LPS 12 - Virtue

BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
edited September 9, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
San Felipe de Neri - Old Spanish Church
Virgen de Guadalupe – Virgin Mary carving

My immediate thoughts on seeing the LPS 12 title were some unique aspects of Virtue found in New Mexico’s tripartite culture – Native American, Spanish, and Anglos. In particular, the Spanish Christian influence is both unique and established, although different from other art forms.

As an example, we have a 300 year old church, San Felipe de Neri, located on the north side of Old Town Plaza, Albuquerque. International visitors enjoy its ambience ~ with 300 years of sermons from the pulpit, Virtue was and is a strong force.

Three Crows
193488160-M.jpg

Not as well known is a small carving in a big cottonwood sort of hidden behind San Felipe. Santa Maria, Virgen de Guadalupe, came as a vision in December, 1531, on the Winter Solstice, near Mexico City. Santa Maria is meant to depict the Virgin Mary…

Santa Maria told Juan Diego to build an abbey on the hill. When the prelate asked for a sign, Santa Maria said, “Give him flowers in December…” Juan Diego brought Spanish roses in a long cloak; falling from the cloak, Virgen de Guadalupe appeared imprinted on the cloth.
Pope John Paul II declared her "Patroness of the Americas" in Mexico City in 1999.

A Virgen de Guadalupe has been carved in the cottonwood as a symbol of love and respect.

Virgen de Guadalupe

193488183-M.jpg

C&C welcome...
Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
[/FONT]

What are Your Favs 3 votes

Three Crows
66% 2 votes
Virgen de Guadalupe
33% 1 vote

Comments

• sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Hi Joe,

Yes, I too have heard of the story of the Virgin of Guadeloupe - even got to see the shroud in Mexico City...

Coming to the photos - they're both nice pics. with lovely tones, but neither one really screams 'virtue' to me - sorry! ne_nau.gif

Hope this helps,
    Sunita
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    Hi Joe,

Yes, I too have heard of the story of the Virgin of Guadeloupe - even got to see the shroud in Mexico City...

Coming to the photos - they're both nice pics. with lovely tones, but neither one really screams 'virtue' to me - sorry! ne_nau.gif

Hope this helps,
    Sunita

Here I go again agreeing with Sunita. Dang, Sunita! I must be riding some of your brain waves... mwink.gif

They're beautiful shots, but they aren't illustrating a sin or a virture to me. I'm getting more of a sense of artistry from the shots - illustrating people's creativity and devotion.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com