DIY iMac RAM Upgrade

TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited September 15, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Well after 5+ years on an old PC, I've decided to go back to my Mac roots and buy one of the new iMacs. The fact that I only currently have enough power to run PSE 2.0 should be telling.

Here's my question - it seems a bit much to pay on the order of $800 to increase the RAM from 1 GB to 4 GB - is there any way to purchase the RAM after market, and then self install?

I used to work at a computer reseller, and understand the "voided warranty" aspect of doing certain things to Apple's products, and the form factor of the iMac seems intimidating to do any DIY work as well.

Any thoughts, or should I just bite the bullet?
Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    It's easy as pie. Two screws, pop out the old, pop in the new. I recommend crucial.com.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Sorry, ONE screw! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    Upgrading your RAM does not void your warranty, as Apple considers it a "user accessible" part. Crucial is pretty good, as DavidTO suggested. Ramjet is another good option. One thing about putting in that RAM is that it takes a little more force than you would expect to snap the new modules in, but it's not hard at all.
  • TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    Thanks for the info. I've checked your recommendation as well as the Apple support files (found the iMac user guide - makes me want it even more) and it does look relatively simple.

Thanks again!

Scott

Come visit me at...

• mrbill62mrbill62 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    I've had no problems with OWC ram or from DMS.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Trasmc wrote:
    Well after 5+ years on an old PC, I've decided to go back to my Mac roots and buy one of the new iMacs. The fact that I only currently have enough power to run PSE 2.0 should be telling.

Here's my question - it seems a bit much to pay on the order of $800 to increase the RAM from 1 GB to 4 GB - is there any way to purchase the RAM after market, and then self install?

I used to work at a computer reseller, and understand the "voided warranty" aspect of doing certain things to Apple's products, and the form factor of the iMac seems intimidating to do any DIY work as well.

Any thoughts, or should I just bite the bullet?

Does the "glossy screen only" of the iMac give you any pause with regard to photo editing? I will probably not purchase an iMac for that reason.... Otherwise it seems like a great computer.

It certainly has been a topic of some discussion by some shooters on the web.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    I've given it some thought - most of the reviews I've read had this as a concern as well, but after using the reviewers didn't notice considerable glare. I'll do a search here and in a few other forums to read the comments from dedicated shooters. Where I have my desk there isn't obvious sources of glare, but that's also from a standard 17" monitor.

Thanks for the concern - I appreciate it.

Scott

EDIT: After doing some more reading, I'm going to have to do some more reading. And some more hands on at the apple store before I make a decision. Thanks again for the heads up - it might change my decision.

Come visit me at...

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    Yeah, glare's not the issue, it's the extra saturation and contrast the glossy imparts. Buy a second monitor just for the photos and you're set.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    That is certainly cheaper than a new Power Mac and a new LCD.

Will the video card in an iMac support a 30 inch display or a 23 in display?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    That is certainly cheaper than a new Power Mac and a new LCD.

Will the video card in an iMac support a 30 inch display or a 23 in display?

From Apple's site:

Support for external display in extended desktop mode

* Digital resolutions up to 1920 by 1200
    * Analog resolutions up to 2048 by 1536

Does that rule-out the 30"?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    From Apple's site:

Support for external display in extended desktop mode

* Digital resolutions up to 1920 by 1200
    * Analog resolutions up to 2048 by 1536

Does that rule-out the 30"?

Yes. No 30" as external display for the iMac. You need a Mac Pro for that, as the video card has to push double-bandwidth DVI (I forget the fancy name ;-)
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    Joining the party late, but I too can recommend Crucial RAM, but buy it from Newegg, cheaper then from Crucial directly. ne_nau.gif

I bought 2 GB for my MacPro, and it really made a HUGE difference. 3GB RAM is by far the most RAM I have ever used, but now I can have CS3, Lightroom, Word, and Excel open all at the same time! Heck I even add FF and Mail too, and all is good!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix