LPS12 Entry Feedback...

i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
edited September 13, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
We have this wonderful bell tower here on campus I've been shooting today. I'm going out tonight to get a few more while it's lit up (however the street lights around it may be a challenge...). C&C MOST WELCOME!

As always, you're free to shop-post-delete, but please don't keep or distribute.

~Matt

LPS1.jpg
I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
~Herbert Keppler

Comments

• BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    I like the shot...the sky is very pretty and the colors pop...but just a nit pick - one thing that bothers me is the barrel distortion (?) from your lens makes the tower look like it's bent... which is fine if that was the intent, but i find it rather distracting... maybe, if possible, reshoot stepped back a bit from the tower, and use a longer focal length? Some lenses have less distortion in the middle of the zoom range?... just MHO!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    Briggie wrote:
    I like the shot...the sky is very pretty and the colors pop...but just a nit pick - one thing that bothers me is the barrel distortion (?) from your lens makes the tower look like it's bent... which is fine if that was the intent, but i find it rather distracting... maybe, if possible, reshoot stepped back a bit from the tower, and use a longer focal length? Some lenses have less distortion in the middle of the zoom range?... just MHO!

i noticed that too.... but i wasn't sure if it was some kind of aberation or just an optical illusion. Unfortunately I'm standing against a tree and the other side of the tree would be... well... pointless. Guess I'll just have to be more creative. Dig a big hole or something...

Thanks!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    Or you could transform it in photoshop.

This was a quick fix, I'm sure with a little time you could make it look good.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    How bout at night? Does that help?ne_nau.gif
    LPS12night.jpg

~Herbert Keppler
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    The barreling is better, but its really not the same shot! If you're gonna do night stuff, what about a time exposure on that? with a tripod, no flash, just the light surrounding the tower and the light on the crucifix, and see what comes out. But i personally preferred the angle you had on the day shot, barreling not withstanding! and if you can correct that in post, then i feel that would make a more interesting shot than the current night post you have...

Keep at 'er!!
    Brige
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    Briggie wrote:
    The barreling is better, but its really not the same shot! If you're gonna do night stuff, what about a time exposure on that? with a tripod, no flash, just the light surrounding the tower and the light on the crucifix, and see what comes out. But i personally preferred the angle you had on the day shot, barreling not withstanding! and if you can correct that in post, then i feel that would make a more interesting shot than the current night post you have...

Keep at 'er!!
    Brige

A night shot is the only one that will work here. I didn't even notice the cross in the first shot, and without that element the photo makes no sense as far a sin or virtue goes. I agree that a tripod mounted night shot is the way to go. Is it possible to get stars in this shot? Also, the tower is too centered.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
    edited September 12, 2007
    The problem is...
    The problem is that the tower is not lit, only the cross on the top. Other lighting, bleeding over from local street lights causes the bottom half of the photo to get exposed really quickly (at a nice tan color, too) while the top gets nothing but the cross.....

Thanks for the comments, I'll work on it...

(as for stars, it was cloudy last night)

~Herbert Keppler
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    Have you thought about doing an HDR (High Dynamic Range) shot? There is a program called photomatix that will do it for you. You set the camera up and take multiple exposures from the same position (you must have a tripod for this). Take 3 shots, one properly exposed for the bright areas, one for the mid-range, and one for the dark areas. Then merge the images, then you don't lose detail. If you shoot in RAW you can sort of do this with one image by setting the exposure value to low, medium, and high and rendering images from each setting, then combining them. That would probably be cool for this shot.

Also, putting the camera on a tripod will allow you to set a lower ISO. As it is, that shot is pretty noisy. Concept is good though, you have something here I think.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
    Thanks for the information... I've got to cover a dance competition (woo lighting!) and a pool demonstration (woo lighting #2) and then i can actually go take some pictures for me (it has become like a drug, and I am definitely addicted.)

I was using one of the school cameras last night, and yea, the ISO was getting out of control...

The tripod and my D70 (who I'm a little better with) and some better glass (hopefully to ditch that abberation) are headed out after all the crap tonight is done... praying for some stars to add a little something to this shot...

Thanks again for all the help - best forum on the net.

~Matt

~Herbert Keppler
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    How about....
    Thanks for the information... I've got to cover a dance competition (woo lighting!) and a pool demonstration (woo lighting #2) and then i can actually go take some pictures for me (it has become like a drug, and I am definitely addicted.)

I was using one of the school cameras last night, and yea, the ISO was getting out of control...

The tripod and my D70 (who I'm a little better with) and some better glass (hopefully to ditch that abberation) are headed out after all the crap tonight is done... praying for some stars to add a little something to this shot...

Thanks again for all the help - best forum on the net.

~Matt

A long exposure at night, no flash, and "paint" the tower with a flashlight...

Could be cool...

Jon