Which Country for a lens

RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited September 13, 2007 in Cameras
Heres the scoop Im going to be stationd in South Korea for a year and plan on going crazy with pictures. The thing is I want to replace my 75-300 with a 70-200L. Do I buy one while Im state side or do a wait to hit the markets there?

Woho I finaly got orders (sadly a 6 month wait)
Ryan
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 11, 2007
    Can't say for sure about Korea, but the thinking that stuff is cheaper if closer to the place its produced isn't always true. Prices on photo gear in Australia are outrageous. Almost twice the cost! I was just at a shop this weekend and the 70-200/4 IS was A$1900... that's US$1600!

Good luck, and post your results here if you find out by another means. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Prices on photo gear in Australia are outrageous. Almost twice the cost! I was just at a shop this weekend and the 70-200/4 IS was A$1900... that's US$1600!
    Ahhh...welcome again doc lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    Don't know about Korea but in Hong Kong the Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS USM is around HK$13000, that's about US$1670 which is about the same as the US (I believe).
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    From reading posts about pricing for a while it seems gear is cheaper overall in the US. I'd get the lens first, chances are better of saving a few bucks. The 70-200/2.8L IS pricing Martyn posted is about right for that lens--B&H has it for $1699 which is where it's been since I've been paying attention, and there are a few legitimate outfits that undercut that by a bit.
  • RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    Thanks guys good to know I will have to pick one up before I leave.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • brambo76brambo76 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    I just checked the price on 70-200 2.8 IS, b&H is 1700 plus shipping and in Korea it's 2037.. you get free repair if the thing malfunctions, etc.. but I don't think it's worth that much money.
    Papy wrote:
    Thanks guys good to know I will have to pick one up before I leave.

Ryan
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    brambo76 wrote:
    I just checked the price on 70-200 2.8 IS, b&H is 1700

1600 + shipping if you use the appropriate sale codes: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=USA&O=productlist&sku=513326
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.