Found some awesome locations for senior pictures

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited September 12, 2007 in People
First senior pictures I have done and have only gotten through a few but wanted to see what you guys think. Of course there will be the close up of the face for the yearbook but for the collage page I wanted something really different and so did he. He is a musician that is very passionate about his music and playing. For several weeks I contacted people to see if there was a mural around town for a backdrop. At the last minute I found two at a head shop (yes...head shop) in town and they were perfect. Alice in Wonderland theme on one side and a tribute to Rock and Roll legends on the other. Also I wanted to find some railroad tracks for another idea that I had and we lucked up on finding those as well. The session went great.

Would like to see what you think of a few of the pictures that we took. The mom has already seen what I put up on my website and loved them. Really I guess that is what counts as she is the buyer. The easiest processing I have done yet. Took my time, used my grey card to set a custom white balance, shot in RAW, set black/white point and popped color a little. Any of you more experienced in this than I as far as senior shots go please feel free to offer some advice.

193984156-M.jpg

193893703-M.jpg

194153431-M.jpg

194062183-M.jpg

194165443-M-1.jpg

#6 (had to throw this one in)
194131058-M.jpg

Shane
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    I think these are great! In the first one, I wish that piece of straw or grass wasn't in front of his shirt and face, but it looks like you found great locations and colors and light to shoot in. I like how his guitar is incorporated into the shots. What time of day did you do these? I started to say I think my favorites are #s 2 &3, but then I realized I really like 4 & 5 too! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    i think #2 is fantastic! clap.gif i would be thrilled if it were a photo of me, and i'd be proud if i took such an awesome photo!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Very well done! They could easily have been promo shots for a cd or poster.
    I would think about cloning the grass that extends in front of his face in the first, but the others are so great that you can probably leave it.

ann
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    Great Shots!! light and saturation are spot on, IMHO!! Unique composition... client must be pretty happy!!

Here's a dumb question, but i'm gonna ask it anyway.... What exactly are "Senior Pictures"? We don't have such a phenomenon here in Canada...(at least not Quebec!) Would it be what we would call Graduation Pictures?

Cheers!
    Brige
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    Thanks all for the great comments. Going to try cloning the grass from in front of his face but I think I also have more shots similar to this that I may be able to choose from. I was so pleased with this session and how many good shots that came out of it.

Binghott...#2 is my favorite as well. Something about his smile in this one.

Brige. Graduation and Senior pictures I believe would be the same thing. Boy have they come a long way from when I was in high school.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    SitterS wrote:
    Thanks all for the great comments. Going to try cloning the grass from in front of his face but I think I also have more shots similar to this that I may be able to choose from. I was so pleased with this session and how many good shots that came out of it.

Binghott...#2 is my favorite as well. Something about his smile in this one.

Brige. Graduation and Senior pictures I believe would be the same thing. Boy have they come a long way from when I was in high school.

Shane

Probably why i didn't understand the concept either...my grad photos were taken in the gym at school, with my cap and gown on, in a VERY formal, stiff pose!! yep, times they are a changing!!! ;-)
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Wow Shane!!! These are just gorgeous. Very natural and wonderfully composed. He should be thrilled with these!!! I agree about cloning the grass out in the first one (on his face) but overall I really like the DOF effect in that shot. #4 is my favorite, but gosh, they are all so professional and commercial-looking.

You are so talented and it looks like you had fun with this one, too! He's a cutie! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    Awesome series!!!

Dumb Question.....is there room on those for 8x10 and 5x7 crops?
    urbanaries wrote:
    Wow Shane!!! These are just gorgeous. Very natural and wonderfully composed. He should be thrilled with these!!! I agree about cloning the grass out in the first one (on his face) but overall I really like the DOF effect in that shot. #4 is my favorite, but gosh, they are all so professional and commercial-looking.

You are so talented and it looks like you had fun with this one, too! He's a cutie! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks Lynne. I think he has that John Mayer look to him. We certainly had fun that day talking about our passions.

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Awesome series!!!

Dumb Question.....is there room on those for 8x10 and 5x7 crops?

There is. The pics posted are all cropped to 5x7. Learned the hard way to leave room in the shot for different crops.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    urbanaries wrote:

Lynne...sending you a PM as I have a question or two for you that I hope you don't mind answering.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    WOW! These are awesome photos! I LOVE #2... def a fav! I love the way seniors have photos "done' now... we didn't do this when I was in HS... everyone went to the same place for the yearbook photo, and everyone looked alike.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    SitterS wrote:
    There is. The pics posted are all cropped to 5x7. Learned the hard way to leave room in the shot for different crops.

Shane

These are super! #2 is my favorite as well. I have difficulty remembering not to crop too tightly as well....hard to un-learn old habits! The colors in these are great, but I'm thinking some would make wonderful B&Ws as well. Did you convert any? Great job!
    saurora wrote:
    These are super! #2 is my favorite as well. I have difficulty remembering not to crop too tightly as well....hard to un-learn old habits! The colors in these are great, but I'm thinking some would make wonderful B&Ws as well. Did you convert any? Great job!

Haven't converted any as of yet but I am thinking the same about the BW. The mom loves BW so I am sure I will have to do a few for her. Thanks a bunch for the comment.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    As a high school senior myself, I find number's 2 and 4 the most appealing, but all are wonderfull. Great job with different backgrounds that really work well.thumb.gif
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
    Thanks Saurora and Aawmphoto.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8