Options

Lightroom BASIC stuff

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited September 10, 2007 in Finishing School
OK, I searched all over DGrin, watched all the tutorials on Adobe's website, and I'm still stumped. I know this question is so frigging basic I should be embarassed to ask it, and that it's probably been flogged to death, but here goes.

How do I "save as" in Lightroom. I mean the whole image. Not just the "instructions. I like the simplicity of the organizer in PSE4, in that I can save several versions of an image in a "version set" and there's actually a file I can reach out and touch, or copy to a thumb drive, or a CF card, or upload to Smugmug, or e-mail to a lab, or share. I'm damned if I can figure out what to do with "snapshots" in Lightroom.

Told you it was basic:bash
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Its known as 'export' in Lightroom. You simply export it with the settings you want. You can create virutal copies of an image, that is, an image with different settings, and export each, creating a separate photo from each virtual image 'recipe' if you like.

Btw, to get the exported images back in your lightroom catalog, try the new 'synchronize folders' feature.
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Export

You can export the same image over and over again at different resolutions or crops or what ever. Also you can "create virtual copies" and work on several versions of the same file inside LR. This is handy if you are doing color and BW versions of the same image. You can then select both copies and export these as two individual files.

HTH! thumb.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Mille grazie
    Thank yuh, thank yuh verr much . . .
    Now to figure out how to make it easy, what with all the freaking choices. I know . . . there's probably the ability to perform a group "macro" with "John's Custom Presets" or some such. Those things scare me to death. I'm always afraid I'm going to send my whole system into a fatal spin, but I guess I gotta get over that paranoia yelrotflmao.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2007
    It's really almost impossible to fatally wound your images in LR. Everything you do is attached to a sidecar file (.xmp). Instead of altering the pixels in your images, LR views your original unadulterated file and then creates a PRE-view for you based on what's in the xmp file. It's like clicking the preview button on and off in Pshop. You haven't altered anything yet, but you can see what it will look like before you alter things (via export).

The reset button is always available to put things back together again.

Regarding presets;

I highly recomend making yourself some presets for your normal shooting style. They are super time savers and you can scroll through presets without hurting your image one bit!
  • Options
    crj330crj330 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    I thought that I would enter my question here since it has to do with "Lightroom Basic Stuff" as well. The previous posts helped me out a little more with saving images and working with virtual copies. My question is to do with cropping. I put in a custom cropping of 8x12 and 12x18. I do my crop with either of these settings, make some adjustments and then export. When my images come up in Photoshop, they are always smaller.......for 8x12 they end up being 5.317 x7.979 and for 12x18 they end up being 7.092x10.638. Why is this happening? Thanks for your help!ne_nau.gifivar
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2007
    The crop size tool is for aspect ratios. That is an 8x12 ratio, not 8 inches by 12 inches. The crop tool then cuts out a portion of the original image that is in that particular aspect ratio. It will not resize the image after cropping to be an 8 inch by 12 inch or whatever size.

If you need an image that is 8in x 12in you can do it when you export. Check the "constrain image size" box in the export dialog, then enter the size you want your image to be. It helps if you have already cropped the image to your prefered aspect ratio first, otherwise the constrain image size will do some funky things like squeezing one dimension to make it fit...

HTH!