was contacted by someone from NASA's Earth Observatory web site -they want to use some of my bee photos on their web site. If it pans out I'll post links to the pages :)

Every time you post John, I see you just keep improving :D
    You already produced excellent shots, it's exciting to see you still moving forward clap.gif well done! and congrats on the NASA site clap.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited September 5, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Every time you post John, I see you just keep improving :D
    You already produced excellent shots, it's exciting to see you still moving forward clap.gif well done! and congrats on the NASA site clap.gif
    ... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy -constantly reviewing what I do and how I do it to see if there is something that I can do better. Arnold Schwarzenegger said it best: "Stay hungry".
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    clap.gif Congrats & wonderful photos clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited September 5, 2007
    clap.gif Congrats & wonderful photos clap.gif

Thanks Awais!
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    edited September 5, 2007
    Excellent series John :)
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian!
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SylarSylar Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    wow
    Dalantech wrote:

Dalantech perfect work my friend, great bee shots with mp-e hope make good shots too, about NASA wow clap.gif , your shots goes to my best macro list join with brian
    Muhammad Almeida
    Canon 1D MKIII|Canon 5D MKII | Canon 16-35 2.8|Canon 85m 1.2 L II | Canon MP-E 2.8| Canon 70-200 2.8|Canon 100 F2.8 L IS | Canon 300m 2.8 L IS |Canon Tc 2x II | Canon TC 1.4 X | MT24X
    Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/phr3ck
    Website - www.wildlifeshot.com
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    These are amazing! Excellent photos!
  • job3210job3210 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    One word - Amazing
    Glenn
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I'm at a loss for words. Simply amazing work! bowdown.gif

I tried to get some macros of yellow jackets last fall. If you are unfamiliar with them, they are a ground dwelling species quite common here in the southern US. I set up just above the hole where they were entering and exiting their hive. I learned a few things that day. 1) They are far too aggressive for close ups in late September. 2) They will chase you a long distance. And 3) Benadryl makes me sleepy. :D
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    These are really great John. clap.gif Like the 1X mag ones the best. Guess I like seeing all of what you photograph. Congrats on the NASA thing. Hope it works out for you. You didn't say what you changed on your flash set-up. Care to share?
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Absolutely awesome. What lens are you using if I might ask. They are all incredible. Enjoyed viewing the.
    Peace, gail
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Awesome set Dalantechclap.gifclap.gif Bees are cool subjects.
  • ChrisKraftPhotoChrisKraftPhoto Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    I love those pictures! Great job!
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    I'm jealous bowdown.gif. These are great images. clap.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Great shots John!!!! I can't wait to start doing more this spring..lol digging out of 9" snow storm yesterday.

http://www.brogen.com/snow.jpg
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Those are awesome. My Hubby started Bee keeping last summer, really neat to see those!clap.gif
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    :cheeburga

...mmmmmm.. Those are good!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Amazing! How did you get so close without getting stinged?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston