My son, the Marine

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,093 moderator
edited September 12, 2007 in People
My son Sam graduated from Marine Boot Camp, in San Diego, on August 31, 2007. He flew back to Wisconsin, where he was to attend college, had one day of classes, and then received orders that he was being activated.

He will head back to California for more training and then he is to be deployed with his Unit early next year.

This is just after church, yesterday, September 9. He is flanked by his sisters.

Prayers for his safety are certainly welcome.

Thanks,
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Congratulations, Ziggy!
    You must be proud of such a son!
    Its a pity I saw not that much photos of your daughters!
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:

Prayers for his safety are certainly welcome.

and thanks for his courage.
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    Nice looking family Ziggy. Tell Sam congratulations. Did you attend his graduation? I graduated from Parris Island in 1966 and spent 26 years in the Marines. I loved it. I traveled to places and met people that I never would have if I hadn't joined the Marines. (I was with Henry Kissinger for ten days in Alcapulco, Mexico..really tough duty!) Tell him to enjoy the good days and let the bad go by. I will definately keep him and all our military in my prayers. Let us know how he is progressing. He definately looks sharp in those Dress Blues!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,093 moderator
    Congratulations, Ziggy!
    You must be proud of such a son!
    Its a pity I saw not that much photos of your daughters!
    Spasibo,
    Yuri

Thanks Yuri! I am awfully proud of all my children.

It's a good thing my daughters don't get their looks from me. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    digismile wrote:
    and thanks for his courage.

Thanks Brad. I will relay your comment.
    ziggy53
    JESTER wrote:
    Nice looking family Ziggy. Tell Sam congratulations. Did you attend his graduation? I graduated from Parris Island in 1966 and spent 26 years in the Marines. I loved it. I traveled to places and met people that I never would have if I hadn't joined the Marines. (I was with Henry Kissinger for ten days in Alcapulco, Mexico for 10 days..really tough duty!) Tell him to enjoy the good days and let the bad go by. I will definately keep him and all our military in my prayers. Let us know how he is progressing. He definately looks sharp in those Dress Blues!

Thanks Jester!

I was not able to make it to his graduation. The distance plus a previous committment to photograph a wedding (made months before I knew Sam's schedule) made it impossible.

His mother, my ex-wife, did take some photos at the graduation and she said she would share them with me, but I haven't seen them yet.

I will pass along your comments. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    Congratulations Zig and all best wishes that he and all our uniformed men and women return home safely and very, very soon.
    Angelo wrote:
    Congratulations Zig and all best wishes that he and all our uniformed men and women return home safely and very, very soon.

Thanks Angelo. I will give him your thoughts and I have those same wishes.
    ziggy53
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Semper Fi
    I'm a retired Navy Commander, but if I were 20 again and deciding whether to go USN or USMC, I'd go USMC. Those guys are the real deal.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    I have just two comments to make:

First - Thank you,Sam, for your dedication to duty and courage to carry it through. You are to be commended. Please know that your sacrifices are very much appreciated in many quarters of the American population.wings.gif Further, please know that you are in our prayers (now that we finally know about you!).

Second - The military works in very weird ways. As many here may remember, my son, Matthew, graduated from The College of William & Mary with a 2LT commission (reserve) in the Army. He was ordered to attend additional training. He went. He came back home with orders that he was assigned to a unit. He tried to contact that unit only to find out that it no longer existed. All phone calls since then and over the course of many months have either not been returned or were non-helpful. All this time, since returning from the above training, he has been receiving like clock-work Leave and Earning Statements (pay stubs for civilian folk) mailed to his correct and current address.

Last week, Matthew received a phone call from a Sgt somewhere. It turns out that he had fallen through the cracks and the only reason they found him was that during a routine audit it was discovered that the Army didn't have current PT test scores on record. It's so bad, they asked him to fax to them a copy of the last orders he had received.

With the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, this sort of SNAFU kinda makes one wonder. headscratch.gif
    Icebear wrote:
    I'm a retired Navy Commander, but if I were 20 again and deciding whether to go USN or USMC, I'd go USMC. Those guys are the real deal.

Thanks Icebear. I'll tell him you said he made the right choice. clap.gif
    ziggy53

First - Thank you,Sam, for your dedication to duty and courage to carry it through. ...

Last week, Matthew received a phone call from a Sgt somewhere. It turns out that he had fallen through the cracks and the only reason they found him was that during a routine audit it was discovered that the Army didn't have current PT test scores on record. It's so bad, they asked him to fax to them a copy of the last orders he had received.

With the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, this sort of SNAFU kinda makes one wonder. headscratch.gif

Wow, that's quite a saga. I will keep Mathew in my prayers as well. Wish him well for me.

Best,
    ziggy53
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    Semper Fi
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    What a handsome fella your son is. I would be deathly paranoid about my son getting into Marines. I think it's mothers fear, especially if he's getting activated and to being delployed. Hope he'll be in a good spot. Great shot! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    Semper Fi

Thanks, I'll tell him.
    ziggy53
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    I pray that he stays safe-

God bless him and please thank him from me for serving our country-
    ShepsMom wrote:
    What a handsome fella your son is. I would be deathly paranoid about my son getting into Marines. I think it's mothers fear, especially if he's getting activated and to being delployed. Hope he'll be in a good spot. Great shot! thumb.gif

Thanks Marina. I got maybe 2 1/2 hours sleep the night after I found out. There is always something to worry about with our (that is a collective "our") kids, but these are troubling times for our military.
    ziggy53
    gefillmore wrote:
    I pray that he stays safe-

God bless him and please thank him from me for serving our country-

Thanks George. I'll let him know.
    ziggy53
    edited September 11, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:

Marina, you sound like a true mother. I remember when I joined the Marines at 17. My mother wasn't too happy but said it was my life and I had to live it the way I wanted to. She just put me in God's hands she said. I told her it was either that or being a policeman. Later she told me she was glad I joined the Marines....at least I knew who was shooting at me.:D I went straight to Vietnam after boot camp. I was barely 18. We all worry about our kids, no matter where they are or what they are doing. We all wish Sam the best.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    Another Semper Fi !!!
    From another fellow Marine, tell him thanks for serving, and that another one will be thinking of he and your family in the coming years...

I hope you've already noticed how it has changed his life for the better!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    Angelo wrote:
    +1
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ob_3ob_3 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    God bless him !
    -say cheese !

Nikon d200w/ grip, 18-70 Nikkor , 85mm 1.8 , 50mm 1.8, tokina 12-24
    Nikon n80 w/grip, 28-200 Tamron
    Fuji z6900
    old school Olympus OMG-1
    Sony DSC-H3 point and shoot
    HoofClix wrote:
    From another fellow Marine, tell him thanks for serving, and that another one will be thinking of he and your family in the coming years...

I hope you've already noticed how it has changed his life for the better!

Thanks Mark, I'll tell him.

Yes, he is more resilient now. Fortunately, we did a lot together in the Boy Scouts and I really believe that helped especially with field exercises. He was also in football and physically prepared.
    ziggy53
    ian408 wrote:
    +1

Thanks Ian, I appreciate your concern.
    ziggy53
    ob_3 wrote:
    God bless him !

Thanks ob_3. Hopefully He will.
    ziggy53
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    It takes very special people to be in the military. Please tell him thank you for me.thumb.gif
    Seneca wrote:
    It takes very special people to be in the military. Please tell him thank you for me.thumb.gif

I will do that. Thanks Seneca.
    ziggy53
    edited September 12, 2007
    Ziggy, do you know what his MOS is? (Military Occupational Speciality).