Options

Death Valley, Hwy 190 closure, planning help needed

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in The Big Picture
I am flying to Las Vegas on Saturday to spend the week in Vegas at a convention. I have from Saturday morning to Monday afternoon to see a few sites. I was in LV last Feb so I have seen Hoover Dam and the Valley of Fire. I am looking at heading to Death Valley since I have never been there. Checking the NPS website, I found this
California Highway 190 between Furnace Creek and Death Valley Junction remains closed due to severe flood damage, but the rest of this scenic highway is open.

How much will this take away from a trip to DV? I only have a short time, mostly all of Sunday, with this road closed what should I see? I will be traveling with two other photographers, so photographic areas will top our list. I would also like to see Badwater Basin, just to go to the lowest point in the US. We will be traveling in a Ford Explorer if there are any easy dirt roads to take, if there are good sites down there, not sure if it will be 4wd, would be helpful too.

I am looking for route recommendations to avoid the road closure. I am assuming Furnace Creek will still be passable to the north and south.

The plan will probably be to go to Red Rock Canyon on Saturday, then drive to Beatty, NV or Shoshone, CA to be close to the park on Sunday AM. Which route would be the best to take and start from the north or south, or to stay in the park, near Furnace Creek. The others I am traveling with do not want to camp, so any good lodging and dining options would be great from either of these three locations. Lodging near photographic areas would be a plus.

Thanks, Patrick

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    I am looking for route recommendations to avoid the road closure. I am assuming Furnace Creek will still be passable to the north and south.

I was in DV two weeks ago. Was a lot of fun. Stayed in Stovepipe Wells, but frequented the Furnace Creek area, as well as Badwater. The road closings are not going to be an issue for you. There is plenty good to see, especially for a short trip.

If you go, I highly recommend a dinner in Furnace Creek. They have an upscale hotel there with an incredible restaraunt. Get a reservation, and there is a dress code. Business casual. You'll want a shirt with a collar. Nice blue jeans are fine, but nothing ratty. Hotel guests get preference for seating, hence the reservations. Its not cheap food, but was really good. There is also a cafe in Furnace Creek that is much more relaxed, much less expensive, and rather good.

Plan a sunrise at Badwater or the Dunes. And the wildflowers might still be in bloom for you.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu