Decisions, Decisions...

BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
edited September 14, 2007 in Cameras
Hi folks,

I've got a decision I'm trying to make,

Right now I own a Rebel XT with about 10,000 shots on it, the Canon 10-22, Canon 100mm USM Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8 as well as the 18-55 kit lens and a sigma 70-300...

For the shootout I'm planning on at least renting the Canon 24-105 L and the Canon 100-400L

But I have a decision to make,

I can hold off and pick up one of those lenses after the shootout, or if conditions are right, both, if I like them.

Or, I can pick up the 40d, probably sell the Rebel XT, and I might be able to get one of those lenses after the shootout, but not as likely.

I hate this decision because I would like to get a better lens lineup, but I really love some of the features on the 40d as well as the build, it really is a beautiful body. At the same time, I'm not sure that I need the upgrade.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    G'day ben...thats a tough call. If i was you i would sell the Rebel now & get the 40D as i think there is significant improvement to warrant having it over the 350/400/20/30 models. I would certainly think you will be in heaven with the 40 & the 24-105 L. We suffer for our hobby & there is nothing wrong with living on bread..beans & water and having nice equipment.

Thats just me anyway.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Hi folks,

I've got a decision I'm trying to make,

Right now I own a Rebel XT with about 10,000 shots on it, the Canon 10-22, Canon 100mm USM Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8 as well as the 18-55 kit lens and a sigma 70-300...

For the shootout I'm planning on at least renting the Canon 24-105 L and the Canon 100-400L

But I have a decision to make,

I can hold off and pick up one of those lenses after the shootout, or if conditions are right, both, if I like them.

Or, I can pick up the 40d, probably sell the Rebel XT, and I might be able to get one of those lenses after the shootout, but not as likely.

I hate this decision because I would like to get a better lens lineup, but I really love some of the features on the 40d as well as the build, it really is a beautiful body. At the same time, I'm not sure that I need the upgrade.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Ben

Second (third) job.
    Rich uncle (aunt).
    Sugar momma.
    etc.

This is an expensive hobby. You have to decide your own priorities. If you have exhausted the 350D/XT features then you might be ready for a new body.

I haven't seen an exhaustive review of the 40D yet so I think it's a little early to recommend it. The faster shooting performance and new autofocus section do look very nice.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    40D for the AF alone. Heck a reduced price 30D would be a great upgrade from your XT.

Gene
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Ben

I would probably pickup the new glass in favour of a new body.
    The 40D will become cheaper over time and if you get the 100-400
    or/and the 24-105 you can get rid of your kit lens or/and the sigma
    and invest it in a 40D later. It's always nice to have the newest
    gizmo with the latest bells and whistles ... but dont be mislead.

After a week or two the new camera will have become a tool
    just like your rebel is right now. And then you'll have to ask
    yourself if you hadn't better picked up two fantastic L lenses.

I say, get the glass and wait for the 40D to be cheaper. thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited September 8, 2007
    I tend to agree with Manfr3d. You haven't said how the XT is limiting your shooting. Unless there is a specific problem you need to overcome, I think you will find more immediate--and lasting--gains in getting better glass first. A kit lens on a 40D is not going to give you the IQ you would get with L glass on an XT. As time goes by, bodies (especially used) just keep giving more value for your money, so if you postpone your upgrade you will get a better deal.

Regards,
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 8, 2007
    Personally, I'd go for a 30D - they should be pretty cheap now - unless there's a killer feature on the 40D that you must have. Just remember, there will always be a camera with better specs than yours. Don't let that bother you. The difference in control between the Rebel series and X0D series is quite significant, though, and that's what you should go for.
    As far as the lenses go, well, they're both pretty much "meh" in my opinion. I think a 17-something lens might serve you better than the 24-105. I'm not necessarily talking about image quality, it's just that the 24-105 has a pretty useless field of view range on a 1.6 crop body, and personally, I put usefulness before image quality - to a certain degree, of course. But I'd rather have a lens that's rated 7/10 on image quality but has a REALLY useful focal length range than a 10/10 that covers focal lengths I don't really use that often.
    I'm sorry I can't provide you with any definitive answers, but I think you'll be able to come to your own conclusions.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Thanks everyone, you all raise valid points, and I thank you for sharing your opinions.

After reading your comments, I think it has helped ground me, pulling me down to earth... I really liked the 40d and was blinded by it... I think it wise, for me to hold off, and return the 40d I bought, then I can rent the lenses and buy them after the shootout if I like them.

Ziggy,
    I don't think the rebel XT has really been limiting in specific areas yet, I mean, a few features would be handy in the future, but that's not 'now'... :)

rsinmadrid, and Manfr3d,
    Your points hit home, It would suck to be stuck with the kit lens and that 70-300 for an even longer period of time. As it is, rarely do I use the kit lens, or the 70-300, I just stick to the other 3 that put out some quality. I kinda figured the rental would cover that, but I guess as soon as the rental is over, I'm stuck back at ground zero, And the 40d will always go down in price... :)

Gus and kini62,
    Thanks for the encouragement, while the 40d Is an awesome camera, I've had it in my hands, and in my ownership. I'm realizing though, that I don't think I've hit the limits of the Rebel XT yet, and it can serve me well through the shootout, until I'm ready to make the next step up.

juze,
    actually one of the features I really liked was the live view, should be handy for focussing in macro shots. As for lenses, I figure I alread have the canon 10-22, and that should cover the range that the 24-105 does not, my other option is the 24-70, combined with one of the 70-200 lenses... We'll see... :)

Thanks, everyone!

Ben
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Here is a thought...
    Keep the 350D and buy a 30D. I have done that and I am very happy using at least 2 bodies.

That way, you don't need to switch lenses in the field as often and you can choose a pair of lenses based upon their performance rather than opting for a lens because of its wide focal length range.

Your 10-22mm and a mid-range zoom of from 24-28mm to 70-75mm with a constant f/2.8 aperture is an excellent combination when used on two bodies. You have a virtually seamless focal range of 10 through 70 or 75mm with great imagery.

You also have the added insurance of a second body so you will never be caught flat-footed if one of the bodies fails.

I carry a 12-24mm Tokina f/4 along with a 24-70mm f/2.8L on a OPTECH Reporter strap. This strap makes carrying two camera/lenses really easy.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    And guess what... I changed my mind again... I am now the owner of a brand new Canon 40D wings.gif

I'm renting the lenses for the shootout, then if I like it, I'll probably get the 24-105 afterwards...

Thanks guys!!!