The sense of slowness vs real slowness

zaldumzaldum Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited September 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
There is one little detail that i think would do much nicer the navigation in our galleries. It´s just a "loading image" text or something similar (a progress bar or whatever you like) when u are waiting for a new image to display.

I´ve been seeing too many galeries (not from smugmug) that are the same speed as smugmug in showing photos, but the sense of speed u get is quite faster, just because here in smug you stay the 1 or 2 secs between images with just a blank square.

If the previous image is manteined until the new one displays and also, u see something like "loading image", everything seems much faster even if it´s the same time waiting.

Maybe this is not relevant in US, but here in Europe it´s like 1 or 2 sec between photos (filmstrip - large size) and it makes navigating a bit frustrating sometimes.

Thx :D

Comments

• zaldumzaldum Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    When i´ve showed my gallery www.tajosdeluz.com to someone in my computer, i see that most people cliks on a new image and often clik again before it´s shown.

The blank square and no "loading photo" or similar makes people think the site is slower than it is, and is "ugly" to navigate.

Also a problem is, that if u clik on a photo and u clik again on it before it has displayed, many times the image wont display (u have to clik on another photo) and viewers will think that there is something wrong with the image that didn´t display.

Sorry for my english, hope u can understand what i mean. ne_nau.gifthumb
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Hi Zaldum,

Filmstrip doesn't pre-load the images like SmuMug Style (the default) does. SmugMug Style is the fastest of all of the styles, and does have a loading graphic (upper left)...
    I know Andy, and also love the smooth way thumbs display in smugmug style and the little window that opens where u can choose the size (dont know it´s name) BUT...

I really want my photos displayed in large size at first, i´ve been asking for smug style in large size by default for a looong time :cry, so my only option to have thumbs AND large size at the same time is filmstrip right now ne_nau.gif

I think large size in smugmug style with todays monitors is quite reasonable, but until we get it (if it ever happens) i´m stuck to filmstrip.

Maybe u could at least include the upper loading graphic also in filmstrip?? thumb.gif

Anyway, thank for listening, that is something where smugmug is unbeatable clap.gif
    I´ve also tried smugmug style and when i´ve let someone navigate my site in my computer they ussually don´t even notice that u can see each image bigger by cliking on it, or even if they realise they prefer seeing them in med size than cliking in every photo to see the large size. It´s a hassel for people going back again in every photo to see the thumbs again and they don´t do it more than 2 or 3 photos. then they continue to see them in med size headscratch.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Thx Andy, but that post begins in February, i thought it would take weeks or something :cry

Can u tell me if the idea includes smugmug style with large size pics????
    (even if it´s the same 600px vertical and even only 2 thumb collums it would be ok)

I´ve done plenty customizations that i couldn´t even imagine when i joined, but i couldn´t believe since day one, that i can´t see smug style in large size. ne_nau.gif

I really dont need much larger sizes (there is always the original size option), but using large size in the basic and principal style of this site seems like a must. That day my site will be what i wanted the day i joined smug.

thx 4 listenig anyway (as always) thumb.gif