School Football

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited September 12, 2007 in Sports
well with school starting up i took on the Photo editor position in our photojournalism department. we all get assigned to sports and such so i picked football. overall its been goin pretty damn good:D

heres from our first game.

192753620-L.jpg

192753494-L.jpg

192753355-L.jpg

more to come later since i gotta run out to another game tonight. C&C welcome as always.

thanks,
DanielB
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    dang, dan'lb, don't get run over, those guys will crush you-

great shots!-
  • CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    DanielB, them are some cool shots. Especially love the first one!! Great job.
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Very dynamic first shot!

My only two suggestions are: don't be afraid to crop, you usually have to; and I can't seen any detail in the dark pants of the last shot.

Have fun, shooting sports is enjoyable!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    thanks all :) yeah its a blast. i'm gettin to the point where i'll listen to what the coach is saying so i can get into position for the next play. i'm learning what player is their go to guy so when he comes out i watch him and such. and i've already been tackled twice thumb.gif lol. it was sweet. my favorite thing to get in photos though is them falling and seeing the astro-turf go flying
    Daniel Bauer

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Awesome shots!! I love football pictures, but can't never make any decent myself Laughing.gif. My son is always begging me to bring a camera to his games, but i can't manage anything good. Games are at 8pm, yikes!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 9, 2007
    Hey Daniel wave.gif

Branching out a bit? Lookin' good. Especially that first one.

One comment though. You need to watch your horizon. Most of these are not
    level.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Hey Daniel wave.gif

Branching out a bit? Lookin' good. Especially that first one.

One comment though. You need to watch your horizon. Most of these are not
    level.
    never hurts to try out new stuff :D

and will do. its def hard to get faces in football too.
    Daniel Bauer

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    These are great. That first one almost looks 3D.

You need to crop these tighter and focus on exposing properly for the eyes. This can be difficult with those helmets, but your shots will have greater impact if you can see the faces well.
  • willaibachwillaibach Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    wow
    That first shot is amazing! What lens are you using?
    But He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Cor 12:9

www.steveandwilla.com
    Mitchell wrote:
    These are great. That first one almost looks 3D.

You need to crop these tighter and focus on exposing properly for the eyes. This can be difficult with those helmets, but your shots will have greater impact if you can see the faces well.

Would you mind being more specific in how you would crop these? I do football pics myself, and I'm always in a dilemma about how to crop the pics. The choice for me often seems to be between a great shot of an individual player, vs telling the story of the play. Does that make sense? I thought dialogue on these shots might help some of us figure this process out a little better. Thanks!!!!bowdown.gif
    But He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Cor 12:9

www.steveandwilla.com
    The last shot could be cut in half on the vertical axis.

The middle shot could be cropped to include only the ball carrier and the tacklers.

Trailing players usually don't add much to a shot. Look at the sports pics in the newspaper or Sports Illustrated or on www.si.com or www.espn.com. They often crop to focus on the action.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    wxwax wrote:
    The last shot could be cut in half on the vertical axis.

The middle shot could be cropped to include only the ball carrier and the tacklers.

Trailing players usually don't add much to a shot. Look at the sports pics in the newspaper or Sports Illustrated or on www.si.com or www.espn.com. They often crop to focus on the action.

I see what you mean. That's helpful. Thanks!

www.steveandwilla.com
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    ...don't be afraid to crop...

Wow, who turned on the way-back machine? Seems only yesterday that Sid was cropping everything in site. lol3.gif

Nice shots Daniel. Subjects are nice and sharp while the backgrounds are out of focus thumb.gif
    cletus wrote:
    Wow, who turned on the way-back machine? Seems only yesterday that Sid was cropping everything in site. lol3.gif

Nice shots Daniel. Subjects are nice and sharp while the backgrounds are out of focus thumb.gif
    lol3.gif
    Sid.