can't decide

TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
edited September 9, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I like both of these, but can't decide, I think I'm having too much chaos in my life right now to think straight..LOL

Any impact from these??

"Fallen Star"
277056476.jpg

"Loss of Restraint" or "Loss of Pride"
277064991.jpg

(updated with beercan OK So it is a Fancy Smancy Bud, but it had to match..LOL) This is the ONE time I could not find a Bud Can...Sheesh!!

"No Pain, No Shame"
277112324.jpg

"On A Bender".... (In B/W as per Gary's Request)
277113748.jpg
You're only as good as your next photo....
One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote

Comments

• TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    I'm sorry to say that neither does much for me. I understand what you're going for, but to me they don't say sin - and certanly not virtue. Rather it's a well lit shot of either a homeless person or a passed our drunk (or both).

Personally speaking, and without going OT or starting a debate, sin has to do with intent, and the greater the intent the greater the sin. This doesn't scream intent to me. Hope this helps.

Scott
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    I think the first is more powerful. Wish it were clear that it is a can of beer beside him- maybe it is to those who know their beers - but I think it is a strong (and sad) photo. I will leave to others to debate whether overindulgence is a sin or a virtue.

Virginia

Email
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Trasmc wrote:
    I'm sorry to say that neither does much for me. I understand what you're going for, but to me they don't say sin - and certanly not virtue. Rather it's a well lit shot of either a homeless person or a passed our drunk (or both).

Personally speaking, and without going OT or starting a debate, sin has to do with intent, and the greater the intent the greater the sin. This doesn't scream intent to me. Hope this helps.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I appreciate your response and respect your opinion, but although he may appear to just a "homeless person or a drunk" in your eyes, I ask you, have you ever looked at a "homeless person or a drunk" and wondered "How The Hell they Got There?...you have to think about what got him to this predicament...the Sin of Over Indulgence of Liquor...he did not have the Virture of Temperance "Self Restraint" or perhaps he indulged in teh sin of wrath, and he was SO angry about his life, that he over indulged to forget...

Here is a list of the 7 sins vs 7 virtures.

Sin - Virtue
    Pride (vanity) - Humility (modesty)
    Envy (jealousy) - Kindness (admiration)
    Wrath (anger) - Forgiveness (composure)
    Sloth (laziness/idleness) - Diligence (zeal/integrity/Labor)
    Greed (avarice) - Charity (giving)
    Gluttony (over-indulgence) - Temperance (self-restraint)
    Lust (excessive sexual appetites) - Chastity (purity)
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    My first gut response was sadness and then pity because I knew the photo was going to be about something on the sin side.

I think the first shot is the strongest with the limbs being cut off giving me a feeling of "something's not right." I just wish the can behind him were more obvious. As it is, there's almost a sense that he's just a very exhausted traveler who fell asleep drinking a soda...
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    edited September 8, 2007
    Thanky thanky...Will post the 3rd one with the beer can more prevalent...
  • CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    how about ,loss of consciousness :D I understand your point but not sure if it does it headscratch.gif but the beer can may help
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Donna,

I definitely agree that the first one is more powerful. My gut reaction was he had been hurt by *someone* but as I scanned the picture and saw the beer can, I got that a-ha moment and knew immediately what you were going for.

I prefer the "Fallen Star" title - much more interesting and "I have to see" than the perhaps more descriptive alternatives.

iloveyou.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Donna,

I think that what might make this subject better display the concept of sin would be to put such a scene in the context of the larger world. For instance, if this is indeed a real scene, not a pose, the perhaps you could go back there, then move back from it and photograph some "well" people walking by and not paying attention to this poor man. THAT would be the sin, the nonchalance... I had this idea for myself, but I think I just don't have the guts to go do it...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited September 8, 2007
    Thanks All for your remarks....I am VERY appreciative..

Mark...it is soooo wierd that you should express the people walking by, cuz it was a SIN...NOT one PERSON stopped to see if this man was alive or dead...I was appalled...He may be Homeless, A Drunk, or perhaps just "Down on His Luck" and went way over board on a bender (That is what I thought cuz of the clothing..His clothes match and his shoes)...and it was so hot today...and this guy was sleeping on HOT CEMENT...there was NO concern, no curiousness, no sympathy, NOTHING I tell you, it kind of made me realize more still the world that we are living in these days....Now That is A SIN!!

This is the reason I took the photo, cuz I was the ONLY ONE that stopped to see if this guy was breathing.

I don't know if this guy is still there and it was kind of a fluke, BUT if he is there, I will have no problem capturing the SIN of Not Caring!!

Thanks Everyone...I really do appreciate the input!!
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Hey Donna,

When the images finally came up (real slow connection here at work) the first thing I thought of was this image posted the other day in the people forum

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=70489&highlight=west

It's an image that can be found on almost any street corner in any major city acros this country, sad but true.

I think I know what you were thinking and what you are attempting to show but from these I don't think you accomplished that. Perhaps you could ask HIM what happened, and capture something from that moment. Or here is an idea for you. Get a copy of the "big book" and somehow incorporate that (without disrespect of course) into your entry.

This challenge is tough to say the least but I'm sure you will be able to pul it off.

Joe
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    #1 is the better composition. But I don't like the color. Did you consider B&W?
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Impact? For sure. The first shot seems intrusive. The second shot tells the story. The brick, the sidewalk for a bed, and most importantly, his hand, even while he is passed out, protects what is important to him...that can of beer. I (IMHO) don't visualize this as sin, but in the same respect, I do view this as a photo of 100% opposite of virtue. This photo is striking, and will affect many. Thanks for sharing.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited September 9, 2007
    Thanks Joe, but I don't know if this person will be there again (in front of a 7-11 store), and I'm very sure he won't want to talk..Laughing.gif

Thanks Gary...Posted it in b/w for your viewing.

Leaforte....Way Cool...YOU Caught what I saw...That hand of his did it...Protecting his vice, I was amazed when I took this photo...I was like...Sheesh, he is passed out cold, and his hand is still protecting that beer....

I was leaning towards #2, as I liked the hand, the curve of him on the ground, the positioning of his other hand, the wall and sidewalk, there was something about that photo that grabbed me...but the masses are saying #1 is the Strong One...I thought that 2 showed a strong story line and the viewers could see the story..

In my mind it is still a sin to see someone like this, especially with all that the USA has to offer....Just makes you wonder what each person's breaking point is ??

Ahhh who knows with my mind....I might try for something else...

BUT Thanks Everyone So Far for all your imput...I am still undecided, I have a few more ideas, but my model is MIA...Grrrr!!
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Thanks All for your remarks....I am VERY appreciative..

Mark...it is soooo wierd that you should express the people walking by, cuz it was a SIN...NOT one PERSON stopped to see if this man was alive or dead...I was appalled...He may be Homeless, A Drunk, or perhaps just "Down on His Luck" and went way over board on a bender (That is what I thought cuz of the clothing..His clothes match and his shoes)...and it was so hot today...and this guy was sleeping on HOT CEMENT...there was NO concern, no curiousness, no sympathy, NOTHING I tell you, it kind of made me realize more still the world that we are living in these days....Now That is A SIN!!

This is the reason I took the photo, cuz I was the ONLY ONE that stopped to see if this guy was breathing.

I don't know if this guy is still there and it was kind of a fluke, BUT if he is there, I will have no problem capturing the SIN of Not Caring!!

Thanks Everyone...I really do appreciate the input!!

Donna,

What a shame! I've seen the same kind thing. We were just vacationing in Toronto and the part of the city we stayed in seemed to have a lot of homeless people. It was amazing to see everyone just walk by, like they were invisible or something.

As far as you photos go, I also like the photos and the concept for LPS 12. Not much more I can add than what's already been said but agree that the alcohol needs to be more obvious if going for that concept. Backing off and adding the people ignoring him would be powerful as well, although it changes the message from the one I think you were originally going for.

I'm sure it'll be great when your done. Can't wait to see it.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    One more thing, I like the "Fallen Star" name.
    edited September 9, 2007
    I like the B&W best. I'd work some more on the conversion & PP on it.

Not crazy about any of your titles though. There's a better title in your head somewhere. Keep rummaging. Idea: "Bud".
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    number 2, the entire body is your best overall and compositionally, getting down on his level gives the shot more impact... I love the hand protecting the beer can... The only thing that is lacking is the title... I think a title that reflects the sin of slothfullness (one of the 7) would fit this very well. There isn't anything in the first shot that really tels a clear story or gives the shot focus... in the second shot the hands are very expresive and lead the eye to other parts of the shot

Winston
    edited September 9, 2007
    Winston is SO wrong!

Just kidding. His points are very well taken. But let me defend my favorite: the bottle is a telling detail, but it's still there. What I think makes it the best shot overall is that it is so close up. It's TOO intimate. It's invasive. That makes it original and disorienting, even uncomfortable to look at. And that says something fresh and challenging. By the same token, what I don't like about the high color version is that the brilliant colors play against this effect rather than enforce it.
    edited September 9, 2007
    Wow, I am so amazed at all the awesome input, and degree of opinions. It's great!! All the CC is very diverse and at the same time I can see all the different POV's from everyone! Now perhaps we get some sort of inclination of what the judges may go thru, especially if they "discuss" their choices amongst themselves..Laughing.gifLaughing.gif

I really like the title "Bud"..Laughing.gif, will look in the thesaurus for other words that relate to "slothfulness" Gary, I have to agree I do like #1 in b/w, the man is so "tanned" not only do his clothes match, but his skin tone matches the brick wall almost...Tan and Weather Worn...Laughing.gif

As you can see this is what happens to me, when I take a photo, that I haven't thought about a title first..Laughing.gif. Usually a title, comes into my minds eye, and then I go from there, for these photos, I had no title first, just a moment that I happened upon, which as you can see makes it very difficult for me..

I am going to try some things with the two of these photos and see what I come up with inputting all your ideas and critique...

Will update later...I'm gonna need lots of "luck" doing this...

Thank You VERY much everyone for such wonderful input, I also saw the boards so slow and read some of the photographers were having a "block" so I posted these photos to help get the flow going..Sin and Virtue is such a diverse, but at the same time, a very complex theme..Hope I helped

Alright Ramblin AGAIN..Sorry..so I'm off to Play and PP