HELP - Lens Autofocus problem

Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
edited September 10, 2007 in Cameras
Hello all,

Hopping someone out there can help me or has had a similar problem. A few weeks ago I rented a 70-200 f2.8 L series with IS for my Canon 30D to shoot a company beach party (on a side note I really need to buy one of those lenses) since that day for some reason I have been having major problems trying to get my canon efs 17-85mm to autofocus. it seems to be just this lens, all of my others are working fine, any thoughts on what could be causing this? It worked just fine prior to renting the other lens.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Jeff Milo
MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    Autofocus switch on the lens turned off? ne_nau.gif
  • D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Autofocus switch on the lens turned off? ne_nau.gif

+1

Is it hunting or is it completly dead no motor noise etc..
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    lol - first thing i checked what the switch, it is tunred on.

It seems to be dead, no motor noise at all. the trigger is dead, it will not even let me take an out of focus picture in AF mode. If I switch to manual I can shoot.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    Carefully clean the contacts of both the lens and the camera. It is possible the rental lens left something behind or that the contacts of your EF-S 17-85mm, f4-f5.6 IS just coincidentally got dirty.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    thanks for the advise, I tried cleaning the contacts as you suggested and no improvement. I called Canon and they had me bring it to a service center. The guy there tried it and seems to think the problem is with the AF motor. Problem is it will take them 7-10 days to fix it. I am going to Shays WPBC this weekend and need that lens so looks like I am going to have to hope all the $$ I paid for lasic was worth it and use the manual focus for the weekend.

Thanks again fopr your help.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com