Image Posting in Other Forums

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited September 5, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have galleries with External Links and Easy Sharing set to "No".

So, if I use an image's link;
e.g., darphotos.smugmug.com/photos/123456789-L-LB.jpg (I dropped the http stuff for this post), in another forum then the image should not show up. Correct?

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    From what i understand, Easy sharing is used to show a "share" button on your gallery. As long as you're enabling external links, your pictures will show up if you post them on another forum, and yes, if you set "no" to external links, they wont show up.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • EphemeralEphemeral Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    To test, remember to clear your browser cache otherwise you're image will still be there. This can give the impression that the "no external links" is not working.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    the image should not show up. Correct?
    Incorrect.

External links must be ON. Easy sharing can be off though.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Incorrect.

External links must be ON. Easy sharing can be off though.

Well, I wrote that the image should not show with external linking off. That part should be true.

I am curious about another thing. How does sugmug know to not provide (allow?) an image to a forum (when a gallery's external linking is off), but a web browser will still show the image when you manually type the correct url directly into the browser's address? This completely bypasses any right-click "protection" that may have been set up. And, yes, I know that the image is already stored in the browser's cache. So right-click protection doesn't do much to protect from the people that really want an image.

I am sure there is some simple technical explanation.

Again....just curious. Not ranting or anything of the sort.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 5, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well, I wrote that the image should not show with external linking off. That part should be true.

I am curious about another thing. How does sugmug know to not provide (allow?) an image to a forum (when a gallery's external linking is off), but a web browser will still show the image when you manually type the correct url directly into the browser's address? This completely bypasses any right-click "protection" that may have been set up. And, yes, I know that the image is already stored in the browser's cache. So right-click protection doesn't do much to protect from the people that really want an image.

I am sure there is some simple technical explanation.

Again....just curious. Not ranting or anything of the sort.

Roger,

SmugMug is able to determine whether a user's browser or a forum/website is requesting the image from the IP headers, and block access from forums/websites.

On the note of right-click "protection", don't please lulled into a false sense of security...it should only be viewed as a cautionary copyright notice at best. The SmugMug "protected" option does a little more than just adding a right-click message, that makes it a bit harder to get the image for the casual internet user.

But the protected option along with blocking external links and watermarking images provides better security for your image.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Roger,

SmugMug is able to determine whether a user's browser or a forum/website is requesting the image from the IP headers, and block access from forums/websites.
    O.k.
    On the note of right-click "protection", don't please lulled into a false sense of security...it should only be viewed as a cautionary copyright notice at best. The SmugMug "protected" option does a little more than just adding a right-click message, that makes it a bit harder to get the image for the casual internet user.

But the protected option along with blocking external links and watermarking images provides better security for your image.
    Yeah..knew that. That's why I watermark.