Options

URGENT!! omg...now what? (lens problem? camera problem?)

JaravissJaraviss Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited September 7, 2007 in Technique
so yeah...i'm the new guy :rolleyes who decided to drop a bit of $$$$ on a camera, lenses, tripod, batteries, cards, etc....(out of the blue) LOL

anyway i'm still really excited about my purchase and my new hobby...today at lunch i took the camera and put on the Canon EFS 60mm macro lens.
took about 90 pics got home to download them.
what i saw is troubling me.... uh oh.
most have a line splitting the image into two or 3 pieces and the image is shifted along these lines and there are major problems with color/exposure?
and one (the blue one) is hte worst of them all.

what did i do????

img1547vu4.jpg

img1558ly7.jpg

img1581dp7.jpg

img1584lp4.jpg

:hung -G
equipment:
canon rebel XTi
18-55mm lens
60mm macro lens
75-300mm telephoto lens
canon speelite 580 EXII

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    I'm pretty sure you didn't do anything. I'm guessing the problem is either a bad memory card or a glitch in transferring the pics to your computer.

If you haven't erased the card yet, take a look at the pics in the camera. If they don't show the same problems, then that points to the transfer process. If you have more than one memory card, try shooting some new pics on each of them. Look at them in the camera before transferring them. If they are all bad from all cards in the camera, then you probably have a camera issue and will need to have it serviced. How are you transferring the pics to the computer? The cable between the computer and the camera or card reader is another possible source of trouble. Try a different one if you have it.

Let us know what you discover and we'll help pin the problem down.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you didn't do anything. I'm guessing the problem is either a bad memory card or a glitch in transferring the pics to your computer.

If you haven't erased the card yet, take a look at the pics in the camera. If they don't show the same problems, then that points to the transfer process. If you have more than one memory card, try shooting some new pics on each of them. Look at them in the camera before transferring them. If they are all bad from all cards in the camera, then you probably have a camera issue and will need to have it serviced. How are you transferring the pics to the computer? The cable between the computer and the camera or card reader is another possible source of trouble. Try a different one if you have it.

Let us know what you discover and we'll help pin the problem down.

Regards,
    rsinmadrid
    thank you for the quick reply.
    i am using an internal card reader (inside the computer, it's attached to a usb port)
    anyway...once i transferred them, i deleted them off the card ne_nau.gif
    Laughing.gif

i'm really happy you replied, because at this point, after reading your comment, i do feel it was a transfer problem.

i'll shoot some more and check it out (with the other card too).

if i encounter the problem, i'll try transferring them via cable that came with the computer.

lesson learned: do not erase card until images are verified. bowdown.gif

THanks again!!

anyway...here is a picture i snapped with the macro lens while joey was getting ready to order...i don't remember what was so funny, but i like this pic. any comments on the image?

joeyresizedse9.jpg
    when i look at the information on the picture it says:
    Shutter Speed: 1/250 sec
    Exposure Program: Normal Program
    F-Stop: f/5.6
    Aperture Value: f/5.6
    ISO Speed Ratings: 400
    Focal Length: 60.0mm
    Flash: Did not fire
    Metering Program: Pattern

and for some reason..i'm pasting the "histogram" in here?? ne_nau.gif
    histogrambk8.jpg

-G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    What type of cards are you using...I bought lexar at one time just to have a great recovery software and I ahve recoivered images from cards that had been reformatted a couple of times........also never delete the images (or erase them )....you want to reformat the cards IN YOUR CAMERA....this recommended by every camera mfg'er that I know of...also I have found it a good idea to format new cards before using them the first time...this gets them formatted to the camera's OS and for me gives methe feeling that they will work better...actually I had a card that did not want to work correctly riht out of the box and that made me start formatting from the get go........

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    You did not name your CF card, but some are definitely much more reliable than others.

If this recurs with a different CF card, I would consider having the camera replaced myself. A new camera should work flawlessly and this is not without flaws.

If the issue is entirely one of transfer within your computer, after the card is out of your camera, then that is probably not camera related. But you do need to understand why it is happening, to avoid it recurring. I would probably want that CF card replaced if it acts up in the future also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Years ago when I first transitioned to digital photography, I encounted this same problem and it was indeed a bad (generic) card. I saw the same distorted images in camera as well.

I agree with Art, get good cards with recovery software (Sandisk Extreme and Lexar). Funny thing, since I have switched exclusively to Sandisk Extreme/Extreme III cards, I have never needed to use the recovery software!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    I have had card failures or hijinks with Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston, and other generics. I will no longer buy any cards except Sandisk, Lexar, or Transcend. I have regretted it too often.

But I agree that I strongly favor Sandisk for reliablility. Strongly favor it!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    thanks...the card is.....
    Thanks all...the card is a SanDisk ultra II, 1.0 GB.
    hmmmm i'll pay attention to handling all of the formatting within the camera.

Thanks again!
    -G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    deleted files?
    don't fret... unless you've shot over them already...

go to freewarefiles.com
    search for Recuva
    download, install, run on your cards, wait, thank me for your recovered files (if you didn't overwrite them). :D

if you have Lexar cards, there is a restore utility like someone mentioned. i can't seem to find mine now though.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto