Options

Detailed usage statistics?

davehoggdavehogg Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 20, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I'm not a Power User - I only have about 40 galleries - but I'm having an issue for the third time.

1) One of my galleries is from a cemetery, and I'm fairly certain that, somewhere on the net, someone has linked to the thumbnail of one of my pictures. It's not a high-traffic site, apparently, but that picture's thumbnail gets a steady stream of hits when the rest of the gallery is basically ignored.

2) Another gallery is from a Tiger Woods clinic before the Ryder Cup. Months after the pictures were posted, they suddenly got thousands of hits in one day. Obviously, someone had posted them on a website, and this time there was a lot of traffic. I turned off external links within a week, but the gallery got more hits within that week than any other gallery has gotten in the life of my account.

3) The latest time has been happening over the last couple weeks. I have a gallery of zoo pictures, and the "small" version of a picture of a tree kangaroo is getting an immense number of hits.

I don't want to turn off external links - I'm happy that people like my pictures enough to link to them. But I do want to know who is doing it. Is there any way to find out? I contacted Smugmug support about it during the Tiger Woods episode, and was told that the engineers would check the usage logs, but I never heard anything after that.

Is there anything I can do?

Dave Hogg
http://davehogg.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    You can change the image, maybe add text to it asking the viewer to email you.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    I'm not sure if it helps, but
    .. you can put one of the numerous free hit counters somewhere in your page.
    I defintely would work for pro account with their access to cobranding. What I don't know is how to achieve that in less-enabled accounts. You can try to put some counter related html code into image/gallery caption/description text and see if it works.

Or ask SM to provide a way to support your custom counters, but I seriously doubt the wish will be granted any time soon...

Basically, it goes along with the saying "you have to pay for your curiosity". You curious about detailed stats - I guess you'd have to pay for upgraded account... Or pay with your time and wait till SM implents free detailed stats for all subscription levels..

All I can say I got Pro SM account from the very start and there was not a single day I have any regrets about ti (even though I didn't have that many sales). Referrals alone got me out of red:-)

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    You can change the image, maybe add text to it asking the viewer to email you.
    I tried that. Hits keep piling up and no one has e-mailed me.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    davehogg wrote:
    I tried that. Hits keep piling up and no one has e-mailed me.
    Did you try checking your keywords? There is a thread somewhere here in the support area that has the CEO talking about how slow smugmug was for a few days when all the search engines started picking up on the fact of the new feature of keywords.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2005
    bham wrote:
    Did you try checking your keywords? There is a thread somewhere here in the support area that has the CEO talking about how slow smugmug was for a few days when all the search engines started picking up on the fact of the new feature of keywords.
    That gallery predates keywords by several months - the only keyword attached to the picture is "zoox", which was the name of the picture file.
  • Options
    jefjef Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    Hey, is there any way for non-pro users to find out if anyone is ordering prints of our photos? I poked around but did not see that stat. I'm going to upgrade to pro soon anyway, but if I'm already getting orders I would consider it very auspicious.
  • Options
    lumbuslumbus Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    .. you can put one of the numerous free hit counters somewhere in your page.
    I defintely would work for pro account with their access to cobranding.
    I don't think that would work. If these people are linking DIRECTLY to the picture (.jpg), the html (on the page where the picture would be on smugmug) will never get loaded.

I'd be interested in the same feature davehogg is talking about. As a software engineer I could do all the hosting myself, but it's a trade off between the amount of maintenance work (or lack there of) and the amount of control you have over the server. So, with more logging features, smugmug would probably attract more people like me.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    You can disable direct linking if you want to..
    lumbus wrote:
    I don't think that would work. If these people are linking DIRECTLY to the picture (.jpg), the html (on the page where the picture would be on smugmug) will never get loaded.

I'd be interested in the same feature davehogg is talking about. As a software engineer I could do all the hosting myself, but it's a trade off between the amount of maintenance work (or lack there of) and the amount of control you have over the server. So, with more logging features, smugmug would probably attract more people like me.
    It's all in your hands:-)

As to the full control - it's definitely upto personal taste.
    I (also a s/w developer :-) had my own site with pictures (even wrote a little app, eznails, to do most of the work automatically). But early 2004 several things happened.
    My collection already was a few Gb.
    A free webspace I had (I was doing a certain work for the guys, so it was a fair trade:-) was not there any more.
    I got Sony F828 and my volume started to grow 10x faster.
    A regular ads-free hosting with this amount of space would cost me an arm and a leg.
    And then Andy pointed me towards the smugmug...clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"