A neighborhood kid.

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited September 11, 2007 in People
I took a few shots of a neighborhood kid at the studio.
I got about 250 shots in a half an hour. At that time, the kid wanted no more of it.
At 14 months, I'm amazed he lasted that long.

Two lights with umbrellas were used, one on either side of him.
The one on the left was about 5 feet high, the right one was about 3 feet high. A rough guess, I'd say the lights were about 10 degrees in front of him.
His folks were pleased with what we got, but I'm sure I could have done a little better. We had a couple of other props, but just never really got to them.
I'm real new to this studio shooting thing, so if you have any advice, I'll take it.

On with the shots.
They were taken with a Canon 30D with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens.
Most shots were taken wide open to help blur the background.
For the most part, this worked OK.

This one the color is still off a little.
His Grampa made the honkey (half horse, half donkey) for him.
193122739-L.jpg

193122757-L.jpg

193122792-L.jpg

193122804-L.jpg

193122820-L.jpg

193122832-L.jpg

193122856-L.jpg

193122766-L.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    These are pretty good!! I think the very first one is my favorite. Great job! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    I think you did a pretty good job there. I really like the fact that you worked from many different perspectives. That's a hard one for some people (me!) to keep in mind. My fave is #4 (child on black chair, looking over his shoulder at camera).

Thoughts on lighting: The only thing I can think of is a different placement for the lights. Maybe have your main light 45 degrees from camera (either side) and a fill right behind the camera with something like 1.5 or 2 stop difference in the lights.

Might also try a bit of cross lighting, just to get some atmosphere. Might not work so well with a young one, but with older subjects (especially guys) it will add an added measure of drama to the photos.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Wow, Dave, a studio!!! How cool is that!

I like 2, 4,6 and 7 with 4 as my favorite.

I know nothing about lighting (thats why I always lurk in this forum) but think you have done really well.

If I were your client, I'd be pleased! (okay, so I am not helpful, but I am encouraging!)

ann
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Being picky
    Great work. Kids scare me, so you have my most profound admiration! OK . . . picky stuff. For me, the light's a bit too even right to left. I'd move one of the lights farther back, or turn it down a couple stops. With a child, you gotta take what they give you, so it really doesn't matter which side you have closer (stronger), the little bugger'll turn the other way anyhow.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    Thanks Marina.

Thanks Scott.
    I didn't get to move the lights around much, the kid just wouldn't let me have the time.
    After his Mom would put him somewhere near a prop, I got 5 or 6 quick shots off before he took off.
    If I ever get an older (5 or 6 year old) as a model, I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks Ann.
    No clients involved in this. It was more of a trade of services.
    She got a few, Ok, I'll say it, good pictures of the kid. I got to have a model to try out in the studio.

Icebear, kids can't scare you any more than they scare me.
    I use "always on" lights. So I'm guessing by turning it down a stop, I move the lights farther away.
    I see now that his white shirt was getting a little "hot" in some of the shots.
    I didn't notice any clipping when I viewed in on the camera, I may have brought it on during the post work.

Thanks again folks.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.