sRGB color space not looking the same in SmugMug

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited September 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Picture hopefully sums it up.

THe shot on the right is the Smugmug shot.
The shot on the left is the Lightroom screen grab after I have edited it to taste. (I have reviewed the exported lightrrom file through three different viewers and they all look very close to identical. The only one that doesn't look the same is the image loaded through SM)

Specs:
running Vista w/ IE 7.0.6 (I don't want to install FF on this machine for various reasons)
Using Lightrom to process image
Export w/ a sRGB color profile
Preview of image (through three viewers and LR) and what shows on SmugMug site are two completely different things.

What gives?

I've gone through the SM wiki KB, followed the processes to a tee and everything says my images should be turning out spot on.

Any and all help is appreciated.

P.S. I was having issues w/ color management on another thread. Since then I have re-installed all my editing software and have a happy color management system using ALL sRGB (except for Lightroom which I can't change the working color space from ProPhoto).
So please don't think it's something involving that.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Hi, link me to the photo on SmugMug, please.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    Duh me.

Sorry for wasting your time Andy.

Here.
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Duh me.

Sorry for wasting your time Andy.

Here.

OK Now export that file from Lightroom to an sRGB jpg and email it to me at the help desk ATTN: Andy

Thanks! (and it's no waste of my time)!
    Done.
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Done.
    Yeah I gave you an alternate for the image thumb.gif
    ck your PM
    OK got your file. The file on SmugMug actually looks and measures great. The skin tones are right on target, IMO.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

LR's working color space is in fact Pro Photo - but when you export it, it's in sRGB.
    So what I hear you saying is that the image posted to my SM site is spot on and most likely it is IE7 that is doing a bad job interpreting color then? Gotcha on the LR color space. (mentioned that in the first post)

If that is the case. Is there anything I can do to change the settings on IE7 so it does a better job showing the true color? I know this is way out of your area, but any knowledge would be appreciated.

BTW my monitor is color calibrated.

-Jon
    SloYerRoll wrote:

BTW my monitor is color calibrated.

-Jon
    Forget that - it's nice - and I calibrate as well - but the real way to see is to use the eyedropper thumb.gif

http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone that's how I measured the skin tones thumb.gif
    K I answered part of my question.
    I opened up the image locally through IE7. It looked like crap.
    While this is good that I'm not doing something wrong. This is a concern for the few ppl that will be soon transitioning over to IE7.

I understand that SM can't do anything about how IE interperets color. Is there anything I can do to tell viewers to help this problem?

Thanks again Andy,
    -Jon