Black and White Portraits

mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited September 12, 2007 in People
Hi everyone, new to dgrin and only been into photography for a few months and loving it. The wealth of knowledge here is immense, I've spent the last couple weeks just reading through the forums.

Anyway, I would like to post some of what I've been doing. Any critique and criticism is much appreciated.

Thanks

1227062120_1b5432bb5b.jpg

1115044004_6c4f3202f5.jpg

1267093857_0c963c19de.jpg

1286489274_cc9a7d40a9.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Welcome to D mpaulie! Glad you joined the madness rolleyes1.gifI like 3rd shot the best of this set. Keep posting!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    I like 3 and 4 the best.
    The pictures seem a little flat. Contrast would help.
    Picture 2 is cropped a little tight ....I think head and shoulders would be more pleasing.

look forward to see your next post.....AZZARO
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Welcome to the fray! I'm sure you'll enjoy it almost as much as I do.

Some thoughts:
    1 - Just a little fill light on the shadow side would have made this so much more interesting. Need just enough to bring out some texture or contour of the face.

2 - The crop on this one is just a touch tight. Also, the light is just the opposite of the first. Here you don't have enough shadow - something that is commonly referred to as "flat lighting."

3 - This is soo cute! Love the capture. All that's left to do is to apply a little curve adjustment to increase contrast a touch.

4 - Excellent focus and very good light. This is very much a candid. Were it posed, I might suggest that the pressure of the finger on her cheek be reduced or remove the finger from in front of the face completely.
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    Thank you all so much for the replies, I'm taking notes! Great advice all around. I may have to pick your brains on bringing the contrast out in the photos.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    mpaulie wrote:
    Thank you all so much for the replies, I'm taking notes! Great advice all around. I may have to pick your brains on bringing the contrast out in the photos.
    A good place to start is the DGrin Tutorials (see the top of the page)

See the tutorials section here: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284

Curves and Contrast Tute: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2292454/1
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here and learn alot. I happen to like tight head shots, sometimes they work really well and sometimes they don't. I think so far you are very observant and doing well at capturing candid shots. I like #1 a lot even though it might be a bit dark and could use some 'pop'. I can see the beginning of a smile on her face and it makes me wonder what she might be so happy about. You might want to straighten the photo a bit so the leaning window frame doesn't distract from her expression. The rest look good on my monitor. thumb.gif