First Attempt At Stacking

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited September 7, 2007 in Holy Macro
6 Images. Manually selected alignment points before stacking.
Images were converted from raw to jpg and the stack processed.
Result is uncropped and unedited.
Still a lot of halos and noise. I may need to eliminate one of the images from the stack.

EDIT:
Dropped two of the first images in the stack. They had sharper backgrounds, but the bokeh on the foreground was probably too much.
Did not manually align the stack this time.

Each shot was with the MP-E65 @1x, tripod + rail, natural light. 1/8 sec., f/11, ISO200

EDIT: Image Removed. See my galleries for images.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    6 Images. Manually selected alignment points before stacking.
    Images were converted from raw to jpg and the stack processed.
    Result is uncropped and unedited.
    Still a lot of halos and noise. I may need to eliminate one of the images from the stack.

EDIT:
    Dropped two of the first images in the stack. They had sharper backgrounds, but the bokeh on the foreground was probably too much.
    Did not manually align the stack this time.

Each shot was with the MP-E65 @1x, tripod + rail, natural light. 1/8 sec., f/11, ISO200

Hi there David, I like that second Edit clap.gif
    When you look at the image makes you wonder why the water just
    doesn't fall through the gaps, but then you remember its MACRO,
    and not as big as it appears on the screen.

The images reminds me of a Cone Shell from the beach :D
    ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Looks like it worked it well esp in #2 :)
    Brian V.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there David, I like that second Edit clap.gif
    When you look at the image makes you wonder why the water just
    doesn't fall through the gaps, but then you remember its MACRO,
    and not as big as it appears on the screen.

The images reminds me of a Cone Shell from the beach :D
    ... Skippy

This stacking thing is kind of cool.

Brian, of course, makes everything look so much better and easier. There is no way I could have done this without a rail on the tripod.
    edited September 6, 2007
    Looks like it worked it well esp in #2 :)
    Brian V.

Do you find that there is a limit to the number of images that can be stacked? It appears to me that the 6 I chose for the first attempt had too much variance in the range of DOF; i.e., the first two images had the large loop portion of the tendril in focus, but that caused the foreground for those images to be completely OOF, especially at f/11.

I am not sure how the CombineZM software works to handle such a range.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Wow, I got nowhere near this good a result when I first attempted stacking. Kudos! clap.gif The second edit looks fantastic. I can really feel that drop being squeezed.
    edited September 6, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Wow, I got nowhere near this good a result when I first attempted stacking. Kudos! clap.gif The second edit looks fantastic. I can really feel that drop being squeezed.

Thanks for the comments, Llywellyn. I am still amazed that Brian can do this with bugs and essentially handholding the camera. I was able to do this only because I used a rail and there was virtually no wind outside.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Do you find that there is a limit to the number of images that can be stacked? It appears to me that the 6 I chose for the first attempt had too much variance in the range of DOF; i.e., the first two images had the large loop portion of the tendril in focus, but that caused the foreground for those images to be completely OOF, especially at f/11.

I am not sure how the CombineZM software works to handle such a range.

Hi David,
    I've never tried to find a limit, think the most I have ever stacked just as a trial was 16 shots (it was the face of a coin but shot at a very low angle. I suspect the limit may be your patience and the amount of memory in the Pc. I know someone who does focus stacking on cacti who regularly uses around 100 pics but they do use Helicon focus (not sure if it make a difference). I go upto about 10 shots fairly frequently on complex dewdrop groups.

Brian V.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Very nice and clear
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery