Options

New for Pro subcribers; 24MB images!

Baron von KiperBaron von Kiper Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited September 13, 2007 in Finishing School
Can someone tell me how you can possibly produce a 24MB jpg? I have a 10MP camera and it takes great shots and produces huge file sizes. However, after editing it in PS CS and it comes time to save it as a jpg (as required by SmugMug) I get a measly 5-8 MB image. So, how on earth are people managing to come up with 24MB jpg?

Comments

• Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Easy
    Can someone tell me how you can possibly produce a 24MB jpg? I have a 10MP camera and it takes great shots and produces huge file sizes. However, after editing it in PS CS and it comes time to save it as a jpg (as required by SmugMug) I get a measly 5-8 MB image. So, how on earth are people managing to come up with 24MB jpg?

Scanners. You can easily generate a 50MB file from a film scan.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    I get a measly 5-8 MB image. So, how on earth are people managing to come up with 24MB jpg?

Stitched Panoramas.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007

I bet if you capture a RAW file from the new 1Ds mark III and save it as a Quality 12 JPEG it will come in pretty close to that size.

Plus panoramas.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007

Some of my Genuine Fractaled Landscapes ( 300dpi 20 x 30 and 30 X 40 files) will come pretty dang close to this...........also this would b e a nominal size file for a digital medium format shooter.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 10, 2007
    Genuine Fractiles
    Art Scott wrote:
    Some of my Genuine Fractaled Landscapes ( 300dpi 20 x 30 and 30 X 40 files) will come pretty dang close to this...........also this would b e a nominal size file for a digital medium format shooter.................

Yes, but GF can only be saved as a stng file, not jpg as smugmug requires,
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007

I just opened a psd file, upresed it in GF 5.0, and went to save as, and can save to any format I want.

I only convert to jpg as required, but I can tell you I have psd files in the 600mb - 700mb range. :D

Sam
  • Options

This has not been so since GF 4.0 or 4.1......and they are also now a 1 step up rez by pixel dimension or by inch dimension or by percentage of size (20%, 30% larger etc etc) the copy I have on cd from Lizard Tech is 3.0 still using stng but I have the 4.1 trial upgrade and man was that quite an improvement and it must have been even greater leaps to GF 5.0 that Sam is using.......For uprezing software GF is still winning all the awards...adobe has even praised it in the past as being must better and FASTER than using the 10% step method of Photoshop...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Gen Frac 5.0?
    Art Scott wrote:
    This has not been so since GF 4.0 or 4.1......and they are also now a 1 step up rez by pixel dimension or by inch dimension or by percentage of size (20%, 30% larger etc etc) the copy I have on cd from Lizard Tech is 3.0 still using stng but I have the 4.1 trial upgrade and man was that quite an improvement and it must have been even greater leaps to GF 5.0 that Sam is using.......For uprezing software GF is still winning all the awards...adobe has even praised it in the past as being must better and FASTER than using the 10% step method of Photoshop...............

Well, that explains a lot. I've got GF 2.5 and never really used it that much due to it being so limited in how you can save files (stg), which no processor could have deal with, so I stopped using it. I see an upgrade in my future.

Thanks to everyone who advised me on this.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2007
    Well, that explains a lot. I've got GF 2.5 and never really used it that much due to it being so limited in how you can save files (stg), which no processor could have deal with, so I stopped using it. I see an upgrade in my future.

Thanks to everyone who advised me on this.

There were instructions on how to do the change back to jpg in
    their help filesmwink.gifwinkmwink.gifwink:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif