New to DSLR's and new to macro

SimonMWSimonMW Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited September 10, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hi,

I'm pretty new to DSLR's. Got my first one the other week (Pentax K10D). I had a few old primes and some bellows lying around and did some test shots with a 135mm Super Takumar. I decided I would like to try macro photography a lot more, so I managed to get a longer bellows unit and focus rails on Ebay for next to nothing. They turned out to be in as new condition. The focus rails seem to have made life a lot easier!

Here is a shot I took quite quickly with the new setup. It's no masterpiece, and like a fool I forgot to switch RAW mode on when I took it which caused me problems as I had under exposed (the joys of learning new equipment!) But I'd appreciate any comments anyway (don't be too harsh!)

Still trying to get to grips with things like post sharpening, so I've been reading the tutorials on Dgrin frantically and hope to put some of the new found knowledge to work when I next go out.

flyonpostnew.jpg

Here is another one I took just afterwards.

flyleafnew.jpg
My website
My Smugmug gallery
Pentax K10D
Canon 60D

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    SimonMW wrote:
    Hi,

I'm pretty new to DSLR's. Got my first one the other week (Pentax K10D). I had a few old primes and some bellows lying around and did some test shots with a 135mm Super Takumar. I decided I would like to try macro photography a lot more, so I managed to get a longer bellows unit and focus rails on Ebay for next to nothing. They turned out to be in as new condition. The focus rails seem to have made life a lot easier!

Here is a shot I took quite quickly with the new setup. It's no masterpiece, and like a fool I forgot to switch RAW mode on when I took it which caused me problems as I had under exposed (the joys of learning new equipment!) But I'd appreciate any comments anyway (don't be too harsh!)

Still trying to get to grips with things like post sharpening, so I've been reading the tutorials on Dgrin frantically and hope to put some of the new found knowledge to work when I next go out.
    Here is another one I took just afterwards.

Hi Simon and welcome to Dgrin :D

It's so nice to see more people interested in MACRO joining and sharing their work.

I like both shots, the second fella looks like he has a wooden nose rolleyes1.gif

Glad to have you on board Simon, please continue to share your work.

We have many tutorials here on Dgrin click on this link .

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284

Happy Shooting thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SimonMWSimonMW Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Thanks Skippy.

The shots that people have been posting on this forum have been incredible. Macro photography is something I'd really like to do a lot of. It's very challenging to say the least! But seems to have the biggest feeling of achievement when a good shot is obtained.
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Your second shot of the hoverfly Rhingia campestris is wonderful- loks like you are getting on pretty well already :)
    Brian V.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Congrats loved your shots
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Great shots. Welcome to the forum!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Nice shots! The second one is cool! thumb.gif
  • SimonMWSimonMW Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins