An Afternoon Romp in the Mountains

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited September 15, 2007 in Sports
Took off with my buddy Richard today and walked around in the mountains to try out my brand new 40D (:barb) and got a few shots to share. Wish you could all see these places yourselves, but for now I'll just do what I can to bring you there. :D

This is my first outing with a DSLR, so feel free to drop advice if any springs to mind!

We paused beside a small beaver dammed pond at the start of our wanderings. I spent a while trying to learn all those fancy new dials and buttons... I've got a loooong ways to go! :D
romp01.jpg

From there, we wandered up into a boulder field, into the millions of rocks time has piled for us, and traveled over, under, and through them, enjoying ourselves thoroughly. Here, Richard follows me up a huge boulder from the inside.
romp02.jpg

The top of the crack opens into smaller chunks of the same boulder. When this rock came off the mountain forever ago and landed here, it split into quite a few pieces, and yet stayed piled in a recognizable boulder shape, jutting out a good thirty feet above ground.
romp03.jpg

Richard enjoys a flowery bed of moss in the shade of Pinnacle Peak. We started hiking for a distant ridge, but figured at our pace we'd better aim closer and turned our sights on the Webfoot Prospect, a smaller, steep ridge that shoots off perpendicular to the road we drove up on.
romp05.jpg

In among these house-sized boulders are passageways and small caves you can work your way through. At this exit, we had traveled perhaps fifty or sixty feet down and at least that much horizontally, and found light gleaming in through this slot. There were easier exits higher up, of course, but where's the adventure in that? :D

Richard eyes me dubiously after watching me squeeze my way to open air.
romp06.jpg

He made it through too... in time. :rofl
romp07.jpg

Heading up the ridge, I paused for a quick portrait as I was getting a good distance ahead and had the time to fiddle with all my new settings. :D
romp09.jpg

We topped out on a ridge for this shot, then dropped off the other side and began a liesurely meandering route through piles of ancient relics from the mining days, down the mountain and back to the car.
romp10.jpg

The mines have gone to pieces some since the '30s. Outside the mostly caved-in entrance to this shaft there's a beast of a water pump that boggles the mind when you try to figure out how they got it there. :huh It's the size of a car, has metal wheels, and sits on a flattened spot in a literal mountain of boulders. Those guys had to be tough... Next to this unnatural contraption sits a bucket of nails, but with the wooden bucket long since rotted away and mere rust holding the nails together in their cylandrical pile. :scratch

We traveled a good distance into this mine shaft, and eventually turned back, instead of climbing over a large cave-in and exploring further into the mountain. The rotted timbers and numerous minor cave-ins to this point are not confidence inspiring! :rofl
romp11.jpg

Fall is here, the leaves are yellow, and winter is only two weeks away. Gotta get out and enjoy the snowless mountains all we can, before we're forced to strap boards to our feet, pile on more clothes, and enjoy the snow! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    Oops, just realized this post fits more in the nature forum than sports. We left the house intending to do some CLIMBING, so I posted with that mindset, even though we didn't get any pictures of us on the rocks. My bad, mods feel free to move this if you'd like! thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2007
    You are doing well. Pay attention to the pros here and elsewhere and you'll pick up the rest. thumb.gif
    Tim
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 14, 2007
    Looks like the 40d is working out well for you thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    I like how you documented your adventure. I must say that some of those situations would have had me completely claustrophobic!!! Nice Shots!