Water blotches on image

lightingsystemlightingsystem Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited September 11, 2007 in Cameras
Hello, a while back I brought my camera in to a local store to have the sensor cleaned. It was quite a fiasco and in the end not only did it come back to me equally dirty, but it also acquired some splotches on the sensor that can only be seen on the files themselves (not on the sensor). Sorry that I don't have any picks to post, but has anyone encountered a similar phenomena. If so, how have you remedied it. Thank you.

Jeremy

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 10, 2007
    We really need to see some image examples along with EXIF information to fully understand what you are referring to. Your description could be any of a number of things.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif with Ziggy - pictures would help a lot.

In the absence of pictures and if I were a betting man (I'm not BTW), I would say they used a liquid method to clean the sensor (which is the way I do it as well) and they didn't check their results before the released the camera back to you.

I have found that you have to be very conservative when applying the liquid to the swab - a little goes a long ways and if you use too much, you have to start over with a new swab etc.

So, that's my vote - FWIW.

BTW - You can find lots of threads here that discuss the cleaning of the sensor. They do a good job of greatly reducing the fear factor. Here's a good one to look at (linkie)

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and $$ taking the camera to a camera store to get the sensor cleaned. Do it yourself and KNOW that it's been cleaned properly - you'll do a much better job as you care about the result.
  • lightingsystemlightingsystem Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    Example
    Ziggy and Scott, thank you both for your replies. I'm attaching an example. It appears on top, just to the left of the middle of the frame.

Scott, I completely agree with you and had been cleaning the sensor myself over the years, but I seem to recall I wasn't able to get anything to come off last time I cleaned it... it was like the eclipse fluid & the sensor clean fluid had both gone bad or something...headscratch.gif

Jeremy
  • lightingsystemlightingsystem Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    I just broke out the bottle of Sensor Clean and the swabs, cleaned the sensor twice and the blotches have disappearedclap.gif

I have no idea why this wasn't the case earlierheadscratch.gif , nevertheless I am thrilled. Thanks for the suggestion.

J
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    Jeremy,

Scott's pretty good at guessing, isn't he?

Thanks Scott. thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Jeremy,

Scott's pretty good at guessing, isn't he?

Thanks Scott. thumb.gifthumb
    It's a combination of two things

- Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good
    - I've been there done that every time I clean my sensor(s).

No huge mystery.
    Ziggy and Scott, thank you both for your replies. I'm attaching an example. It appears on top, just to the left of the middle of the frame.

Scott, I completely agree with you and had been cleaning the sensor myself over the years, but I seem to recall I wasn't able to get anything to come off last time I cleaned it... it was like the eclipse fluid & the sensor clean fluid had both gone bad or something...headscratch.gif

Jeremy
    Don't know what "sensor clean fluid" is, but I do know that the eclipse fluid can't "go bad" as it is nearly 100% methanol. It might evaporate, leaving virtually nothing behind, but it CAN'T go bad. It could be that you had something really sticky attached to your sensor and you were, rightfully so, very careful and thus unable to scrub it off? I don't know - I'm going quit while I'm ahead and put my crystal ball away for a while.