LPS12 - The End of Envy

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited September 18, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
One concept, two ways of capturing it. For once, both came out exactly the way I envisioned in my mind. Of course, this now means I'm waffling on which is the stronger composition to enter. What do you think?

Option 1
192459935-M-jpg

Option 2
192459404-M.jpg

:dunno

Edited to update both options based on the awesome feedback from everyone.

Comments

• fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    For some reason, and I can't put my finger on it as to why, the first one says "suicide" and the second says "murder". So, I would have to say #1, unless you were going for murder... - hmm, maybe I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time!) The end of envy as someone killed them, or the end of envy as they ended their own life - okay, see, I am confused...
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    For some reason, and I can't put my finger on it as to why, the first one says "suicide" and the second says "murder". So, I would have to say #1, unless you were going for murder... - hmm, maybe I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time!) The end of envy as someone killed them, or the end of envy as they ended their own life - okay, see, I am confused...

Hm, I was actually going for murder. I did think while doing the shoot that suicide might be implied (through the image as well as the title), but I figured a bloody handprint on the wall and being outside the tub would be really weird for a suicide. Then I figured, well, murder and suicide are both sins, let the viewers interpret how they want!

But if you're just going to be confused, I may have to rethink that strategy. :D

Thank you for the feedback!
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    It says murder all the way to me. Very scary.

edited to say the first one is superior.
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Hm, I was actually going for murder. I did think while doing the shoot that suicide might be implied (through the image as well as the title), but I figured a bloody handprint on the wall and being outside the tub would be really weird for a suicide. Then I figured, well, murder and suicide are both sins, let the viewers interpret how they want!

But if you're just going to be confused, I may have to rethink that strategy. :D

Thank you for the feedback!

Don't let me put you off. Like you said, either way it's a sin and I did think of that - not to mention that they are both good shots! It just takes me a while sometimes to work things out.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    It's a strong concept, but the b/w conversion doesn't do it for me. It seems too dark in places and flat in others. It lacks a crisp quality--seems noisy.

My first thought was suicide, btw. I don't know that that has any bearing on the execution of your idea. I have an aunt who killed herself in a bathroom, so my gut reaction was more related to my past than to your concepts...

Jesse
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    #2 is better.
    edited September 6, 2007
    hamster wrote:
    It says murder all the way to me. Very scary.

edited to say the first one is superior.

Thank you. :)
    edited September 6, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    It's a strong concept, but the b/w conversion doesn't do it for me. It seems too dark in places and flat in others. It lacks a crisp quality--seems noisy.

My first thought was suicide, btw. I don't know that that has any bearing on the execution of your idea. I have an aunt who killed herself in a bathroom, so my gut reaction was more related to my past than to your concepts...

Jesse

Thank you for your feedback, Jesse. The noise is on purpose--sort of a tribute to Weegee, whose murder shots really disturbed me. I agree with you on the darkness in the first one--I've been struggling to get the right balance there. I'll work on that a bit more.

I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt. The suicide aspect of this picture, though unintended, also hits close to home for me.
    edited September 6, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    #2 is better.

Thanks, Gary! Just as I was leaning toward #1. :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    The first thing that came to mind when I saw these was the shower scene from "Psycho".

I'm leaning toward #1 and am wondering how it would look with more grain added to it. headscratch.gif
    edited September 6, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    The first thing that came to mind when I saw these was the shower scene from "Psycho".

I'm leaning toward #1 and am wondering how it would look with more grain added to it. headscratch.gif

Yes! "Psycho" was exactly what I had in mind after this concept popped into my head.

I just edited the first post to add a revised version of #1, actually with a teensy bit less grain but a bit more depth per Jesse's acute observation. Does it make you lean toward it a little more? headscratch.gif

Thank you for the feedback. :)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Yes! "Psycho" was exactly what I had in mind after this concept popped into my head.

I just edited the first post to add a revised version of #1, actually with a teensy bit less grain but a bit more depth per Jesse's acute observation. Does it make you lean toward it a little more? headscratch.gif

Thank you for the feedback. :)
    Try several versions with different levels grain applied and compare them to the one with less grain and more depth. For me, applying grain would seemingly emphasize the feeling of despair. But that's just me. ne_nau.gif

I do like the revised version you just posted. thumb.gif
    edited September 6, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    Try several versions with different levels grain applied and compare them to the one with less grain and more depth. For me, applying grain would seemingly emphasize the feeling of despair. But that's just me. ne_nau.gif

I do like the revised version you just posted. thumb.gif

Thanks, Linda. I'm with you on the grain idea. I actually shot these at ISO 1600 and used a bit of the blue channel in the conversion to really make it noisy. I don't understand the correlation between grain and despair myself, but I totally agree.

I'll definitely tinker with the grain some more to see if I can strike a good balance between it and the needed depth. Thank you for the suggestion! :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Hi Kerry, I really enjoy seeing you take the photo challenges into your own hands! I always mean to participate but never get my inspiration within the deadline.

I like your idea here, and I love the fact that it's building off of Psycho.

One thing I had to mention (because it just struck me so vividly) was how your photos remind me of a recent project one my favorite unknown photographers did recently. They are concept photos for a music album, but the ideas behind the photos are sin, betrayal and revenge.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think you're on the right track and I like it. thumb.gif
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Drama of a Suicide
    Llywellyn wrote:

Option 2
    192182456-M.jpg

Kerry,

Of the three images, I think #3 is by far the strongest.
    I like it because it has a more dramatic impact - the arm alone is more dramatic. Should the arm come in from the corner to lead the eye? All the hair seems to get in the way in the prior two images.

Having said that, the shower knob and bathtub nozzle don't contribute significantly to the suicide's drama. In image #2, you have minimized them with a masking technique.

Would it be appropriate to do more minimization in image #3 - perhaps a black gradient going to white from right to left?
    I think this would enhance your drama and drive up the judges score by one to two points!

I like what your tryin' to do - keep 'em comin'...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
    edited September 6, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think you're on the right track and I like it. thumb.gif

Thanks, Schmooo! And thank you for linking to that gallery. I enjoyed it, and the presentation of the Polaroids--smartly done. :D
    edited September 6, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    I like what your tryin' to do - keep 'em comin'...

Thanks, Joe. I had a few shots of Option 2 where the arm came from the corner instead of just above it. The composition just didn't work as well to my eye.

I like your suggestion about masking the faucet like I did for the first one. It hadn't occured to me to apply it there, too.

Looks like I have more tweaking to do on both versions in an effort to make one the strongest. :D
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Hmmm...
    I am sure like more obsessed photogs.....I tend to sit around and think about shots I want to take...so this being my first attempt at LPS...I was laying in bed last night dreaming of my entry shots....and surprisingly they looked a lot like yours....

Good work!

Now I get to think again tonight....and this time act sooner...

Jon
    edited September 6, 2007
    HarleyPugs wrote:
    Now I get to think again tonight....and this time act sooner...

Phhhhbt. You could always do it better! :D

I'm one of those creative types who sort of gets possessed by an idea, and if I don't execute immediately, I lose sleep over it because I'm just too excited/anxious to see the final product. I was never a very patient child. mwink.gif
    edited September 6, 2007
    Alrighty. First post edited to update both options based on the incredible feedback. I find myself leaning more toward #1 right now. Argh. I hate being indecisive.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 18, 2007
    I love these photos. They are very well put together and I wish I had the abilities to do such photos .
    Llywellyn wrote:
    One concept, two ways of capturing it. For once, both came out exactly the way I envisioned in my mind. Of course, this now means I'm waffling on which is the stronger composition to enter. What do you think?

Option 1
    192459935-M-jpg

Option 2
    192459404-M.jpg

ne_nau.gif

Edited to update both options based on the awesome feedback from everyone.
    edited September 18, 2007
    d22 wrote:
    I love these photos. They are very well put together and I wish I had the abilities to do such photos .

Thank you! I've learned a lot since coming to this forum. :D