Options

Print Help Please Print Help Please

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in Finishing School
Greetings all,

I have followed all the advice given to me regarding having things printed and the set up and such, but I am still not doing something right.

I have set the image size to be 8x10 but when I go to print, it still requires I crop?

I am very confused....

What am I missing...

I was trying to print through MPix.com as it was suggested and recommended to me.

Please help. I really need to get these printed very soon.

Thank You,

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Sorry Steven, I don't know MPix so I'm not sure of what you're trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to print from Photoshop? Are you printing to your desktop printer or is there some type of MPix virtual printer on your system and you're trying to print to that?

In either case, I think sometimes Photoshop doesn't fully understand the setup on various printers. I will sometimes generate a crop warning even though the printer is capable of generating the print without cropping. For instance my Epson has a "borderless" feature. I seem to remember that when I make borderless prints Photoshop warns me about the print being cropped when it actually isn't.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    I you use the "print with preview" feature in PS it shows what it is doing and that may help you determine why it is telling you it will crop the image.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    MPix is an online place that prints digital prints and sends them to me.

I did what was suggested to make my prints 250DPI and 8x10 prints. In Photoshop I look and find the image size to = 8x10.

I then save it as a JPG file and upload it to be printed. When I upload it, it tells me that the a lot of the image will be cropped.

Am I doing something wrong?

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    Please Help
    ok... i've asked for help on this a few times now, and haven't really found an answer yet.

Please help me if you can. I really want and need to get these images printed.

I have tried multiple ways of doing this.

The problem:

I upload the picture to an online printing service (mpix.com ~ i have tried others as well) and specify that I want to order an 8x10. When I go to preview it before confirming my order, it shows that most of my picture will be cropped off.

I have also tried sizing it in PS prior to the upload. I look at it on the Print with Preview and it looks perfect, but no matter what, it still wants to crop off most of my picture!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks in advance,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    ok... i've asked for help on this a few times now, and haven't really found an answer yet.

Please help me if you can. I really want and need to get these images printed.

I have tried multiple ways of doing this.

The problem:

I upload the picture to an online printing service (mpix.com ~ i have tried others as well) and specify that I want to order an 8x10. When I go to preview it before confirming my order, it shows that most of my picture will be cropped off.

I have also tried sizing it in PS prior to the upload. I look at it on the Print with Preview and it looks perfect, but no matter what, it still wants to crop off most of my picture!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks in advance,

Steven

What part of the photo are they going to crop off? Did you resize it to an 8x10 proportion? Most sensors today are 4x6, which will give you an 8x12 print so if you don't crop 2" off the long side (one or both ends) they will want to do it for you. If you have done this it should not be a problem, if they say it is take it to a different, maybe a local, printer. If you want the full image on an 8x10 piece of paper you will need to increase the canvas size on the narrow side to 8" and you will have a top, bottom or both borders with nothing, giving you about a 6.5 (or 7) x 10 print.

Do you have the files you are sending to them? Can you post it online so we can download it and look at it? Photoshop also has features within the print with preview window that will "fit to borders" or something. If that is checked it will fix it automatically.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    What part of the photo are they going to crop off? Did you resize it to an 8x10 proportion? Most sensors today are 4x6, which will give you an 8x12 print so if you don't crop 2" off the long side (one or both ends) they will want to do it for you. If you have done this it should not be a problem, if they say it is take it to a different, maybe a local, printer. If you want the full image on an 8x10 piece of paper you will need to increase the canvas size on the narrow side to 8" and you will have a top, bottom or both borders with nothing, giving you about a 6.5 (or 7) x 10 print.

Do you have the files you are sending to them? Can you post it online so we can download it and look at it? Photoshop also has features within the print with preview window that will "fit to borders" or something. If that is checked it will fix it automatically.
    I am not afraid to admit if i've made a stupid mistake. I just want to get these done!!!

I looked at the print with preview in PS and it looks perfect.

Ideas?

Files are below:
    http://www.wanderingthroughlife.com/stf/print/DSC02699_crop_8x10.jpg
    http://www.wanderingthroughlife.com/stf/print/DSC02641_bw_8x10.jpg
    http://www.wanderingthroughlife.com/stf/print/DSC02798_crop_4x10.jpg
    http://www.wanderingthroughlife.com/stf/print/DSC02800_crop_8x8.jpg

Thanks again,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    Now we are getting somewhere.

Your 8x10 crop is actually 8x10.632

Your 4x10 crop is 4.276x10, to get this to print either crop it down to 4x10 and expand your canvas to 8x10 and duplicate the image on the same piece of paper and align them so you get two prints, unless they offer a 4x10 print size.

Your BW 8x10 is actually 8x11.18

Your 8x8 is actually 8x8.388, here you can simply expand the canvas to 8x10 and trim the excess off, unless they offer and 8x8 print size.

To fix the little extra on the other prints you can either set the crop tool to 8x10 @250 dpi and fill one side and crop the other as needed, or if you want the whole image use image size to get the long edge to be correct, then expand your canvas to make the other dimension correct and you will get a border depending on how you place or move the image, you can trim this later or leave it white, black or whatever color you make it.

I hope this helps, so the lab seems correct that you are off at the moment, some labs will take your 8x10's as they are and they will automatically crop them to what they need, at least this lab is telling you what will happen instead of giving you prints you will not like.
  • Options
    dawsondawson Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Just looked at the first one above
    I just looked at the first image that you listed above and it is 2658 pixels by 2000 pixels some of your image will be lost if printed as an 8x10.

The easiest way that I crop for a particular print size is:
    1. open in photoshop
    2. select retangular marquee tool
    3. in style box select "FIXED ASPECT RATIO"
    4. enter in the desired height width values in the textboxes-- in your case 8 and then 10.
    5. make the desired retangular selection in your image
    6. then select crop from image menu

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Now we are getting somewhere.

Your 8x10 crop is actually 8x10.632

Your 4x10 crop is 4.276x10, to get this to print either crop it down to 4x10 and expand your canvas to 8x10 and duplicate the image on the same piece of paper and align them so you get two prints, unless they offer a 4x10 print size.

Your BW 8x10 is actually 8x11.18

Your 8x8 is actually 8x8.388, here you can simply expand the canvas to 8x10 and trim the excess off, unless they offer and 8x8 print size.

To fix the little extra on the other prints you can either set the crop tool to 8x10 @250 dpi and fill one side and crop the other as needed, or if you want the whole image use image size to get the long edge to be correct, then expand your canvas to make the other dimension correct and you will get a border depending on how you place or move the image, you can trim this later or leave it white, black or whatever color you make it.

I hope this helps, so the lab seems correct that you are off at the moment, some labs will take your 8x10's as they are and they will automatically crop them to what they need, at least this lab is telling you what will happen instead of giving you prints you will not like.
    I will have to try this when i get home. Thank you for looking at this for me. I really hope this solves the issue. I am trying to get my portfolio together and really need these prints ASAP.

Thanks again, you are more help than you will ever know.

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I will have to try this when i get home. Thank you for looking at this for me. I really hope this solves the issue. I am trying to get my portfolio together and really need these prints ASAP.

Thanks again, you are more help than you will ever know.

Steven

Just confirm your setting in PS via the image size window and make sure you are only sending them 8x10/250dpi and you should be fine.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Just confirm your setting in PS via the image size window and make sure you are only sending them 8x10/250dpi and you should be fine.
    Will post update tonight when I get home.

Thanks
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Patch,

You totally rock!!! Thank you so much for your help. I have been trying to get guidance on this for a month now. Thank you.

My prints have now been ordered. I can hardly wait to see how they turn out

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Patch,

You totally rock!!! Thank you so much for your help. I have been trying to get guidance on this for a month now. Thank you.

My prints have now been ordered. I can hardly wait to see how they turn out

Steven

Cool, hope it works out, sorry we did not figure out what was wrong before.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    I also merged your old thread with this one and left them in the BP forum. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I also merged your old thread with this one and left them in the BP forum. thumb.gif
    I was wondering why things looked a little weird...

thanks again,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I was wondering why things looked a little weird...

thanks again,

Steven

very cool thread. thanks for pitching in, patch!