Options

Digital backgrounds???

jackedwardsjackedwards Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited December 29, 2009 in Finishing School
Howdy Yall, I’m Jack and I just found this forum. Been shooting for about 12 years now and i took a bit of a hiatus shall we say from photography for about 3 years. But im back and jumping into it full swing got some new gear and I’m ready to go!!! Hopefully Ill have the website up within a few weeks, ill share that once it’s ready.

So i have my 1st question for everyone. Ill be shooting business headshots here and there not too many but a few. I was looking into digital backgrounds, you know muslins that are shot with standard lighting for headshots then prepped as PSD or Tiff file. I don’t want to fork over the cash for multiple backdrops ill rarely use so i thought hey it’s possible to get one green screen and Photoshop the muslin i want in there. I’ve seen some really cheesy backdrop CDs on eBay nothing i really want to use though. Quality is ultimately the bottom line, i will not offer my clients something that looks like it was photoshoped it must look REAL.

So has anyone done this? found a good manufacturer of the files? Also if anyone has examples that would be great too? Also some other creative ideas for headshots would be apperciated, the standard stuff is so boring... Thanks for your help! I look forward to being active in this forum and meeting fellow photographers.

Cheers
Jack :D

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Take a look at this company. I'm sure they will have something that will work for you. They also offer some discounts to NAPP members.

regards,
  • Options
    zonaphotoszonaphotos Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Any other suggestions?
    I am also looking into using digital backgrounds and I am asking the forum for tips and suggestions.

Is it worth the price & time? Do they look professional? How easy are they to use?
    digismile wrote:
    Take a look at this company. I'm sure they will have something that will work for you. They also offer some discounts to NAPP members.

regards,
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Take a look at http://www.tubetape.com . They specialize in greenscreen photography/video. They have everything you would need. I purchased the kit that they offer. It consists of: greenscreen, stand, DVD of some backdrops, and their program to swap out the backgrounds. The price was resonable. Only thing needed for this kit is the studio lights. I went on their forum and did some reading and found that most people that do greenscreen work use halogen work lights to light the greenscreen. As for digital backgrounds, if you have a friend that has one you like, light it the way you want it, and take a shot of it. You can always go to http://www.backgroundoutlet.com and rent the ones you like and take shots of them and then send them back. Just a few ideas to ponder.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    check out OWENS ORIGINALS......all kinds of backgrounds, green/blue screens .....even muslins
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Since this is about digital photo manipulation, I moved this over to the 'finishing school' thumb.gif
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I've done some background replacement digitally and found it works pretty well. I was thinking that the post was asking about digital projected backgrounds though, I guess there are really two types of digital backgrounds.

At WPPI I saw some projector systems that project digtal backgrounds onto a black backdrop. This gives the photographer much more options then the standard muslins in a nice tight package (comparatively). Sorry I don't have any links, but I'm sure you could search for it on the web and come up with something.
    ~ Lisa